When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The next big things are coming...

Valty

Hey RWG !

Just received the 2 final pieces of the puzzle today...

Can't resist to show you some quick dirty pics - the projects will be finished soon... It will be f*king awesome (at least) :D

Quick side note : is Rolex just stupid, or someone can explain me why a NOS 800 crown don't fit a NOS 8000 tube ? Just like NOS 702 crown and 7020 tube. Very boring if you ask me...

Next time I'll use aftermarket pieces - at least they fit together... Just kidding :)

=> Lesson learned :D

Cheers !

R.

qdp1.JPG

qdp2.JPG

• Like 2

Congratulations on the upcoming projects. What I can see looks very tasty.

As far as the ill-fitting 800/8000 combo goes, how well do you know the sources you purchased them from? I have never found a gen crown that did not fit its correct companion tube, which would make me question the authenticity of 1 or both parts. Sadly, while I could be wrong in your case, I have been seeing an increasing number of aftermarket parts in gen-looking packaging & I usually tell people that fitment problems are often the only indicator of this type of scam. Even long-term Rolex dealers have been fooled by some of this stuff.

Congratulations on the upcoming projects. What I can see looks very tasty. As far as the ill-fitting 800/8000 combo goes, I would question the authenticity of 1 or both parts. I have been seeing an increasing number of aftermarket parts in gen-looking packaging.

Thanks freddy :)

The parts directly comes from Rolex Service, I have no doubts about their originality. I have note the problem with at least 4 different sources for the 702 / 7020 combo. They never fit

About the 800 / 8000, this has been discussed on VRF, so I suppose the problem is common. I just don't see why this is happening.

I usually tell people that fitment problems are often the only indicator of this type of scam. Even long-term Rolex dealers have been fooled by some of this stuff.

This is very concerning - I don't think my parts are replica, at least, I hope.

BTW, I think it's very unlikely some parts like that will be replicated so greatly... but will have fitting problems. This does not make sense if we consider the cheapest replica will fit without problems.

Some another stories about crown / tube fitting will be welcome guys !

Link about the discussion on VRF for 800 / 8000 fitting, from 2009 :

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207593/thread/1248010167/Need+help+on+correct+ref.numbers+for+BC+tube+and+crown

After looking my installed tube (Phong did it), it seems he already drilled out the tube threads. I'm looking to another 8000 tube I have, and the thread are here.

EDIT: I finally managed to put the crown into the tube. I guess I badly tried the first time.

The only weird thing is I can't screw the crown more that 1/2 turn. It seems the gasket inside the crown is very thick. Strange...

cc33, what do you think about it ?

That is the way they are, mine turns a tad more than half a turn as well. All the ones I've had with gen crown/tubes have been the same. You'll see it's natural and normal once the stem and movement are fitted, it also becomes a lot easier for the threads to line up with eachother at that stage. I always had trouble doing it when there wasn't a stem/movement there to help line things up perfectly.

I have a spare so I took a pic to show that there's really only 2 good threads in there before the tube hits the gasket. Normal.

And to add, that guy on vrm from the link you posted just didn't know that he had to broach the tube after installation or the crown wouldn't fit into the tube opening. The 800 crowns all fit the 8000 tubes once installed and broached.

post-38788-0-89661000-1383004505_thumb.j

That is the way they are, mine turns a tad more than half a turn as well. All the ones I've had with gen crown/tubes have been the same. You'll see it's natural and normal once the stem and movement are fitted, it also becomes a lot easier for the threads to line up with eachother at that stage. I always had trouble doing it when there wasn't a stem/movement there to help line things up perfectly.

Thanks for your answer Mr. BC :) I was starting to be a bit worried about it...

Anyways, that's a very strange feeling, I always been used to turn 3 times on all my 7mm crowns...!

So all is fine ! :) :)

I have a spare so I took a pic to show that there's really only 2 good threads in there before the tube hits the gasket. Normal.

And to add, that guy on vrm from the link you posted just didn't know that he had to broach the tube after installation or the crown wouldn't fit into the tube opening. The 800 crowns all fit the 8000 tubes once installed and broached.

That explain a lot of things ! Thanks a lot again for the information !!

The crown pictured is original, right ?

It seems I have a little less space on my service crown. But I suppose all is normal, and the gasket will flattening a little. I just checked and I can screw exactly 1/2 turn, not more.

