When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is there a reason a lot of FC Divers are up for sale.

Everyday it seems like there is one or two nicely modded or V3+ FC Divers for sale here or on RG. Is there a reason for this? Im getting pretty to close to pulling the trigger on one, but am wondering why so many people are getting rid of theirs. Ive heard they are one of the most comfortable watches to wear.

To be frank with you, they are probably the best AP rep I've owned in every aspect. The reason I'm selling mine is that I'm alittle OCD and can't stand any flaws I see when I do realize them. As with all reps, there are always flaws. For me I always sell my reps after a month or so and go gen after.. I know its kinda retarded, but hey its a good trial watch. TBH the V3 is truly a great watch. If you get one pre-owned, you can sell it for a similar price if you're unhappy with it and don't lose out too much :)

How much should your car be when wearing a $20k watch ?

I have the same question? What is your car to watch price ratio?

I have also noticed that there seem to be a lot of FC divers on the sales forums lately. not really sure why, however I do believe that it has a lot to do with the amount of hype the watches got at first, and when that happens, folks tend to get caught up in the "feeding frenzy". I k now I saw it and WOW!! I thought that's a nice watch, I got to have one. By nature the folks who frequent watch forums regularly, are flippers. Folks buy watches that they think they will like, and when they arrive, often times, even though we want to love them, we can't. When we realize that they don't resonate, and they aren't going to "grow on us" we put them up for sale and move on to the next one.

Everyone who buys a watch and then resells it has their own  reasons for selling, so it's probably not easy to boil it down to a reason, or a couple of reasons. But I do have a theory or two. One, this is a pretty big watch. Although it's light, especially compared to the S/S diver like the 4.1 or V5, it's still pretty substantial. if you have a 6 -6 1/2 ' wrist, I don't think you are going to be really happy with this watch. Another thing, when new, the rubber strap is really, really stiff. It takes some getting used to especially if you are used to metal bracelets or leather straps. I wore mine for a month before It really started breaking in. It seems to have softened up a little and it's much more comfortable. As I said, it's a big watch and since it's winter, folks are wearing it under long sleeve shirts sweaters, etc., which add to the discomfort level especially if it's under a sweater with tight cuffs. I said in another post, that I thought it would be a better summer watch. It's never going to be one of those watches that seem to "disappear' on your wrist, like some of the 39mm Rolex models with comfortable well broken in Oyster bracelets.

Lastly, We start reading all the threads and posts with comparisons of the various models and sometimes we start to have doubts. "Is this really the best model" ,"Is this watch accurate enough to wear out in public where I might encounter another WIS"? I know that in the past, after reading a bunch of conflicting posts about which model is better, which is the most accurate, which has the best dial, etc. I am more confused than before I started reading. I suppose what we all want is to have someone give us a definitive answer that this IS the best rep of this particular watch available. unfortunately, their is rarely a consensus when it comes to watches. If you read the threads, you will find as many folks that say the H Factory is the best as those who say the V3 is the best, so with all that info, one has to sort through it and try to make the best decision for his own situation.  

I am sure that their are lots and lots of other reasons, such as the member who posted above that the dark hour hand is a deal breaker. I agree it would be better if it had a contrasting color, possibly yellow outlining the edges, sort of like the minute hand. I wish it had better lume, and a better AR on the Cyclops, but both of those are problems that are addressable if the watch is a keeper. I believe that mine is a keeper, I like the watch a lot. Now having said that  I have had watches in the past that were dear to my heart for a while, and then over time slipped further and further to the back of the watch box, so I never say never anymore.

The AP Diver V5 in SS weighs in at 179 gr. It´s a solid, good watch and I will keep it for sure. Will also wait for the SS bracelet for it to be available again and get one. Goes for 1/3 less on the gen market than the flashier FC Diver. Maybe the FC is too light for some and the yellow over time gets too flashy. Definitely I like mine in SS and You will be happy to get an AP Diver because it is just so good - only have to decide if on this watch the carbon look is the right one and if the yellow isn´t too screaming much in several occasions.

Just look at this:)

APL1050777.jpg

• Like 1

I dont believe theres a car to watch ratio. Like watches, cars are hobbies. I have friends who have a dozen of richard milles, and yes they are gen, and still drives a toyota for his daily car. Although he does have a merc. Its just preference how people spend their money. The way id see it is that a watch doesnt depreciate as much as a lux car. Unless you're the kind of person that attempts to fool everyone that the rep is a gen, i dont think there is relevance in a watch to car ratio. But having reps as well as gens do create a good variety in our collection :)

• Like 1

I for one completely disagree with the whole "if you don't own a fancy, expensive car, then you can't own a luxury watch' shenanigans that is apparently a belief with a lot of us here, and on other Gen watch forums.    What anyone decides to spend their money on should not have to anything to do with following the socially acceptable ladder of luxury items if they do not want to do so.  I know that a lot of people wish to show off their wealth and brag to others about how well they are doing by buying the largest, flashiest houses and vehicles, but not all of us feel that way.  I for one do not feel the need to drive the large, V8 engine luxury sedan or V10 SUV when I have the option for a nice, economic and reliable Toyota, or Honda, etc.  I don't need the 5 bedroom house when I only have one kid and maybe another on the way in a few years, as it does not make sense to throw extra time and money away on cleaning and furnishings when no one is going to really use those extra rooms.  How often does one really have house guests?  One spare bedroom is more than enough. 

Up until the last few years, my cousin who makes a 7 figure salary (and has been for a while now) had lived this way.  In fact, it wasn't until his wife's trusty Volvo decided to die that she decided she wanted one of the M-Benz SUVs for herself.  No one would have guessed looking at what he drove that he had an entire room dedicated to vintage guitars, worth upwards of 3 million dollars, and he wouldn't have had it any other way.  I think he was onto something there, because it is my belief that it is really no one's business how much we are worth, as long as we continue to contribute to society.

