When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1996 Rep Sub

zippin23

I purchased this in 1996. It's a mangled wreck, but after reading posts on this site, I may be able to get it up and running. I like the cloth bands, so the cheap band wouldn't be an issue. What would you do with this thing? Should I donate it to a watch repairer?post-61705-0-59508800-1392521032_thumb.jpost-61705-0-14278100-1392521083_thumb.j

• Like 1

Not very true to genuine in a lot of respects, but I would bet that in 1996 they were putting ETA 2824-2 or 2836 movements in these watches, so it has a good movement, and the parts are readily available, so getting it running would not be a problem. If it's been trough a lot with you, I would keep it just for sentimental reasons. I would guess that one of the watch repair folks on the forum could do a complete strip, clean oil and regulate for around 100 bucks or a little more depending on how many parts it needed. 

I defer to you sir, this was probably a 50 buck Canal street "best" back in 1996. Best thing then would be to drop another clone movement in this one and use the big hammer to repair the old one!!

Actually to be realistic, this one is so bad,  I wouldn't spend any money on it, use the money that it would take to buy a movement and install it toward another better watch. Throw this one in the sock drawer as a memory.

I found a box in my parts drawer over the weekend marked ETA 2836. I opened it to discover a circa 2001 sub most likely from Paul. Had a chuckle.

Then I noticed the perfectly centered date overlay. Then I noticed the excellent font and raised glossy print on every number! Then I opened it up and saw that it wasn't an overlay at all but an actual date disk. The holy grail!!

Then I remembered the date window was in the wrong place back then :)

• Like 1