When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New case in town...

automatico

Good find!  I'd like to hear from the experts, but to me it looks like it has the same issues as their 6538: the mid case itself is too thick, with an oversized case back that makes the problem worse, and the rehaut is too deep.  Here's hoping it's just bad pics.

You're right about it being too thick. As for the crown guards, you might be able to make 'pointed crown guards' out of them.

The whole thing looks sorta out of whack to me.

I finally took the time to flatten out the case sides on a DW 1680 case where they are rounded like a DJ...it was not nearly as easy as I thought it would be. I filed on it for an hour with a small flat file then gave up and went with a grind stone on a Dremel tool, then finished it off with Cratex, 400, 600, 1200 wet or dry sandpaper and finally Simichrome paste.

It looks a lot better but it was quite a job.

The HR case looks like a fair possibility to me, yes the rehaut is too deep, cgs are on the short side, but it could still work.

I tried to cut and paste from photobucket and ebay, but nothing works!

At any rate, with a good dial, hands, crown and insert and a drilling of the lugholes, I would think you'd have a decent 5513.

And the price isn't unfair, less than what you'd pay for an MBK, but with the MBK you'd get the crown, dial, hands and movement- whether you'd use them is another question.

So if you had the other parts and just needed the case, it might work out ok.