When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Big Gonzo build

Nanuq

This watch is joining my stable as a workhorse; it's going to see a lot of rough duty and water. So I wanted it to be tough, yet visually accurate.

What did I learn? The contemporary homage parts houses are now where the auto industry was 50 years ago. With old cars you "fit" parts, you don't "install" them. Having Ziggy do the build was key, as he's a true watchmaker and has the skills to build parts from scratch, or correct existing ones.

Thanks for reading!

That's a really nice watch, and it should make a fine addition to your "stable"!! Also what you said about Ziggy is oh so true. He is a genius at sorting out problems and making things work. Another thing I really like about him, if something was dodgy, or the build just wouldn't work, he would tell you it wouldn't work, and he wouldn't do it, rather than some folks that will cobble something together and hope it works!! He is going to be sorely missed on the forum, and certainly by me.

Hey, a little pepper, a little garlic ... goes a long way!

Sorry I didnt realise you lived in the better part of the wilderness.... where the bears only eat smoked salmon and are cordon bleu trained....

But will they eat your salty balls... :)

Nice one Nook! Jeez there's another watch to add to my 'to do' list. For the record I've had an eta 2846 in my DRSD1665 for seven years now and it's never missed a beat. In fact the watch as a whole is pretty indestructible I treat it with a suitable level of abuse and it just keeps on going exactly as a gen would do but at a fraction of the cost and I would like to suggest at a greater level of satisfaction. The piece you have created is a perfect workhorse and my advice is to treat it with utter abandon, the jobs I've found particularly helpful have been those of a building nature - lots of knocks and scrapes, also plumbing helps - confined spaces, wrenches and dirty water a great combination! Wear it well and in good health my friend and as ever watch out for them big brown beasties.

• Like 1

Wow NANUQ. Your watches make me wanna just give up on modern watches!

:tu:  Another True Believer rescued from the fiery flames of the "modern" Rolex wasteland. 

Welcome..... to the Dark Side.

post-32-0-31825000-1381938510_thumb.gif