The one pictured is nos that came in a green paper envelope

So it's older than mine - this may explain it 

EDIT: Problem resolved, after a bit of manipulating with a cloth, I can close the crown near to 3/4 of a turn. It looks just like an original watch once it's closed this way. The crown was probably "too much new". I suppose the gasket will settle down a little with the time... :)

Anyways, this is very disturbing when you never touched a 8mm before... :D Lesson learned !

The 6538 case is from Phong, vintagized, with gen 800 crown, 8000 tube, and gen fat font MKIII ghost insert (damn fine !).

The 6240 case is by far the most perfect vintage Daytona case I have seen so far. I almost can't find differences with a gen case. Case back engraving is just outstanding. There is gen 700 crown and 7000 tube fitted, with gen P302 pushers. All the work done by Phong again !

The 6538 will be fitted with gen pristine conditions 1030, and one of the best 4 lines gilt dial I have seen so far.

And the 6240 will be fitted with a silver "big Daytona" non-oyster dial, genuine original hands, fully serviced / repaired Valjoux 72, and MKIV NOS black bezel.

Once the 2 builds will be completed, I'll take some hours to make a precise review of all my watches : DD 6611 (if not sold at this moment), DJ 1601, SD 1665 GW, Daytona 16520, Daytona 6265, Daytona 6240, and BC 6538 :)

All are gen-specs... Except the cases from most of them, and obviously the movements for the Daytonas.

Will take a lot of time to make these reviews... But I think it will be very nice at the end :)

[ Side note, but now you maybe understand why I can't keep them all... this is why I decided to sell the 6611 ;) ]

Okay gentlemen, I've looked deep into my heart and I can ignore it no longer.

Yes, most could walk by and blissfully ignore your plight, but I need to rise above. I'm duty-bound to right these wrongs ... to bring solace where it's possible.

And so, I have decided to carry your burden. I know it's unexpected, but I cannot stand by and watch you suffer. It breaks my heart to see your anguish as your crowns only screw down 1/2 a turn. I feel your pain.

Please package up the wretched things and send them to me for (cough) disposal. I'll deal with them.

And in return, a shiny new 703 crown for every participant! Guaranteed to screw down at least one full turn.

It's the least I can do for my friends here.

Yes, most could walk by and blissfully ignore your plight, but I need to rise above. I'm duty-bound to right these wrongs ... to bring solace where it's possible.

And so, I have decided to carry your burden. I know it's unexpected, but I cannot stand by and watch you suffer. It breaks my heart to see your anguish as your crowns only screw down 1/2 a turn. I feel your pain.

Please package up the wretched things and send them to me for (cough) disposal. I'll deal with them.

And in return, a shiny new 703 crown for every participant! Guaranteed to screw down at least one full turn.

post-25577-0-71097900-1383071834_thumb.j

Problem resolved, after a bit of manipulating with a cloth, I can close the crown near to 3/4 of a turn.

I get about 3/4 turn on mine as well... Kinda irritating...

I think the min spec is 1.5 turns for Twin/Trip locks. In addition to a crown/tube mis-match or insufficient inner tube diameter (requiring broaching), stem length (if too long) can also limit the number of crown turns.

:D :D

You made me laugh during a family meal !!!

I get about 3/4 turn on mine as well... Kinda irritating...

Having said, I agree with Ubi it's quite irritating to have a big crown that screw so badly... I don't understand why the inner crown gasket is so thick.

I suppose this can explain why they quickly give up the 8mm crowns... The "price" of the vintage I guess :)

I think the min spec is 1.5 turns for Twin/Trip locks. In addition to a crown/tube mis-match or insufficient inner tube diameter (requiring broaching), stem length (if too long) can also limit the number of crown turns.

I suppose this is different on the 8mm BC. On my side, the inner tube diameter looks fine. No stem on it. I think the limiting factor is the inner gasket into the crown. I barely see 1 1/2 thread in it.

I have just the opposite problem, I can't find an inner gasket big/thick enough!

Are there any sources you know of?

I only use NOS / packaged crowns & tube to avoid buying damaged parts. I seen to many damaged threads / gaskets by the past.

If you have gasket problem, I suppose any good watchmaker have gaskets for replacement ? At least, my watchmaker have these