When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage ROLEX?

lukenorris2011

Have patience, more will come up. it seems like things are cyclic, you see a whole bunch of PAMs, then it's maybe IWC then Rolex, Vintage stuff. It seems like when it rains it pours!!  I have been looking for a AP S/S diver version 4.1 or 5 for weeks, then suddenly yesterday, there were three of them on the sales forum.

There are some really nice frankens out there, just need to be ready to pull the trigger when one you like comes up.

Personally, I believe the vintage subs, and SD's can be made more true to the genuine than the  GMT. To me the biggest tell with the GMT is the crown/crown guard ratio. As far as  I know, all the rep cases are set up for a 6mm crown, however the genuine uses a 5.3mm crown. When you put a 5.3 crown on the watch, the space between the CG and the sides of the crown are too far apart. Doesn't seem like much, but it's a "tell". 

Panerai, I agree. I got really lucky on a vintage gen Gmt purchase when I was younger and silly me let it go for silly money (I was 18.) so I always felt the need to replace it. A vintage sub is what is my grail. And for the cycles. I guess your correct. At the moment seems like there's no end of super franken IWC' For sale. We will see.... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Akitas? I can understand your interest... wonderful dogs but wow do they shed!

She's a 1964 gen with an aftermarket small-arrow GMT hand (I still have the original). The tropical gilt dial was installed by my local Rolex AD.

Yes I know I'm crazy to have four. Mum,dad & two daughters. A real pack. Amazing. Nanuq...Hmm don't show me this stuff. Makes me want to blow all my mortgage deposit. I only have £4/5000 max to spend on my next watch. Somebody must have a big crown etc they want to part with. O god. I hate this hobby.... Why did I start. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stop it cc33. It's your fault I'm going to spend thousands lol. I agree. A phong case or mq case can be shaped, aged etc to achieve what you want. But dials...Have to spend Atleast £1000 on a custom for what I want. My theory is why spend 3k and not be happy? Might aswel spend 5. I have a gen 1030 movement And a 50's box. I'm going to start sourcing.. F**k it. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok I'll stop! Lol. You are making a good decision, make it yourself or gather the parts and have a professional make it for you like I do. It's way more satisfying and you end up with exactly what you want. The tropic 17 superdome is essential, it will be 450$ shipped, I'll let you know when one is available, next a gen crown helps to pull off the look, you can find one for not too much dough if you try and it will fit on a phong or Minh tube so no problem there. A great fat font insert is easy to find and imo important to the overall look. Phong's bezel is nearly perfect, I'm anal and prefer the gens but nobody will know except you.

Yes you dog you, but you built one that would fool 99% of the guys over on the VRF !!   :1a: That is probably, hell not probably, it is the nicest build  I have ever seen. And W, he isn't going to sell that GMT, that's just his excuse for posting a photo!! He will probably be buried with that watch. Have you ever seem nanug sell a watch? unless he' selling them on EBay, it sure isn't happening :whistling:

Luke, if you have that sort of money to spend, you can pick up a nice genuine GMT (1675 or  early 16750) for that amount of coin. Or you can build a really nice big crown with a top of the line case, a great dial and a genuine movement if you shop carefully. I doubt that you are going to see any like cc33's come up for sale on the forum, maybe once in a great while, but nothing like his.

I can't believe you would sell that chocolate beauty Nanuq.. That's a keeper :)

I guess I should keep it, eventually I hope to make my Big Gonzo a tropical then I'll have a triumvirate! :tu: