When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Auto-wind question

danielv2000

I remember reading somewhere....that you should not hand wind automatics because the gears are so small...if someone cranks on them...its easy to break off the teeth and then you need to replace the whole auto winding system....but this sits under the rotor...I've replaced a few on the 2824,,,so I think its the same deal if you get a good replacement...but that usually means finding a 28** that has something else wrong with it,,but the auto winding is fine...but if you can get the back off....the autowinding system is held on by a few screws and should lift right off..

Could be a number of things, but the auto-wind module is likely either damaged or installed incorrectly (not meshing with winding wheels). Only option is to remove, disassemble, inspect, correct (the problem) & reinstall.

This happened to me recently and as freddy says above, the gears to the auto wind assembly are probably not sitting right, it was an easy fix for my watch, I removed the auto wind assembly and re seated it ensuring the cogs fitted together, when the rotor spins you should then see the gears turning.

when the rotor spins you should then see the gears turning.

More specifically, you need to see the 1st wheel (mainspring barrel) turning relative to motion from the rotor. There are usually 1 or 2 intermediate wheels between the auto-wind & barrel, which may themselves move but may not be transferring motion to the barrel.

Which means.... easy fix?

But I thought daniel actually manual winded it and it hold charge for 2 days?

If I wind it, it holds for 2 days but it won't auto-wind.

Good point that manually winding holds, and auto wind shoots back when you rotate the rotor.

Remove & reinstall the auto-wind module, gently making sure the module properly mates with the movement & is rotating the 1st wheel before tightening the screws.

Agree with Freddy ^^^  

Something not right in the gear meshing somewhere there. 

"Nothing to do with gears meshing. Your have a faulty reversing wheel. Easy and cheap fix for someone that knows what he is doing."

Agree.

The reversers are one of the parts that can cause trouble on Eta 28xx autos if you do not stay on top of them. Rotor bearings can also wear out along with the little wedge shaped post cast on the plate where the crown wheel turns, especially if you hand wind the watch a lot.  

When you hold an Eta 28xx watch flat (dial up or down) and wind it slowly by hand...if the rotor spins it may be a sign of reverser trouble (dirty/dry or worn out).  A little bit of spin is usually Ok but a lot is not.

If it still spins with the watch in a vertical position, there is trouble for sure.