When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How often to pressure test or WP

Erict719

For a watch that is regularly exposed to water (including rain or getting it wet while washing your hands), once/year is the minimum. Keep in mind that over-tightening the caseback/crown will accelerate gasket wear & a gasket that sealed yesterday may not tomorrow. In my case, for rare or important watches (that covers most of my collection), I avoid moisture altogether even though I run everything through the tester regularly.

If you love it, test it!! Like Freddy said, once a year. AFA vintage watches, I've pretty much decided that my old watches need to stay out of harms way. Found this out the hard way when my 1665 got moisture inside about 6 months after passing a pressure test to 8 atmos. Found out the old T39 had a crack at the. base edge. Luckily, it was just fogging and easily corrected, but after a new crystal I decided that it needs to stay Away from water.

If its not the sea, swimming pool better?

I see lots swim with them.

Panerai153, I got your old wm9 v3 lol!

But I never tested it after, just grease it once, but shower am washing no problem!

The thing is I want to test, but can't find a local shop that have a tester..

Edited by Erict719

Erica,

Glad the old WM9 is still going strong!! AFA seawater vs pool water, if your watch floods, fresh water isn't going to do as much damage to the movement as seawater. Salt water is hell on a movement. In fact most recommend if you get a seawater flood, dump it into a bucket of fresh water and try to flush out the salt water as quickly as possible. Usually they flood at the most inopportune times, you are out on a dive boat, come back up from your first dive,and you notice your watch has water in it. Hopefully, they have fresh water so that you can rinse out the inside and hopefully salvage everything, if you don't notice it for hours, then you have a big problem, especially if it's a small leak, and you don't notice anything for quite a while. I have gotten to the point where I only wear watches on dives that are fairly inexpensive, fairly recently tested,and can be replaced if they are ruined.