When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which movement?

simstre

Rolex-Movement.jpg

Apparently this is one of those "no one knows" realms in this hobby. (at least from what I've read so far)

Asian2813? Asian ETA? Swiss ETA?

Some say that there's no more Swiss ETA in China, or when you order Swiss ETA it's not actually Swiss ETA.

Which comes down to "Get 2813, works great"

Some people also said 2813 is garbage and Swiss ETA is way to go,

even if it isn't what it is they use all the best parts for this model and more faulty parts for cheaper watches, so it's worth buying this model.

Some say that Asian ETA is a good choice given that it is smooth enough yet cheaper than Swiss ETA.

I'm more curious as to which one works the best / will last longest.

It'd be amazing if someone goes "look, here's the truth...", but I don't hope for that much, just want someone to convince me on 1 movement.

Share your thoughts, Thanks.

C

Rolex-Movement.jpg

Apparently this is one of those "no one knows" realms in this hobby. (at least from what I've read so far)

Asian2813? Asian ETA? Swiss ETA?

Some say that there's no more Swiss ETA in China, or when you order Swiss ETA it's not actually Swiss ETA.

Which comes down to "Get 2813, works great"

Some people also said 2813 is garbage and Swiss ETA is way to go,

even if it isn't what it is they use all the best parts for this model and more faulty parts for cheaper watches, so it's worth buying this model.

Some say that Asian ETA is a good choice given that it is smooth enough yet cheaper than Swiss ETA.

I'm more curious as to which one works the best / will last longest.

It'd be amazing if someone goes "look, here's the truth...", but I don't hope for that much, just want someone to convince me on 1 movement.

Share your thoughts, Thanks.

C

I have had a higher failure rate with the A2836/A2824 than the DG2813 movements. That said, I prefer to buy my own Swiss movements and have them installed myself by a trusty watchsmith.

Hi, so here it goes because just posted similar in another thread: going swiss in China really not worth the while, You don´t know what You get exactly ("reclaimed" swiss maybe) or if You get it at all (instead of "swiss" You get the same Asian as when buying Asian in the first place) ;

Asian ETA is fine, even better, because normally it´s brand new and it´s what You pay for.

Asian 2813: imho really a good choice because You get it for 168$ instead of 268$ which allows You to buy 2 of those. Case-sets identical although You have to take a better look at qc for the 2813 ones. There is the tiniest, tiniest difference in the seconds sweeping - it´s so hard to tell You - almost - don´t  notice. Difference to the Asian ETA is the swinging of the rotor but you get used to it so it doesn´t swing in a silent room when You don´t want it to. Timekeeping may be spot-on or up to 1 minute deviation per day. Workhorse movement, reliability is fine. No need to service, should it break You get a new one for +- 30 usd.

The overall quality feel with the Asian ETA is better, timekeeping not necessarily.

Edited by Nightwatch

Is that movement not the new Rolex clone movement that accepts genuine dial, days wheel, and genuine hands?  

My findings are that the normal Rolex clones are simply decorated 2836 movements, but the balance bridge of the one you posted is completely different to an 2836 balance bridge, plus other parts of that movement in the photo are completely different to the 2836 too.

Edited by SSTEEL

In my (worthless) opinion it is hard to beat a swiss Eta 28xx as long as it is fresh and not full of dirt and dried blood...I mean oil. 

Asian 28xx are Ok because when (not if) they go toes up you can replace them with a swiss Eta as the dial and hands will fit. While the Asian 28xx is running you should have time to hunt down a clean swiss Eta.

Asian Miyota clones...2813 etc are...

Well...

I just can't say it. 

The Sea Gull ST16 is the best of the Miyota clones imho. They are easy to spot because they have a 'magic lever' auto wind assembly similar to Seiko.

They dip the ST16 in $wiss chocolate and call them the 'swiss made' Claro Seamag 888.  :prop:

so from AKTime and Nightwatch, it's a good decision to go with 2813, away from ETAs.

How about 7750? Is it a good movement? Better than cheaper asian movements?

Appreciate in advance.

Cheers

C

If you ask me, the best route is to get a model with a DG2813. You are going to pay about 100.00 less than you would for the A28xx model and about 200.00 less than the "Swiss" models., With the money that you save there you can find a genuine ETA in decent shape from Ebay and have it installed. The Asian ETA clones can work fine but like anything that comes in a rep they will need a good cleaning and servicing 99% of the time.

Yes china has swiss. However most of the gen swiss are used in the high end japanese watches. Such as sandoz etc. A new sandoz with a genuine swiss, and they are swiss is $400-$500. If you think your are buying a swiss in a rep for $300, your mistaken it is an asian clone. While they are much improved over last year they are still not as good as a swiss. Ive been using swiss movements since the mid 80's. Some watches I built with swiss in the late 90's are still keeping good time. Ive only been offering asian clones of the swiss for about a year. So far,  the gold clone has worked well. I have repaired several with the silver clone. Don't know what the difference is, just know the facts. So, best movement   GEN SWISS hands down

• Like 3

Thanks for the great input.

I'd agree that the best movement would be Gen Swiss ETA,

but the only way to achieve that is to buy a watch that Swiss ETA will fit in, and buy a movement separately, then swap it in.

I was more curious as to from the available options from TDs, which would be the best option to go with.

I guess I'll also need to hunt down a good watchsmith locally, to install Swiss ETA if I want to.