When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Advice needed: Does anyone have experience with Phong’s complete builds?

AndyFors

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have any experience with the complete build offered by Phong? In particular interested in the YG Daytona 6241 or the Patek’s? All information will be greatly appreciated, the below in particular.

• Accuracy and build quality?
  • Value for money?
  • Reliability of the dealer?
  • Payment and shipping? (I assume a wire transfer would be OK, however the shipping and custom might be an issue)

Also, can someone confirm that jewelryandwatch.com is the right address?

Best regards…

Your main alternative is to source all the parts yourself and then send to someone to build the watch for you (assuming you don't want to do the build yourself).

You definitely pay a premium in many cases for Phong's fully done offerings, but then again you don't have to do the work. Personally, I love the hunt for parts and the fact that in doing so I don't have to drop a huge chunk of change all at once.

I do get the appeal of a ready-made product though.

I wish that was the case..  :g:  Believe you’re lucky to find a 6239 in gold for 50k [unconfirmed]

Saying that, the price is the BIG issue as its in a range in which you can get a good GEN e.g. Phong's 6239 would need to be bloody good to justify the price.

Also, with a gen one would have the option to resell it. I don’t see a lot of potential buyers for a "second" hand Phong build.

If you want it done right, either do it yourself or find someone who knows what they are doing and have them put a watch together for you. Other than these two options, you are usually better off to buy a watch already put together.

Imho it is not a good idea to buy a complete high priced watch with genuine movement from China etc because if you have to send it back the risk is simply too great...loss, damage, mia in customs etc with NO recourse. I learned this the hard way.

The 'Frankenstein' end of this twisted hobby is populated mostly by participants who can do most (or all) of the work themselves or know someone who can. Learning to work on watches is a slooow agonizing process and if you ever decide to learn the basics...r/r movements, change dials and hands, install case tubes, crowns, crystals etc, this can be learned in a year or two. Getting into cleaning movements will take a little longer and learning to machine parts adds to the time involved.

After working on watches for a while you will soon see that the main problem facing small time repair and hobby guys today = No Parts For You!   Sad but true.

For the reasons above, a low hassle/high quality watch might be an MBK 5513 or 1680 with a freshly serviced Eta 2846 in it to begin with. It will probably come with some sort of UFO movement stuffed in it so you will have to round up the 2846 and have it installed.

For a modern rolex...a TC 16610 is not a bad choice but be on the lookout for a Swiss Eta for when the etaclone goes toes up.

Rolex chronograph projects with Val 72 etc are bottomless pits unless you have plenty $$ to throw around.

Good luck!  :good:

Dear All,

Thank you for the advice..

Automatico, I echo your view about sending the watch back and forward to China, I’ve done that a few times in the past and it’s never a good solution (especially not in this price range). So I guess I have to try to constrain myself or find another option.

In respect to doing the build my self, I simply don’t have the time or the patience to take on a project like that. I’ve started a few in the past, however they are still in parts 3years down the line;)

Again, thank you all. Your views are greatly appreciated.

A real shame David Wong's gone missing....he would have been able to supply you with the gold Daytona for about $500, I really want one myself.

I've been looking for a "gold" DW daytona, but as you said his latest review are not favourable. More so, i would likely not buy from him out of principal after what his done to the other guys on the forum. However, if any members have one they would like to sell - pls let me know..

If you want it done right, either do it yourself or find someone who knows what they are doing and have them put a watch together for you. Other than these two options, you are usually better off to buy a watch already put together.

Imho it is not a good idea to buy a complete high priced watch with genuine movement from China etc because if you have to send it back the risk is simply too great...loss, damage, mia in customs etc with NO recourse. I learned this the hard way.

The 'Frankenstein' end of this twisted hobby is populated mostly by participants who can do most (or all) of the work themselves or know someone who can. Learning to work on watches is a slooow agonizing process and if you ever decide to learn the basics...r/r movements, change dials and hands, install case tubes, crowns, crystals etc, this can be learned in a year or two. Getting into cleaning movements will take a little longer and learning to machine parts adds to the time involved.

After working on watches for a while you will soon see that the main problem facing small time repair and hobby guys today = No Parts For You!   Sad but true.

For the reasons above, a low hassle/high quality watch might be an MBK 5513 or 1680 with a freshly serviced Eta 2846 in it to begin with. It will probably come with some sort of UFO movement stuffed in it so you will have to round up the 2846 and have it installed.

For a modern rolex...a TC 16610 is not a bad choice but be on the lookout for a Swiss Eta for when the etaclone goes toes up.

Rolex chronograph projects with Val 72 etc are bottomless pits unless you have plenty $$ to throw around.

Good luck!  :good:

Tried searching MBK 5513, nothing comes up.  Have seen some posted in the sales forum but always sold before I see them.  Where might I find these?  Appreciate any direction here.