When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Submariner from TrustyTime sucked

MuffinFlavored

I'll admit that once the watch did break, I definitely did take the wrong route of repair by opening the entire watch then disassembling the movement piece for fun. I probably could have gotten in contact with them then ordered a unstripped crown/stem (I believe that is what it was)

I am hesitant to order another but I definitely do want a relipca two-tone Submariner (last generation, blue face)

What do you recommend I do? I purchased the $178 Asian movement-containing watch last time and am apprehensive to purchase the same watch that only lasted me approximately 3 weeks of extremely light usage before having a broken crown/winding mechanism.

I see that more expensive style movements are offered, but I do not think higher quality crowns/stems are used. Can somebody confirm this? I would hate to spend close to $400 for a watch with the same faulty piece and only a smoother tick.

I did contact TrustyTime about it and their response was "you get what you pay for"

Is there another brand I should try? This is the only replica watch I want. I get that the hobby can be addicting. Can all of those more professional and experienced than I am please chime in?

Thank you so much!

Totally unacceptable attitude from the dealer, the watch should have lasted considerably longer... My experience is that for the most, watches tend to be fairly solid (although a generation of the Planet Ocean was very prone to crown/tube failure) so I'd actually suggest buying the exact same piece again. I doubt you will have the same issue again :good::drinks:

• Like 1

What's up with the dealer's attitude? They sounds like they are unhappy that you bought a $100+ cheapie from them and deny you after sales service?

I doubt they will have more customers with that kind of after sales support.

Thanks for the heads up, probably wouldn't even buy a screw from them any time.

Strange, Andrew has always been professional and helpful with my issues. Then again my cheapest purchase was $350. I've purchased 4 watches from him. 3 Swiss eta movements and one Asian. Needless to say never a prob with my Swiss watches, Asian showed up doa and he offered to replace it. In my limited sample I'd say Swiss movements are less prone to issues. Best of luck.

When you buy a watch with the Asian 21j movement, it helps to have a backup plan for when it breaks down!

You should be able to buy another 2813 and swap it in for less than $40. Maybe $60 or $70 if you have to pay a watchmaker to do it.

Certainly cheaper than buying another watch for $178.

get in touch with raffles time he sells these cheap movements and other parts i have had bad swiss movement watches, i ordered two ceramc subs swiss clones one was perfect and the other was badly finished and had stem/winding issues, my first ever 15 usd rep 10 years old and still running great with a china 21j     Good luck !!!

That was bad luck on the first time. Ways to go in mop: try to buy one that works from a member here on the forum/ order the same again with a 70% chance its 100% ok or as You really like the watch and model and are ordering it again go for the Asian eta (its just 70 to 80 usd more) and its a better movement anyways (doesn´t make the noise the basic comes with) and the smoother movement is nicer on a watch You want to keep (28.800 bhp). I don´t or very seldom wind my automatic reps. Too much stress on the mechanism in mop. Prefer to shake the wrist a little more in the beginning. From what I´ve seen in mop the factories have some kind of internal quality control and divide their pieces into three batches: the worst cases, misaligned dials, sloppy hands go into the basic ones, the next batch goes into Asian Eta´s and the best are reserved for the Swiss Eta´s (which are too expensive and "less swiss" anyways). I do buy the basic ones but its a lottery - You may get a 100% good one, but with most "something is wrong" meaning the movement is fine but the case isn´t, or all is fine but the dial is misaligned or...... These may be irrelevant minor issues or big ones like in Your case.

Just a tip: I´ve bought Nyogel (Synthetic hydrocarbon grease) and first thing I do is put it on the stem to get it working smooth, its expensive but it does not attack the rubbers, first class experience and result. Good luck

That was bad luck on the first time. Ways to go in mop: try to buy one that works from a member here on the forum/ order the same again with a 70% chance its 100% ok or as You really like the watch and model and are ordering it again go for the Asian eta (its just 70 to 80 usd more) and its a better movement anyways (doesn´t make the noise the basic comes with) and the smoother movement is nicer on a watch You want to keep (28.800 bhp). I don´t or very seldom wind my automatic reps. Too much stress on the mechanism in mop. Prefer to shake the wrist a little more in the beginning. From what I´ve seen in mop the factories have some kind of internal quality control and divide their pieces into three batches: the worst cases, misaligned dials, sloppy hands go into the basic ones, the next batch goes into Asian Eta´s and the best are reserved for the Swiss Eta´s (which are too expensive and "less swiss" anyways). I do buy the basic ones but its a lottery - You may get a 100% good one, but with most "something is wrong" meaning the movement is fine but the case isn´t, or all is fine but the dial is misaligned or...... These may be irrelevant minor issues or big ones like in Your case.

