When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Cosc Mechanical Is An Incredible Piece Of Engineering But.....

crystalcranium

I love watches...and I love accuracy. I don't know what it is about having my wife railing at me about changing the channel to her favorite show and being able to look at my watch and say "Honey,...your show doesnt start for another 25 seconds" that is so appealing, but I just love knowing EXACTLY what time it is all the time.

When I read Richard's post on how the quartz revolution almost killed the mechanical watch, I cringed at how close the mechanical art of watchmaking came to losing its' most precious creations and engineering history. I will always love the artistry of mechanical timepieces and those that rise to the level of excellence to be COSC ceretified will always command my respect and awe. A piece of machinery that fluctuates less than 5 parts in over 84,000 units per day is an incredible achievement. These will always remain the watches I consider timeless and collectible.

That being said, the accuracy of quartz watches blows me away sometimes. I'm not arguing accuracy/cost effectiveness here. I get no particular rush from the fact that my father in law's 20 year old Timex quartz he bought for $12 in 1986 keeps more accurate time than my new Omega Chronometer that set me back $2500. Rather, is is just a respect for a technology that allows me confidence that my Quartz Tissot Chronograph will be accurate to 2 seconds a month and I'll need to hack it with "nuclear time" once every 30 days as opposed to once a day for my best mechanicals. Digital displays, flashing alarms, none of the bells and whistles that are the outgrowth of the electric wristwatch are particularly impressive to me but the dead on accuracy of a quartz wrist watch is a modern miracle. If I were dependent on the absolute accuracy of my timepiece for my job or life....I'd have a quartz watch on.

Just my 4 cents of watch muse this morning!!!

Incredibly I have a quartz Citizen that a few YEARS ago I synced against my computer (which was matched via internet time). It got lost in boxes and clothing duringa move and sat in who knows what position in what kind of wheater etc for 3 years.

I found it a few months back... synced my computer to internet time... it was 6 seconds off...

It could well be total luck but that blew me away...

That said I am interested in the 1/5 second quartz movements.... that would provide a decently smooth sweep second but quartz accuracy...

Very nav looking (right down to the slide rule) but quartz and 1/5 second chrono http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/Products.aspx?...iteID=210054369

Edited by Devedander

Incredibly I have a quartz Citizen that a few YEARS ago I synced against my computer (which was matched via internet time). It got lost in boxes and clothing duringa move and sat in who knows what position in what kind of wheater etc for 3 years.

I found it a few months back... synced my computer to internet time... it was 6 seconds off...

It could well be total luck but that blew me away...

That said I am interested in the 1/5 second quartz movements.... that would provide a decently smooth sweep second but quartz accuracy...

Very nav looking (right down to the slide rule) but quartz and 1/5 second chrono http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/Products.aspx?...iteID=210054369

I almost bought the Seiko Flight Chrono you linked to but bought the mentioned Tissot instead for 2 reasons. The Seiko is gold electroplate and will fade, the Tissot is titanium nitride PVD golded and will last a lifetime, and the dial is very small on the Seiko. It looked insignificant compared to the slide bezel.

The quartz accuracy you mentioned is not unusual. I pulled out a very low cost Lorus from a drawer after 2-3 years and it was off by 15 seconds. Just amazing.

I almost bought the Seiko Flight Chrono you linked to but bought the mentioned Tissot instead for 2 reasons. The Seiko is gold electroplate and will fade, the Tissot is titanium nitride PVD golded and will last a lifetime, and the dial is very small on the Seiko. It looked insignificant compared to the slide bezel.

The quartz accuracy you mentioned is not unusual. I pulled out a very low cost Lorus from a drawer after 2-3 years and it was off by 15 seconds. Just amazing.

And sorry to thread jack here, but what is the term for the 1/5 quartz? I thought it was micro quartz but I am not getting anything for it...

Do any of our reps come with 1/5 quartz?

And sorry to thread jack here, but what is the term for the 1/5 quartz? I thought it was micro quartz but I am not getting anything for it...

Do any of our reps come with 1/5 quartz?

Is a running second second hand that sweeps possible in a wristwatch???? I've seen it in quartz desk and wall clocks driven by AA batteries but is it possible with the button battery capacity in a wristwatch?

I know the sweep chrono hand runs in this fashion but that's only for limited operation. I would think driving a second hand continuously through a motion would require far more juice than a clicking movement.

I know the sweep chrono hand runs in this fashion but that's only for limited operation. I would think driving a second hand continuously through a motion would require far more juice than a clicking movement.

Yes, and it pushes battery replacement times to less than a year.

Well in all fairness... we have no problems sending watches off for $200+ services and we are ready to eat costs associated with certain risks of getting these into our countries, buy watch winders that cost hundreds, but swapping a $10 battery once a year is gonna raise brows? :bleh:

Edited by Devedander

i admire the unfailing accuracy too but it comes at a price i think and that is a total lack of charm or character somehow.

that being said i think im about to add one to my collection

It has character, just a different kind. The mechanicals are like a beautiful 1963 Corvette and the Quartz are like a 300hp Lexus Hybrid. As I said in the initial post, my admiration and appreciation is limited to the unbelieveable accuracy this technology affords us.

I love watches...and I love accuracy. I don't know what it is about having my wife railing at me about changing the channel to her favorite show and being able to look at my watch and say "Honey,...your show doesnt start for another 25 seconds" that is so appealing, but I just love knowing EXACTLY what time it is all the time.

HAHAHAHA--oh man, I thought I was the only person that did that!

Wow, down memory lane with RWG.....

Since some of us are 'coming out', I have to admit that this Emerich Meerson quartz was my daily beater for twenty years (before discovering this very forum).

At the time, it was a very elegant French brand with an exclusive boutique in Saint-Germain-des-Pres - a class act at reasonable prices.

The pic is of the model I own, but not my actual watch - which is in almost like-new condition and runs perfectly.

The poor thing hasn't been getting any wrist-time since the discovery of rep Pateks and the Pannies - which make it look very small indeed. I'm too lazy to measure it at the moment, but it can't be more than 37mm - very much like men's watches in the early twentieth century.*

I recently put a new strap on it, and I have to admit that it's still a lovely little piece....

*little indeed - I just measured it and it's an incredible 30mms! Next to the Pannies it looks like a children's watch. Even without the Pannie, it still looks like a children's watch.....

But know what? I still love it.

post-55-1164936056_thumb.jpg

Well in all fairness... we have no problems sending watches off for $200+ services and we are ready to eat costs associated with certain risks of getting these into our countries, buy watch winders that cost hundreds, but swapping a $10 battery once a year is gonna raise brows? :bleh:

It's not the cost. It's the convience. I doubt the bulk of watch consumers would be willing to trade the accuracy and aesthetics of a sweeping quartz second hand for the PIA of having to replace the battery every 9-12 months. Remember, when it comes to driving the technology, we're (the WIS crowd)insignificant.

I have 2 Marathon military watches that are quartz. Yes, they are accurate.

But my favorite accurate watch is the old venerable tuning fork Accutron watch. Mechanical and really really accurate. They are super accurate it is mind boggling.

158969-12799.jpg

158969-12800.jpg

158969-12801.jpg

158969-12802.jpg

Wow,...all of these "out of the closet" pics are incredible. The transparent dial Accutron is beautiful.