When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Where to get rep sunglasses?

dannesyd

Now before anyone mentions UV protection and that typical blahblah, all of these have been tested for UV protection and are 100% UVA/UVB protected. UV protection does not cost anything to make (dollar store glasses are 100% and they sell for 1$). I have done a lot of research on this and if you do as well you will find these are safe (don't believe the one no-source news article you find).

Thank you, gt rider.  I collect a lot of genuine sunglasses, but this widespread belief that wearing rep shades will cause your eyeballs to burst into flames needs to be dumped into the same bin as the "fake watches turn your wrist green" myth.

I'm just wondering if there is any good site to buy rep sunglasses? Preferably a little higher quality :)

Have to start planning for the summer!

I would recommend you buy gen ones for sunglasses. 

Specifically, its because most, if not all rep sunglasses have the basic "vision darkening" effect, which is achieved simply from having tinted lenses.

Remember that scientifically, this causes the pupils to dilate when worn. 

Now for the risk. The sunglasses may or may not come with UV protection. (Any decent replica sunglasses maker would be able to rep the "UV protection" label easily as well yes?) Dilated pupils and non-UV protection is not good news. It MAY actually cause more harmful UV rays to enter the eyes, as aperture is opened wider behind the tinted lenses.

I am sure you would not want your eyes to become harmed in this way right?   ;)

I'm happy to buy a rep watch but I would not take a chance with my eyes. 

Seriously, your eyes are well worth a genuine pair of decent sunglasses Sir.

my feelings exactly.

I would recommend you buy gen ones for sunglasses. 

Specifically, its because most, if not all rep sunglasses have the basic "vision darkening" effect, which is achieved simply from having tinted lenses.

Remember that scientifically, this causes the pupils to dilate when worn. 

Now for the risk. The sunglasses may or may not come with UV protection. (Any decent replica sunglasses maker would be able to rep the "UV protection" label easily as well yes?) Dilated pupils and non-UV protection is not good news. It MAY actually cause more harmful UV rays to enter the eyes, as aperture is opened wider behind the tinted lenses.

I am sure you would not want your eyes to become harmed in this way right?   ;)

Agreed.. so many rep makers lie about the smallest things... wht trust for a few bucks less? Or can we mod with gen lenes ;) And stripping screws?

I buy old Revos, Julbos and Vuarnets, with the true glass lenses, on fleabay for $25 to $75 a pair. It's worth it to me.

ah the good old 80's glasses. I have more vintage sunglasses than watches-at least today. Lately buying more watches than glasses. Love the old school Revos and Vuanets and Ray Bans. Although some were pretty expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a pair of rep tag mclaren frames, and cheap £35 lenses in them.

This was after paying £800 for the gen frames and gen lenses, and the opticians getting the lenses wrong, me having to buy a couple of those eye power test lenses and working out the right prescription for myself, and the optician then refusing to redo the lenses (again), the gen pair weren't usable for every day life.

So as I loved the frames and still wanted the gens for close work, I found rep frames.

• 3 months later...

Gen ray bans are cheap. Been out all day in my 3026 aviators and they are fab. The sun has been cracking the pavement today. £75 delivered off Amazon, don't take risks with your eyes I agree with the above sentiment