Just a tip: I´ve bought Nyogel (Synthetic hydrocarbon grease) and first thing I do is put it on the stem to get it working smooth, its expensive but it does not attack the rubbers, first class experience and result. Good luck

There is a chance the problem was user error, as I would wear the watch for one day, then leave it sitting for 5+ and be forced to wind it as it had run out of momentum. I may not be as smart as I think; maybe I didn't properly pull/wind the stem. I stripped something enough for the crown to not want to stick onto the stem anymore. This is actually the second time I've done that. Before was with a really cheap watch off of some random website that isn't even mentioned here (SwissWatches or something)

I see a Submariner at WatchDen.com for less than Andrew's TrustyTime. I don't see how this could be a good thing.

"You got what you paid for" is not fair IMO. Even the cheap version should last more than 3 weeks.

Sorry to hear!

Totally unacceptable attitude from the dealer, the watch should have lasted considerably longer... My experience is that for the most, watches tend to be fairly solid (although a generation of the Planet Ocean was very prone to crown/tube failure) so I'd actually suggest buying the exact same piece again. I doubt you will have the same issue again :good::drinks:

What's up with the dealer's attitude? They sounds like they are unhappy that you bought a $100+ cheapie from them and deny you after sales service?

I doubt they will have more customers with that kind of after sales support.

Thanks for the heads up, probably wouldn't even buy a screw from them any time.

Strange, Andrew has always been professional and helpful with my issues. Then again my cheapest purchase was $350. I've purchased 4 watches from him. 3 Swiss eta movements and one Asian. Needless to say never a prob with my Swiss watches, Asian showed up doa and he offered to replace it. In my limited sample I'd say Swiss movements are less prone to issues. Best of luck.

carliv im the same andrew has been good.but if he said that to me he would never get my business again

When you buy a watch with the Asian 21j movement, it helps to have a backup plan for when it breaks down!

You should be able to buy another 2813 and swap it in for less than $40. Maybe $60 or $70 if you have to pay a watchmaker to do it.

Certainly cheaper than buying another watch for $178.

get in touch with raffles time he sells these cheap movements and other parts i have had bad swiss movement watches, i ordered two ceramc subs swiss clones one was perfect and the other was badly finished and had stem/winding issues, my first ever 15 usd rep 10 years old and still running great with a china 21j     Good luck !!!

Where do you all recommend I buy the Submariner I desire from? 

There is a chance the problem was user error, as I would wear the watch for one day, then leave it sitting for 5+ and be forced to wind it as it had run out of momentum. I may not be as smart as I think; maybe I didn't properly pull/wind the stem. I stripped something enough for the crown to not want to stick onto the stem anymore. This is actually the second time I've done that. Before was with a really cheap watch off of some random website that isn't even mentioned here (SwissWatches or something)

g.

I'm thinking you should probably stick with quartz watches.

I see a Submariner at WatchDen.com for less than Andrew's TrustyTime. I don't see how this could be a good thing.

There's usually no need to wind it to get it started, just let the rotor do its job for a bit an give the watch a little nudge.

But of course you should be able to wind it, at least carefully. I know the A7750 can suffer from stripped gears if you're not careful. But what do you mean that the crown didn't want to stick to the stem? The crown should be threaded and winding should actually tighten it. 

I've had good dealings with TrustyTime in the past, but I read on another forum about customers getting similar responses lately. But anyway, by disassembling the watch for fun you voided any warranties so...  

Why don't you just buy another movement and have a watchmaker put it in your watch. Probably pick up an Asian clone Movement and get it installed. You should be good to go. If the stem is so tight that you are stripping out the crown threads, then there is a problem. You did say that you had this happen with another watch, so there is a possibility that you are yanking on the crown. You have to remember watches are precision instruments, and you need to use your Herculean strength accordingly!!

