When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to tell if watch actually has Superluminova?

GWP123

Hey All, I just bought a BP Submariner and received it today! Awesome watch! great feel and look. Anyway, I notice it doesnt relly glow in the dark unless it is charged. I was under the impression that superluminova doesnt need any charging or prompting. Can anyone explain the difference between superluminova from other lume and what the lume is like on the gen?

Check out the first post on this forum:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f66/superluminova-vs-tritium-ron-engels-144.html

Teaches you about Tritium (a radio-active lume that was used long ago) vs Superluminova

I'm sure it'll answer your question!

Thanks, this was a great resource. I gather than whether it is luminova or super luminova it needs a charge and will ultimately fade less and less without a charge. 

Thanks, this was a great resource. I gather than whether it is luminova or super luminova it needs a charge and will ultimately fade less and less without a charge. 

I tend to not really charge my watch's lume - if I charge it, I do it at home, and by the time I actually am out (after picking up girlfriend, driving to the destination, etc, etc, etc) the lume is already gone lol...

If you don't know how to charge lume:

If you have any iPhone/Smartphone:

go to video

turn on flash

record a video

face the flash brightness to the face of your watch

within 1 minute your watch should be lumiously glowing

:)

Actually, like a lot of details in the rep hobby, the concept of "superlume" is rather subjective.

My personal understanding is that a superlumed watch is one that "provides a bright glowing luminosity on the markers and hands after about a minute of charging in sunlight or other types of bright lights, for a sustained period".

Notice that my statement itself is subjective. What is bright to me may be a little too dim for you. What is a sustained period for me may be too short for you. Another good way of defining a superlume is to compare the lume of the watch to that of its genuine counterpart. Honestly, I have seen some relumed reps that display brighter and better lumes compared to their genuine counterparts.

Having said all that, the lume has been something nice to look at for me, but not essential. If I ever wanted to know the time in pitch black, I just press a button on my iphone. Like the chronograph function on a watch, a "superlume" is generally nice to have, but mostly non-essential, unless you wear the watch for diving to deep depths consistently, or you work in a cave as a bat keeper. Or something along those lines. :lol:

Super luminova is a brand name ..it was a Japnese company that created it and is currently sold under license through RCTriTec under Luminova AG...

There are many luminescent brands and methods of luminescence for watches...

So dont assume because it is bright that it is a superluminova lume.... you can get many different makes and types of lume using differing chemical processes...

Tritium is still used but mainly only seen in tubes on watches ..like DeepBlue use etc

You can also get stronger Superluminova lume that is produced by Luminova AG.... Some lumers use this and it is stronger and longer lasting than superluminova although it is made by luminova..

The basic difference is the patented method of making and chemicaks used like strontium aluminate....

Then of course it all started with radium back in the early 1900s... I still think of those poor women that used to apply the stuff and ended up with radium poisoning from licking the brushes to a point to apply to watch dials :( God rest em

However a good source for understanding lume is the Glow in the dark forum... which is all things lume

The point is dont assume that because it has excellent lume it is either superluminova or made by luminova AG :) Like all luminscent makers you can get a range of colurs in the range and can create colours by mixing those available.. you can also see gen brands with bespoke lume ... say like OP ho have thier own specially formulated lume made by Luminova AG.... this is more noticeable in their more recent models with 'Dirty Lume' or 'Old Radium' panatone

Another thing to note is that Superluminova lume can be affected by various methods of application by brands and modders etc... this can be done in the mix used or the type of admixtures used like coluration, varnishes etc etc...