When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (preview)

markiemark

Ordinarily, I would be ecstatic to finally see this coming out. However, it's very hard to justify that price for a rep with ropey side engravings, and a case that looks not too different from those used in the old quartz FF chronograph reps.

$500! How much did the PloProf reps cost when they were released?

I agree the case is very similar to the old chrono models. I know this may be sacrilege to some, but I prefer my 41mm vintage to the larger 45mm of this one. I'd prefer a 40-42mm model.

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk

This does look rather strange to me.

I've only ever seen originals that have received a lot of love and a lot of wear, just looks odd to see one that is new and unworn!

I dont think $500 is a lot for a super rep, the bezel insert isn't a type (material, shape) that's commonly produced, and the sapphire crystal is damn lovely and again very uncommon. Special parts = higher price.

The crystal on the Black Bay rep is what let's it down for me. When they said the rep crystal was just like gen that was really the main thing that led me to put my order in for one. The rep BB crystal as is, is still very nice and I've no doubt that after owning if for a couple of months I won't be bothered by the difference.

I do wonder why they didn't produce two versions, a BB like crystal for $300, and this one for $500.

And I don't believe it will be priced at $800, the rep factories aren't that stupid to go to all this trouble and sell just 100 of them cause no one will pay that for them!

I see what's happening here......

"Hey did you hear? The new Blacpain FF is gonna be about $500"

All the various fora, reply "$500...Jeez, that' a lot of greenbacks, not sure i'll be paying that"

A week or so later and the word on the street (surprise surprise) is that the new FF is actually gonna be $800

"Spread the word....The new FF is gonna be $800"

Sooooooo....everyone then thinks.."Well actually $500  big ones ain't so bad"

...and that my friends is how it goes........lol

• Like 2

I see what's happening here......

"Hey did you hear? The new Blacpain FF is gonna be about $500"

All the various fora, reply "$500...Jeez, that' a lot of greenbacks, not sure i'll be paying that"

A week or so later and the word on the street (surprise surprise) is that the new FF is actually gonna be $800

"Spread the word....The new FF is gonna be $800"

Sooooooo....everyone then thinks.."Well actually $500  big ones ain't so bad"

...and that my friends is how it goes........lol

hhahahahaha

Touché!

We don´t know the exact selling price yet but as I´ve heard the words around the noob factory partners it won´t be cheaper than $800. The price wouldn´t be an issue BUT that involves lots of consequences:

Well, I expect perfection for that price. Unfortunately a movement fail, a misaligned bezel, a scratch on the dial, poorly applied lume it will be a huge disappointment. And no matter how good it is, it will still be a rep. Still the higher target for internet scammers to buy for the typical monthly creditcard chargeback, stolen package, you name it. We both loose buyer and dealer at the end of the game.

Edited by torobravo

Hello again!

Could an expert chime in?

Would it be possible to mod this seiko?

New bezel etc with lume etc?

What do you think of it?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/111261717033?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1

P, I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure that the SNZH55 is one of the eligible base watches for a Fifty-five Fathoms mod.  The bezel on that watch is lovely. 

Toro:

"Well, I expect perfection for that price. Unfortunately a movement fail, a misaligned bezel, a scratch on the dial, poorly applied lume it will be a huge disappointment. And no matter how good it is, it will still be a rep. Still the higher target for internet scammers to buy for the typical monthly creditcard chargeback, stolen package, you name it. We both loose buyer and dealer at the end of the game."

Bad price point from both dealer and buyer perspective as well as expectations of quality, absolutely right. :notworthy:

Around $800? Say it isn't so, Toro.

Although there is a precedent - does anyone remember a vintage Daytona that was going for $1000? For some reason I recall member ExtraExtra having one.

Anyway, what do people think of the current FF chrono available from our dealers?

P, I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure that the SNZH55 is one of the eligible base watches for a Fifty-five Fathoms mod.  The bezel on that watch is lovely. 

It is the base, you are correct

Thank you gentlemen!

But isn't it a problem with the day-date?

Edited by whoever

@whoever,

Might want to pay a visit over to the Seiko Citizen forum, it seems like these FFF  watches started out there when someone started modding Seikos with the FFF dials. Just checked over there, got info you might be interested in reading.

@whoever,

Might want to pay a visit over to the Seiko Citizen forum, it seems like these FFF  watches started out there when someone started modding Seikos with the FFF dials. Just checked over there, got info you might be interested in reading.

you have an link mate? Good idea! Thanks

Happily disappointed, I wanted this FFF but neither for 500 nor for 800 so I´ll save the 300 I would´ve spent altogether - or than I go the Seiko Fifty Fathoms way on e-bay suggested by Mike (thanks for the hint) and have to wait almost no time:)

Haven´t got the AP Roo either because when it gets to the 500´s price range plus shipping I expect what Toro mentioned: "Well, I expect perfection for that price. Unfortunately a movement fail, a misaligned bezel, a scratch on the dial, poorly applied lume it will be a huge disappointment. And no matter how good it is, it will still be a rep" and glad to see a TD mention this - thumbs up . I did never complain on a 128´rep and expectations are lower.

BTW on Amazon You send it back if You don´t like it and in a weeks time have Your 128´or 500´ refund and that´s it. Gladly never had to send anything back because everything comes and works as pictured/described anyway.

All misaligned bezel/stickers/pearl ones or otherwise flawed should/could be sold at a seriously cheaper price like "2nd choice ware" or something like that anyways, there would be buyers too - but happy buyers for knowing they get it with a flaw but at better price.

Like it is now I think the factories (and TD´s) loose much more money from people just turning their backs to reps altogether and forever after getting the 3rd flawed one and loosing their patience. Just my thoughts on that.

800!!??! :bangin:

• Like 1