When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone Here Live In Hawaii?

fotoman

Pho:

1.275 Million people live in Hawaii, of that 905,000 live on the island of Oahu, shitty crowded traffic. Even Oahu, as crowded as it is, has a lot to offer besides Waikiki and Pearl Harbor. There is the beauty of the island when you get away from Honolulu itself. Waikiki to me is like visiting Miami in the Pacific, (I'm sure you can relate being in S.Florida), its a vibrant city, but its a city and if that is all that you are interested in it has plenty to choose from. If this will be your first time, be a tourist, rent a car and drive around the island, there are also plenty of tours that will drive you all around the island in one day stopping at all the major sites, that way you can get a feel for the place in a short time. Here's one for $58 a head. Then you can concentrate on points of interest and downtown Waikiki later, plenty of night life and things to do, pub crawls, etc. In fact I'm heading over there this weekend for the end-of-Vertigo-5th-leg-tour U2 concert.

If you are not into scenic beauty then take a surf lesson, doesn't matter which island, its something you can say you did in Hawaii that, believe it or not, most tourist don't try. Surf & bodyboarding spots abound on Oahu. On Maui we have more windsurf, kitesurf and snorkeling spots. Again, which island(s) are you planning to be on and I can give you more insight. B)

Pho:

1.275 Million people live in Hawaii, of that 905,000 live on the island of Oahu, shitty crowded traffic. Even Oahu, as crowded as it is, has a lot to offer besides Waikiki and Pearl Harbor. There is the beauty of the island when you get away from Honolulu itself. Waikiki to me is like visiting Miami in the Pacific, (I'm sure you can relate being in S.Florida), its a vibrant city, but its a city and if that is all that you are interested in it has plenty to choose from. If this will be your first time, be a tourist, rent a car and drive around the island, there are also plenty of tours that will drive you all around the island in one day stopping at all the major sites, that way you can get a feel for the place in a short time. Here's one for $58 a head. Then you can concentrate on points of interest and downtown Waikiki later, plenty of night life and things to do, pub crawls, etc. In fact I'm heading over there this weekend for the end-of-Vertigo-5th-leg-tour U2 concert.

If you are not into scenic beauty then take a surf lesson, doesn't matter which island, its something you can say you did in Hawaii that, believe it or not, most tourist don't try. Surf & bodyboarding spots abound on Oahu. On Maui we have more windsurf, kitesurf and snorkeling spots. Again, which island(s) are you planning to be on and I can give you more insight. B)

cool, thanks very much - ok, here is what happened, last week i was offered a free cruise - and free air fair to hawaii - how can you turn that down right. :)

Unfortunatly, i will have very little time honolulu as i will basically have a little less than a day to after i get there before i get on the ship. (after allowing for some time to recover from the 14hr trip)

i figured pearl harbour is about all i will accomplish

I'm sailing on NCL's Pride of Hawaii here is the itenerary

Mon Honolulu -- 8:00 PM sail away

Tue Hilo 8:00 AM 6:00 PM sail away

Wed, Thu Maui (Kahului) 8:00 am overnight 6:00 PM sail away

Fri Kona 8:00 AM 6:00 PM sail away

Sat, Sun Kauai 8:00 Am overnight 2:00 PM sail away

Mon Honolulu 7:00 AM --

haul ass back to work

we were going to come in early to honalulu, but there is some crazy marathon that is taking up every damn hotel on the island :) so we had to change plans to sunday.

Since i have a 4mo old and i just took a vacation in october (but this was too good to pass up) i can't justify staying any longer after the cruise.

Thanks for the advice :)

Hawaii's at the top of my most "liveable" places on Planet Earth.

Every trip there is a different experience....simply breathtaking.

Now...where are my long lost blueprints drafts for "a strategic entry into Hawaii".....

Enjoy yourself Pho! don't forget to check out those Shrimp Trucks if you ever travel up to Northshore. ;)

When you are in Kona, hopefully the boat will take you near the active volcano at night. Quite a sight to see. The fishing there is second to none. When on Oahu, climbing Diamondhead was fun, and we went to some pass, where the wind just whips through, I think legend had the King sacrificing or killing someone there, pretty awesome too. My wife took the helicopter ride in Maui (Air Maui) and loved that. Truly a paradise. Couldn't imagine living there all of the time, and did I mention the golf, the best in the world. Pearl Harbor is a moving place to visit, especially standing over the Arizona. Have fun on your trip, would be hard not to!

I'm sailing on NCL's Pride of Hawaii here is the itenerary

Mon Honolulu -- 8:00 PM sail away

Tue Hilo 8:00 AM 6:00 PM sail away

Wed, Thu Maui (Kahului) 8:00 am overnight 6:00 PM sail away

Fri Kona 8:00 AM 6:00 PM sail away

Sat, Sun Kauai 8:00 Am overnight 2:00 PM sail away

Mon Honolulu 7:00 AM --

we were going to come in early to honolulu, but there is some crazy marathon that is taking up every damn hotel on the island :) so we had to change plans to sunday.

Ship Cruising, that ain't gonna leave you much time to see a lot, maybe choose one thing each island. That's okay, one trip here and I guarantee you'll be back. Suggest you not try to do too much each day, especially with a 4-month-old, just relax and enjoy the scent of plumeria, the outstanding weather, try the beaches and ocean. Maui, Kauai and Oahu have great beaches, Big Island has fairly none. Neighbor island living is really laid back.

Oahu - Pearl Harbor, still inspiring and a must visit.

Hilo - Not much there, if you have time, car or bus it early morning to Kilauea Visitors Center and maybe see the live volcano.

Kona - shopping

Maui - Car or bus excursion to Lahainatown or heli ride. I'll PM you.

Kauai - Best beaches, most lush tropical island to tour (because it rains all the time!) or definitely a heli ride.

Yeah, every Honolulu room this weekend has been booked solid for over a month, three major events have filled the town and not even condo rentals are available, Honolulu Marathon, U2 Concert, and Vans Triple Crown of Surfing. :sun: