When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Trustytime's Breitling Superocean 44?

jayely1

Hi, it looks good and comes on a SS bracelet. The Asian ETA movement is fine, normally I don´t go for the more expensive swiss. Torobravos has the 42 mm Abyss for 205 going in his hot section (but probably some models sold out). Bought the steelfish and it´s a super-rep but this should be about  the same. I´m a Breitling user but no expert so far. Good luck with Your buy.

Actually, what are the flaws with this model (what's off from oem)?? Also, Is the swiss movement worth the extra $150?

http://pureti.me/product/superocean-abyss-automatic-44mm-red-11-noob-best-edition-on-ss-bracelet/

Edited by jayely1

Silix has a section for cheap watches and another for expensive/normal watches. With very rare exceptions for special models or as replacement piece providers the cheap ones will not make You happy. The cheap are very cheap, no luminosity, different from gen, cheap materials etc. and some nice quartz. Michele is a good TD so he just additionally offers cheap watches at cheap prices also, sometimes it is good for trying out a watch before You order the 400-500 USD model. For the normal quality You have to look in his expensive section.

• 2 weeks later...

Soo just thinking, if I got the asian movement, could I just swap it out for a nicer swiss movement?? Would it all "match up" internally? If so, what's the cost for a watch smith to do something like that?

jay as far as closing thread the guys are answering you, the knowledge you seek is all here. This being said we read, research and basically become active members to learn these things. Take your time read around you will learn these things also, then you can buy what you are comfortable with. This site is not a service for guys to buy their first Rep we do help each other but to a point gotta do your own homework.

Some say the asian is louder than the swiss. And i'm sure everyone says something different about it.. Dealers are more willing to fix the swiss movements and there is also more parts and they are easier to obtain..Isn't that worth getting a Swiss?? That's why I feel like I would be safe with the Swiss..

Edited by jayely1

As You are probably getting more than one watch in the long run try out the movements Asian 2813, Asian ETA 36, Swiss ETA and Asian 7750 for Chronos. Swiss ETA´s in Switzerland are assembled in a sterile environment out of vacuum packages which have gone through several quality controls before.  Asian Swiss ETA´s are those the swiss didn´t want or used ones taken out of damaged watches and are stored in a big box together with some dust and dirt. Than they are assembled in the backyard of a garage by workers with a cold under harsh conditions.

Asian ETA´s are assembled in the same conditions but they are brandnew and nowadays well machined.

Both movements may be serviced and will run super-smooth. The Asian 2813 is a basic movement but it´s a workhouse, sometimes indestructible I have several and sometimes prefer them, easy to wind also, the rotor swings a bit louder but they cost a lot less. Before You buy a chrono - the better ones all come with an Asian 7750 - do more reading how to use the chrono before You break it or don´t buy one.

The SO Abyss You initially posted is a superrep - if it´s available get it and that´s it. Order a cheap watch toolkit from Amazon with some small screwdrivers, pin removal and bracelet removal equipment and get a NATO strap and a divers rubberband (all are cheap) so You can use the watch when You get it. Done.

Gen on the left - Rep on the right

8482854840_d907a48e22_b.jpg

• Like 1

What's the cost of a GEN movement for the Superocean 44?? Any place to buy them? Would it match up if I bought a REP? I will just go wit the Asian and get it serviced..

I think why some of us want a higher end movement, is because it consequently makes us care more about the watch itself. It would make me appreciate it more if it was built better and cost more to be honest..

From my experience the hands from the Asian movement will not fit the Swiss version. Usually the exterior is the same on the Asian and Swiss but underneath the covers it's a lot different and is not interchangeable. I own multiple gen breitlings and they are highly finished outside and inside. With that said the Asian or Swiss versions of the watch you're looking at is a super rep and is very close to the real deal. Save yourself some cash and get the Asian movement.

Honestly that's all I buy now....no more Swiss for me unless it's gen.

The only big issue with these is the dial and I sold mine because of it.  I read about the issue before purchasing but could never see what was being explained until I got the watch.  In sunlight scenarios, you can see where the dial slopes up to the markers.  An embossed look.  Not a bid deal for some but for me it was a deal breaker or cause to sell in my case :).  Just my 2 cents. 

Go with asian - 9 times out of 10 you'll get an asian movement anyways even if you pay for swiss; even if you do get a real swiss movement chances are it will be old, dirty and in a dire need of service.  That's the dirty little secret of rep industry - most people don't open the case back and check the movement, very few do and even fewer complain to the dealer when they find out they were duped.  The dealer would blame the factory, give a partial refund to that one buyer out of many hundreds who did not bother to look at the movement, and keep the money he made on all the suckers who paid an extra $150 for what they thought was a swiss movement.

Edited by borz