I guess what I am trying to say is,  for watch lovers such as ourselves, does it really make sense to blow that extra money on the big house, or the $80,000 Audi, Benz, etc when we could instead drive a comfortable car half that price and buy another one or 2 gen AP's?  I for one think not.

• Like 2

I for one completely disagree with the whole "if you don't own a fancy, expensive car, then you can't own a luxury watch' shenanigans that is apparently a belief with a lot of us here, and on other Gen watch forums.    What anyone decides to spend their money on should not have to anything to do with following the socially acceptable ladder of luxury items if they do not want to do so.  I know that a lot of people wish to show off their wealth and brag to others about how well they are doing by buying the largest, flashiest houses and vehicles, but not all of us feel that way.  I for one do not feel the need to drive the large, V8 engine luxury sedan or V10 SUV when I have the option for a nice, economic and reliable Toyota, or Honda, etc.  I don't need the 5 bedroom house when I only have one kid and maybe another on the way in a few years, as it does not make sense to throw extra time and money away on cleaning and furnishings when no one is going to really use those extra rooms.  How often does one really have house guests?  One spare bedroom is more than enough. 

Up until the last few years, my cousin who makes a 7 figure salary (and has been for a while now) had lived this way.  In fact, it wasn't until his wife's trusty Volvo decided to die that she decided she wanted one of the M-Benz SUVs for herself.  No one would have guessed looking at what he drove that he had an entire room dedicated to vintage guitars, worth upwards of 3 million dollars, and he wouldn't have had it any other way.  I think he was onto something there, because it is my belief that it is really no one's business how much we are worth, as long as we continue to contribute to society.

I guess what I am trying to say is,  for watch lovers such as ourselves, does it really make sense to blow that extra money on the big house, or the $80,000 Audi, Benz, etc when we could instead drive a comfortable car half that price and buy another one or 2 gen AP's?  I for one think not.

+1 on this.

What a man chooses to drive, where he chooses to live, and yes, what he chooses to wear on his wrists, would be a matter of decisions that are often not interlinked. 

Every man chooses to spend his money in different ways. I do know of the below guys in real life:

a. Someone who owns a genuine Hublot Big Bang ceramic, but drives a toyota Camry

b. Someone who drives a 2013 Porsche Carrera S, but wears a Seiko

c. Someone who lives in an upmarket mansion, but wears no watch at all.

d. An unemployed bankrupt who still owns and discreetly wears his genuine Rolex explorer 2. 

Yes, from a generic social perspective, a man stepping out of a Lamborghini with a a $30k watch strapped to his wrist makes the watch more believable than the gardener with a Patek Philippe. The world is generally a superficial place when it comes to perspectives. But often, the purchase decisions of an individual are mostly affected by individual choice and purchase power, lifestyles, and his intrinsic values about life, and may not conform to social perspectives at all.

• Like 1

I agree with Legend on this. I for one do not believe in spending big $$ on a car. I drive from A (house) to B (Office) 5 days a week. On the weekend, my car is used to ferry my kids from various A and various B. To me a car should be functional and reliable and therefore does not have to be expensive. I am not into expensive aesthetically pleasing cars. A car is just a car!

I drive a honda CRV and have for 7 years and I think it is the best reliable car I have ever driven.

Now when it comes to watchs, this is where I enjoy myself. The aesthetics come into play and  I am happy to spend all my money on reps and gens. Letting me enjoy looking at it strapped around my wrist. Now that is more appealing to me.

So in a nutshell I dont believe in the expensive car expensive watch ratio. I don't think they are linked at all. :) 

• Like 1

I agree with Legend on this. I for one do not believe in spending big $$ on a car. I drive from A (house) to B (Office) 5 days a week. On the weekend, my car is used to ferry my kids from various A and various B. To me a car should be functional and reliable and therefore does not have to be expensive. I am not into expensive aesthetically pleasing cars. A car is just a car!

I drive a honda CRV and have for 7 years and I think it is the best reliable car I have ever driven.

Now when it comes to watchs, this is where I enjoy myself. The aesthetics come into play and  I am happy to spend all my money on reps and gens. Letting me enjoy looking at it strapped around my wrist. Now that is more appealing to me.

So in a nutshell I dont believe in the expensive car expensive watch ratio. I don't think they are linked at all. :)

yes mate

What a man drives, wears, lives in, is often not a reliable indication of what he can really afford. ;)

Remember too most on the street wouldn't have a clue what an AP diver even is :) not saying I'm a millionaire or not but I have multi multi millionaire friends and clients that 1 have no idea what AP is and 2. Wear rep rolexs , go figure , I for one drive a new Toyota Hilux and I have about 8 Gen watches and now 4 reps ........ Bye the FC diver is one of the best IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The dark hour hand is a deal breaker for me. Second, if I drive a car that costs $55k but am wearing a watch that's $20k, there is something wrong with that picture.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2

Nothing wrong with it at all.. 

Some people own 20k cars but live in a huge mansion. 

It's all on you. 

Nicely put my friend. 

It all comes down to individual preference. 

It's a great rep but simply put I found I got tired of it. The yellow hand made the whole thing feel cheap to me. But it is a great rep and I am keeping it in the hope that some day it will appeal to me again. Something about a $20k watch with a cheesy yellow hand. I far perfer the traditional SS divers and Offshores but that is me. As someone else said the nice thing is that if you buy intelligently second hand I suspect you can largely recoup your funds if you do get tired of it.