When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another noobie question

kernow

So, now I have started to get my bracelet feeling a bit better, edges are smoother than they were. However, the bracelet still 'feels' new - squeaky even, although that may not be the best word to describe it: it kind of rattles. Any advise to a noob of how to make it feel less cheap?

It is not so cheap, but Nanug (one of the moderators here) always advice to put the bracelett into fully synthetic motor oil and after that it will not squeak for a long long time. For som odd reason he prefers EXXON elite being from up Alaska.

OIL_20-50_ELITE_2.jpg

So, now I have started to get my bracelet feeling a bit better, edges are smoother than they were. However, the bracelet still 'feels' new - squeaky even, although that may not be the best word to describe it: it kind of rattles. Any advise to a noob of how to make it feel less cheap?

Hi - just so you are aware, they are joking about motor oil.

Go to the sporting goods store and buy a bottle of dry-style bike chain lubricant. This will go on wet and penetrate into every mm of the bracelet, then the liquid carrier will evaporate away and leave a coating of teflon over the entire bracelet.

Buff it with a soft cloth and you are all done!!

You will be shocked at how much black greasy filth (machine shop dirt) washes out from the interior.

Go to the sporting goods store and buy a bottle of dry-style bike chain lubricant. This will go on wet and penetrate into every mm of the bracelet, then the liquid carrier will evaporate away and leave a coating of teflon over the entire bracelet.

You will be shocked at how much black greasy filth (machine shop dirt) washes out from the interior.

ixYJAzkzjjTcI.gif

Okay thanks, I was worried for a minute as I can't get EXXON Elite over here. I was going to ask if I could use Yourfrickinpullinmyleg Mineral oil lol. Love it keep up the humour guys :)

Depending on what kind of bracelet, if your talking about Rolex, the vintage up until the new ceramic series-feel cheap and rattle a bit too.

I think a lot of new people to this hobby are surprised by that, when they finally try on a real Rolex bracelet, it's amazing how light they really are.

Expecting some heavy shiny bracelet with authority, you find they are not that way at all, but rather a light and comfy bracelet. The washing with soapy water and chain lube really works to make the reps smoother.

The only difference between the reps and the gens are fit and finish, Rolex steel always seems brighter to me, and if course the precision markings and stamps are better usually.

Depending on what kind of bracelet, if your talking about Rolex, the vintage up until the new ceramic series-feel cheap and rattle a bit too.

I think a lot of new people to this hobby are surprised by that, when they finally try on a real Rolex bracelet, it's amazing how light they really are.

Expecting some heavy shiny bracelet with authority, you find they are not that way at all, but rather a light and comfy bracelet. The washing with soapy water and chain lube really works to make the reps smoother.

The only difference between the reps and the gens are fit and finish, Rolex steel always seems brighter to me, and if course the precision markings and stamps are better usually.

So your rattle and feeling cheap is a vintage thing?