There's usually no need to wind it to get it started, just let the rotor do its job for a bit an give the watch a little nudge.

But of course you should be able to wind it, at least carefully. I know the A7750 can suffer from stripped gears if you're not careful. But what do you mean that the crown didn't want to stick to the stem? The crown should be threaded and winding should actually tighten it.

I've had good dealings with TrustyTime in the past, but I read on another forum about customers getting similar responses lately. But anyway, by disassembling the watch for fun you voided any warranties so...

I read right on the TrustyTime website that crowns/stems aren't covered in the warranty (go figure, the parts that actually break...)

One watch had the threading where the crown and body meet come off. That was $100 wasted.

The other had the crown come off of the stem somewhere during that 3 stage date set/hour set/minute set stage.

I wouldn't wind the watch if I didn't have to.

By not wearing it for a few days, it would lose the correct time/date.

Should I just buy a winding case to alleviate that problem?

Why don't you just buy another movement and have a watchmaker put it in your watch. Probably pick up an Asian clone Movement and get it installed. You should be good to go. If the stem is so tight that you are stripping out the crown threads, then there is a problem. You did say that you had this happen with another watch, so there is a possibility that you are yanking on the crown. You have to remember watches are precision instruments, and you need to use your Herculean strength accordingly!!

Are you saying that a large portion of the watch price isn't really the bracelet/the body, but the movement?

I'm thinking you should probably stick with quartz watches.

What do you think I was doing wrong?

The dealer attitude is bad in this case.

For a $50 or $500 item, customers should be accorded with the same attitude, though of course, the options of recourse would vary for the different levels of products. 

Your best option right now would be to get a new movement for the watch and find a watchsmith to transplant it. 

All the best.

The dealer attitude is bad in this case.

For a $50 or $500 item, customers should be accorded with the same attitude, though of course, the options of recourse would vary for the different levels of products. 

Your best option right now would be to get a new movement for the watch and find a watchsmith to transplant it. 

All the best.

Like a moron, I scrapped the entire thing. Don't ask.

Where would you recommend I get a good Submariner 16613 two-tone blue-face non-ceramic replica now? Who should I contact? What old sites are gone/what new sites are good deals? What am I looking to pay, etc.?

Like a moron, I scrapped the entire thing. Don't ask.

Where would you recommend I get a good Submariner 16613 two-tone blue-face non-ceramic replica now? Who should I contact? What old sites are gone/what new sites are good deals? What am I looking to pay, etc.?

You mean, like, where can you find the best sub?

Tbh it sounds a bit like this hobby isn't really your thing. 

Where do you all recommend I buy the Submariner I desire from?

Personally speaking, I'd say buy one of these...

http://www.cqout.com/item.asp?id=17987263

They're acceptable quality* and I've had no issues with this seller. At this price point, the watch becomes almost disposable should anything go wrong (but chances are, it will be fine) :tu:

*Will probably have flaws in replication which a Rolex expert will be able to identify if they were to examine the watch, but to 99% of other observers, will just look like 'a nice watch', and should run smoothly :good::drinks:

I read right on the TrustyTime website that crowns/stems aren't covered in the warranty (go figure, the parts that actually break...)

One watch had the threading where the crown and body meet come off. That was $100 wasted.

The other had the crown come off of the stem somewhere during that 3 stage date set/hour set/minute set stage.

I wouldn't wind the watch if I didn't have to.

By not wearing it for a few days, it would lose the correct time/date.

Should I just buy a winding case to alleviate that problem?

At a guess

> One watch had the threading where the crown and body meet come off. That was $100 wasted.

The crown screws onto a tube which is either screwed or glued into the main body. The crown is meant to unscrew from the tube, but the tube should never unscrew from the body. If that is what happened it was most likely caused by you screwing the crown down too tightly, so when you undid it, the tube actually came away from the body.

