When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Seiko 5 sport

whoever

:)

so happy about this little gen gem! 

Received it today, and happier then expected! Put it on a shark strap!

Great weight, great quality, and killer look!

The bezel is just amazing, i can't stop looking at it! I wanted to mod it to a 50 fathoms homage, but i think i just drop the idea and keep it like that! 

It's a 23jewels automatic movement. Haven't tried the lime yet. 

Sorry about the bad light! 

Opinions welcome

post-29734-0-87859000-1391199702_thumb.j

post-29734-0-82428000-1391199705_thumb.j

post-29734-0-49068000-1391199712_thumb.j

post-29734-0-53178800-1391199715_thumb.j

post-29734-0-47242200-1391199717_thumb.j

post-29734-0-51319200-1391199719_thumb.j

post-29734-0-50797200-1391199721_thumb.j

• Like 1

I have always loved the seiko 5 series. Something about that little gold 5 emblem, almost as classy as a rolex crown.

I have a 5 series day date dress watch. I bought it around 10 years ago in south America. I'll try and take some pictures soon.

Got one of these with the little gold highlights in the dial.

Lovely little watch it is, super build quality that puts some watches 20+ times its price to shame.

I got it as a beater, but it's too nice to be doomed to a life in the workshop or on customer sites so sits in the winder with the others :)

Nice watch, indeed. :)  There is a lot of nice looking Seiko 5  available, some of them are very good IMHO by look ;) :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LATEST-SEIKO-5-SPORTS-AUTOMATIC-RUBBER-STRAP-DIVERS-WATCH-SNZB23J2-/121218021981?pt=UK_Jewelery_Watches_Watches_MensWatches_GL&hash=item1c39283a5d

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEIKO-5-SPORTS-MENS-AUTO-OFFICIAL-BARCELONA-FC-SRP303K1-/331120021012?pt=UK_Jewelery_Watches_Watches_MensWatches_GL&hash=item4d184a8e14

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-SEIKO-5-SPORTS-BLACK-COMPASS-AUTO-St-STEEL-SNZJ07J1-/200848910074?pt=UK_Jewelery_Watches_Watches_MensWatches_GL&hash=item2ec38726fa

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seiko-5-Automatic-Sports-Mens-Watch-Gunmetal-Ion-Plated-SRP345J1-UK-Seller-/290920138294?pt=UK_Jewelery_Watches_Watches_MensWatches_GL&hash=item43bc310636

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seiko-5-Automatic-Sports-Mens-Watch-Nylon-Strap-4R36-SRP273J1-UK-Seller-/301017903987?pt=UK_Jewelery_Watches_Watches_MensWatches_GL&hash=item461610b373

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-SEIKO-5-SPORT-MILITARY-SAND-BEIGE-DAY-DATE-AUTO-SNZG07K1-/360661513730?pt=UK_Jewelery_Watches_Watches_MensWatches_GL&hash=item53f919f602

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEIKO-5-SPORTS-MENS-AUTOMATIC-SNOW-MONSTER-DIVERS-SNZF45K1-/331099472692?pt=UK_Jewelery_Watches_Watches_MensWatches_GL&hash=item4d17110334

...but I will  never buy them :g: ... problem is like with Rolex´ watches, they are too popular , like " half  of earth population" have them :cc_hang: ... I love to have something different  not so common, not so popular.  And IMHO if cheap automatic or quartz, then I will prefer quartz.

Edited by sul

hm...;why "cheap" automatic? 

isn't half of the rep world full of simple 21jewels movements? I think the Seiko automatic have great reputation for being bombproof. 

Is it just me probably :)  Seikos movement are not bad. Cheap is not bad  if we are talking functionality but long long lifespan- I dont belive it. You can not make realiable and long lifespan movement cheaply.  And   .... just as people like to tell regarding mechanical movement- "I like to see nice moving  rotor inside", "it has a soul" etc etc..etc. It is nice when you have well decorated high end watch movement... yes it has( maybe) " a soul" but for me these  cheaper non decorated movement does not give that feeling, they look cheap and  they are cheap... In the future... will you spend money for servising that movement?

If cheaper watch, I prefer change battery`s over 4-5 years and thats it, better  even if they have solar power technology inside and I have to change mybe  something inside  after 20 years or so.

:);)

Despite of everything what did write you have a very nice looking wach ! Wear it well B):)

Edited by sul

Great looking watch mate! Nice macro pictures :)

I didn't wear my S5 that much lately (too many watches problem :p) so I can't be sure on the bilingual DW. I thought that it's changing at midnight and the day stay's in English and doesn't switch to another language..  

My vintage Seiko 5 says hi:

jmgc.jpg

Sul - if you break it down the cheaper movements last much longer then the pricey movements. Put in perspective of $/years of use bet you'd see that a $30 Miyota would way out perform a Rolex. Heck, try out the $30 6497/8 clones, they'll probably be used by the cockroaches to tell time when everyone else is dead and gone. I figure that a unserviced Miyota would last 20-30 years, that's about $1/yr but I bet you'd be lucky to get 10-15 out of an unserviced 3135 before it croaked on you.

From what I have seen...cheapo movements almost always give less trouble than 'High Grade' movements. Many of the HG swiss movements are so fragile that they are not much good for every day wear except maybe in a fancy office or a prissy tea party environment. I've had my share of this fancy junk in the past and shy away from it now for good reason.

It is hard to beat a common Seiko, Miyota or swiss Eta automatic movement.

Otoh...manual wind movements from just about any brand are usually a lot tougher than their automatics...the auto weight eventually hammers the aw assembly to death. Some of the toughest are the old manual wind Seiko movements that were used in a lot of Bulova and Caravelle watches in the 1960s/1970s. They have JAPAN or JAPAN MVT at the bottom of the dial and if you pick one up at a yard sale or flea market and give the crown a few turns, it will take off running.

The wag who said "A rolex can take anything your arm can take" must have lived in a giant feather pillow.  :pimp:

ok, thanks to all for explaining, maybe I will try cheaper mechanical movement in some day ;)

to whoever:

dual language date wheel- Italian and english, 100% normal. If you choose english, then all day is english after midnight approxmately half or one hour is italian language and after that again english. If you choose italian at first, then it is reversed. Lot of movements have this function-wider user group  for one movement. You have two languages on watch day wheel, you can choose what will be better for you;)

Edited by sul

I would say that half the worlds population don't wear a watch, ~3/4s of the rest wear something that cost $25 or less, ~1/2 of the remainder are in Seiko price region or a bit more (and there are a *lot* of watch brands in that region IMO), and the rest are an increating budget.

50/100 - no watch

35/100 - cheap rubbish

10/100 - Seiko level

4/100 - Upto $1000

0.995/100 - Over $1000

0.005/100 - Over $10,000

So refusing to buy Seikos as they're far too common is a fallacy IMO. Nothing wrong with just saying "I don't like them" or "I prefer XYZ because ...", but they're really not that common compared to the worlds population.

(of course one could just look up last years sales figures but guessing is more interesting :) )

I'll have to do a covert survey at work to see who wears what :)