When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Strange happenings adjusting time in reverse

B12b12

Hello all

Brand new sub with 2813 28800 movement

If I adjust the time forward all is good ; if I adjust time in reverse I can feel gears slipping and the hour hand will move independent to the minute hand effectively putting them out of sync

Anyone have any idea what could cause this ?

I never knew that about reverse ; so if setting the time and you go forward 15 mins too much - are you saying that you should always keep going clock wise ? This watch I have you can't even back up 15 minutes with out the hands slipping .... Surely that's not acceptable is it ?

Thx for replies guys

Winding and time setting are two different things. In winding the crown, it only winds in one direction and the clutch slips in the other.

And in most cases setting the time back won't hurt anything either. Especially if only going back a few minutes. The only exception I know is on a 7750 movement you should never even set the time between 10 PM and 2 AM, and especially not going backwards while the date setting mechanism is engaged between those hours. I have no idea about the DG2813 movement in particular although in this case it does sound broken.

Before sending it all the way back to China, you should have it looked at by someone local. It could be something simple.

I am assuming 28800bph '2813' = the DG 4813 and not an Eta...

Moving the hands backwards should be Ok but It is a good idea not to set the time backwards when the date is getting close to changing. On DG, NN etc this is usually between 8pm and 3am or so depending on where the hands are mounted in reference to date change.

On genuine ETA 28xx it is better to set time backwards before 8pm and after 2 am or so. Setting a genuine Eta 28xx ahead while the date is getting ready to change will not harm it because they are made to prevent damage but it's probably better to wait until 6am or so.

I just now set the time backwards on a DG 4813 showing 8am and it worked fine.

Since your watch hands were pushed out of correspondence when backing them up, something is wrong...hands touching etc. Many times when the hands are too close together they will touch when backing up and not touch when setting them ahead. Look at the hands with a magnifier when the hour and minute hands are even (one directly over the other) and see if they are very close together. Set the time ahead and see if they touch, then set it backwards and see if they touch. The DG 4813 comes with a tall canon pinion and hour wheel or with short cp and hw. If you have the short hw and cp version the hands may be too close together and need to be adjusted and put back into correspondence.

Hopefully this is all that is wrong...not hard to fix as long as you do not need any parts.

thank you for replies everyone ...  yes the movement is a 2813 28800 

the hand slip anywhere around the dial .. even if the minute hand is on the opposite side to the hour hand ... winding the crown back slowly just goes click - click - click with nothing moving then suddenly the hour hand might move a tiny bit then back to click-click-click :-(

watch ends up displaying 41/2 oclock !

Wonder if it can be anything to do with the winder ??

I wish you had mentioned the type of movement earlier. The alleged HI-beat 2813 is a known POS. It has nothing to do with a DG 4813. It's a new movement that has just started showing up in a few reps and has already developed a bad rep. Send it back if you're able and replace it with any other movement.

Edit: I guess you did mention it. I just read 2813 and missed the 28800. Sorry about that.

Edited by kbh

I've never personally owned or even seen one but I meander around most of the rep forums and I've already heard way too many complaints on that particular movement that I would stay far away if I was buying. Plus there are no parts available for fixing it and nobody seems to know even which factory makes it to look for replacements.