> The other had the crown come off of the stem somewhere during that 3 stage date set/hour set/minute set stage

The crown is attached to the stem, a thin metal rod that goes deep inside the watch and that winds it and adjusts the time, day and date. When you turn the crown, you turn the stem whcih turns various gears inside the watch. As you know you can gently pull the crown out one or two clicks to adjust the day/date or the time. There is a thing inside the watch that obviously stops the stem and crown just falling out, but it's just a tiny, thin piece of metal (it's got to fit inside the watch along with everything else!) and if you pull on the crown too hard it's easy to bend, break or even just make it bounce around a bit so that the crown and stem come right out.

Once it comes out you can't just push it back in (normally, i've gotten away with that ONCE but the watch didn't have any day/date complications and I was very lucky).

Sounds like you're just being a bit too rough with reps. They're NOT as tough as the genuine article.

I don't think it will make any difference if you spend any more money to get an Asian movement, it will still just be as fragile.

Buy a really cheapie from the M2M board, just so you can learn how little force it takes to pull the crown out, screw it down lightly, etc, and it won't matter if you break it. A couple of months wearing it and getting used to it and you'll be fine and can then go on the hunt for that perfect Sub with a quality movement in it!

Personally speaking, I'd say buy one of these...

http://www.cqout.com/item.asp?id=17987263

They're acceptable quality* and I've had no issues with this seller. At this price point, the watch becomes almost disposable should anything go wrong (but chances are, it will be fine) :tu:

*Will probably have flaws in replication which a Rolex expert will be able to identify if they were to examine the watch, but to 99% of other observers, will just look like 'a nice watch', and should run smoothly :good::drinks:

They won't have cheaper materials than watches that cost more?

I can't find an item that looks like a 16613.

http://www.cqout.com/item.asp?id=18125357

http://www.cqout.com/item.asp?id=13886113

Are those 116613s?

At a guess

> One watch had the threading where the crown and body meet come off. That was $100 wasted.

The crown screws onto a tube which is either screwed or glued into the main body. The crown is meant to unscrew from the tube, but the tube should never unscrew from the body. If that is what happened it was most likely caused by you screwing the crown down too tightly, so when you undid it, the tube actually came away from the body.

> The other had the crown come off of the stem somewhere during that 3 stage date set/hour set/minute set stage

The crown is attached to the stem, a thin metal rod that goes deep inside the watch and that winds it and adjusts the time, day and date. When you turn the crown, you turn the stem whcih turns various gears inside the watch. As you know you can gently pull the crown out one or two clicks to adjust the day/date or the time. There is a thing inside the watch that obviously stops the stem and crown just falling out, but it's just a tiny, thin piece of metal (it's got to fit inside the watch along with everything else!) and if you pull on the crown too hard it's easy to bend, break or even just make it bounce around a bit so that the crown and stem come right out.

Once it comes out you can't just push it back in (normally, i've gotten away with that ONCE but the watch didn't have any day/date complications and I was very lucky).

Sounds like you're just being a bit too rough with reps. They're NOT as tough as the genuine article.

I don't think it will make any difference if you spend any more money to get an Asian movement, it will still just be as fragile.

Buy a really cheapie from the M2M board, just so you can learn how little force it takes to pull the crown out, screw it down lightly, etc, and it won't matter if you break it. A couple of months wearing it and getting used to it and you'll be fine and can then go on the hunt for that perfect Sub with a quality movement in it!

Where is the M2M board? Does that stand for "member to member" which is a forum that can be found here?

They won't have cheaper materials than watches that cost more?

I can't find an item that looks like a 16613.

http://www.cqout.com/item.asp?id=13886113

Are those 116613s?

I don't know what model 16613 relates to :pardon: If you mean the two-tone blue Submariner, the seller I linked to sells this version of it.

However, I understand that different releases (by Rolex) have variations in the end links on the bracelet...

With regards 'cheaper materials', I find that it is often the reverse, and that the watches which Forum Trusted Dealers sell for about $120, are these same 'cheaper' watches being sold for a higher price... The ones I have bought over the years are almost always waterproof (only two in dozens of purchases have leaked) and all keep good time... There was another seller on this site which had a much wider variety, but they got barred from the site for breaching the three negative feedback rule when unrealistic n00bs complained about stupid things, but the seller I linked, I have had good experiences with, and happy with the watches I received :good::drinks: