When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

First Time Here And Green As They Get

TK570

Hello everyone.

A friend tipped me that this forum would be a great place to find what I need.

Brief history on me... I am a late 30 something professional who never uses a watch. I don't even own one (seriously). I always rely on my cell phone etc. My lack of a watch started in my early 20's when I got more serious in my martial arts hobby which requires a lot of contact in the wrist area and anything in my wrist area created a problem. Anyway, I stopped using them and never looked back.

Fast forward to today and I keep getting nagged by my wife that I need a nice watch for events like weddings, important business meetings etc. I refuse to pay the super premium prices of the real thing when I would not be wearing it regularly so this route seems to be a good choice.

SO... my I am looking for some advice on where to look for a nice really high quality replica of something like a nice end Rolex. I use that brand name since they are really the only high end watches I have ever been exposed to. I know nothing about the different models or features or prices for that matter so I could use a little guide to them both visually and with feature description. Then price and reliability of a dealer.

Any help would be appreciated and I appologize if I am yet another newbie who brings nothing to the group.

Thanks

Lonnie

Tk570

Fast forward to today and I keep getting nagged by my wife that I need a nice watch for events like weddings, important business meetings etc.

Woah, your wife is telling you to buy a watch?

:1a:

We are not worthy.

Ok, now that's out of the way, what sort of watch do you want? Are you looking for sporty, dressy, gold, steel, chrono, handwind, expensive, cheap ...?

Usually, if you have a look throughout the eyecandy section, you should see stuff you like. Let your wife have a look too, and see what you both think you need. You want something recognisable like a Rolex or an Omega? Something less known like a Breitling or IWC? How about something cheaper and less likely to be called out as a fake like a Tag Heuer? Or would you like something obscure like a Panerai?

ps. Welcome to our corner of the Internet.

Hi Lonnie and welcome...

First tip is read, read, read and then read more. Then search if you can't find what you're looking for and as last resort ask a question in the forums.

Best place to start are the Edge guides to replica forums that are pinned to the top of the "hi I'm new here" section.

Then I suggest you research some more by looking through the various brand and eye candy sections to form your own opinions. I guarantee you will extract far more pleasure (and get better value for money) if you spend some time researching rather than being impatient and diving straight into a purchase.

You will also very quickly learn that there is far more to watches than just Rolex and start to fall in love with the brands that most people on the street will never have heard of.

Once you've formed an opinion on the watch you like start scanning the dealer and dealer review sections to decide what dealer is best for you. I guarantee that the answer to any of your questions will already be in a thread somewhere.

Good luck!

JG

Martial arts, huh?

I've been involved with combat sports too... I can still use a watch. You know... I always take my watch off before I go training. :lol:

Welcome. Check my signature links for some pointers.

Yeah my wife wants me to buy a watch... I guess that is a little odd for you guys huh?

I practice Wing Chun ( a form of Kung Fu) which uses a lot of sensitivity in the forearms and a watch is both a limitation in my ability to feel things as well as an aid to an opponent in trying to grasp or hold and arm.

Back to the subject at hand...

I will troll through the sections mentioned and see what I find.

I really don't know anything about any watch brands besides the occasional view of the Rolex brand so I am not sold on any name over another. Truely a babe in the woods on this.

I am not much for the "gold bling" look so stainless or something in that realm would be best.

Pugwash - I like that a lot from the looks. Is your board name from Theadore the tug boat? My kids used to watch that when they were little and there was a submarine on the show named Pugwash.

Lonnie

Tk570

First of all welcome here :D

I would suggest a nice PAM111 or PAM183

Click here for pics of the PAM111

Click here for PAM183

If your friend already is around and have purchased some watches i would check up his collection and see what you like most of his stuff...

BTW: I'll bet this won't be your last watch :whistling:

Really? For a first time buyer with no real interest? I must disagree, I'm afraid.

Not sure about it... most of my friends not "keen" on watches liked my PAM111 most when they tried some on... :whistling:

BTW my first one was a PAM111 too :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well after much debate with my wife she and I both agree that we like the Rolex Cosmograph Daytona with the white face in stainless steel. I personally like it with a black leather band but she likes the traditional metal band look.

Anyway, this is what I think I am looking for now...

168344-10468.jpg

Image lifted from a site where I was doing some research on the different looks of this watch.

So can anyone point me to a good quality replica of this with the proper sweeping movement (I hope I said that right).

Thanks

Lonnie

Tk570

I suppose I am still a member of the 501st but I have not been active in anything for several years.

I was using the number long before it became popular with the trooping crowd for a number of reasons and it has just stuck so I keep it as my online presence. However it does originate from SW.

Lonnie

Tk570