When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

44MM AP ROO SS REP vs GEN Comparison

My friend owns a gen SS, I asked him to bring it during lunch.

Sadly, I didn't get enough time to do a proper comparison but here's a few shots for your consideration.

I will post more pics in a few days when I meet him again.

Gen (date 23, AP GP Strap); Rep (date 24, Reb Rubber)

IMG_00001855_zpse930ea5f.jpg

IMG_00001856_zps157784b0.jpg

IMG_00001857_zps242db91d.jpg

IMG_00001858_zps9889c487.jpg

IMG_00001859_zps5d766c31.jpg

IMG_00001860_zps0e48dd80.jpg

Quick observation:

-The dial on the gen has creamy hue to it. The rep is too white/silver

-The subdial is darker (more black) than then rep

-The crystal is clearer on the gen. Without comparison side by side, I thought that the rep crystal is super clear already. But after seeing the gen, if you could do a single AR, it will make the dial pops more.

-The AP logo is thicker on the gen

-The tachy ring shape is more curvy on the gen, and the font isn't the same

-The caseback is totally different. The engravings are deeper on the gen. And it has black outline while the rep is shallow and no color.

That's all for now, folks.

I will add more pics later.

If you are on the fence of getting this, please don't hesitate.

This is an awesome watch. While it isn't exactly the same, on the wrist, even my friend who owns a gen can't tell the difference.

Hey W, 

Thanks for sharing! No matter which gen and its rep counterpart is scrutinized, there will always always be differences. :)

But often, we forget that a lot of these differences are always magnified when highlighted and discussed in a forum like this. When on the wrist, they are not easy tells a lot of the time!

There are of course obvious flaws in some replicas, that just scream "I'm rep! I'm rep!" with sirens blaring and orchestra music accompanying, but I would say that despite the differences, this is a very good rep and a good effort by the manufacturer. :)  

Great picts! Just wondering is the crown height and depth of the DW as an issue for this model like all 42mm roo offshore models.

To me, that screams "I'm rep! I'm rep!" with sirens blaring and orchestra music accompanying. 

But on the wrist its hard to tell without staring at it.

;)

Great picts! Just wondering is the crown height and depth of the DW as an issue for this model like all 42mm roo offshore models.

To me, that screams "I'm rep! I'm rep!" with sirens blaring and orchestra music accompanying. 

But on the wrist its hard to tell without staring at it.

;)

Very funny young J. :lol:

To me, the DW depth difference is there yes, but indiscernable on the wrist for the 44mm.

Actually mate, to me, the greatest difference between the gen and rep for this model, is the $20k price difference. ;)

It's funny. When out and about I am on the look for nice watches as I am sure most of us are. I spotted a guy a month ago with an AP Lebron. It caught me off guard I had never seen one but could tell it was an AP. It was in passing and obviously a gen.

Last week while wife was getting her hair done (in a modest salon) there was a male stylist across the place who had what looked to be a RB 2. I could barely tell if it even was one or not at first let alone a rep or gen.

It seems that we tend to get ourselves worked up about tiny details and let them ruin great reps because of it. I'm guilty of it. (No black date wheel!) when odds are no one would probably ever notice.

Yeah i know Mr A,  but how would i know what model or style it is ?

Mate, if you look at the picture, you would immediately know what style it is if you know your GP series.

It has red accents, which means it belongs to the one with the red dial. The gold and the platinum dial ones use the same straps I think, without the red accents.

The pictured strap can only be ONE type. He already said it was a GP strap, and with the red accents, it is very clear which model it is. 

You could actually use any of the GP straps, but honestly, mate, the red one would fit the best from an aesthetic point of view. :)

Yes Mr. A,

very correct. It's for the red dial one for sure. I am not sure if the other model use the one with red accent or the all black.grey one.

I sold a used one recently (AP GP Strap) because I think the rubber is good enough.

Turns out the re rubber is too big for me.

I am looking for a GP strap again now. I think the price in sg is way cheaper.

I am being quoted USD 550 for a new AP GP Strap with red accent here.

Care to add, Mr. A?

Thanks

Oh another story unrelated to this AP ROO 44mm.

I was on a queue for taxi in sg.

The guy standing in fornt of me was wearing AP ROO Tour (the blue one offered by ryan).

I have one exactly like that. And I know what to look for in term of flaws.

Long story short even at that distance I can be 100% sure if that's rep or gen.

Because the guy keep moving. If he were to hand me over the watch or stop moving for a while, I am sure I can tell.

So, moral of the story, on the wirst, it is very very hard to distihguish.

Yes Mr. A,

very correct. It's for the red dial one for sure. I am not sure if the other model use the one with red accent or the all black.grey one.

I sold a used one recently (AP GP Strap) because I think the rubber is good enough.

Turns out the re rubber is too big for me.

I am looking for a GP strap again now. I think the price in sg is way cheaper.

I am being quoted USD 550 for a new AP GP Strap with red accent here.

Care to add, Mr. A?

Thanks

I think SG sells it cheaper here mate.. from S$500 to S$550. I have seen one going for as low as S$450 brand new. :)

Oh another story unrelated to this AP ROO 44mm.

I was on a queue for taxi in sg.

The guy standing in fornt of me was wearing AP ROO Tour (the blue one offered by ryan).

I have one exactly like that. And I know what to look for in term of flaws.

Long story short even at that distance I can be 100% sure if that's rep or gen.

Because the guy keep moving. If he were to hand me over the watch or stop moving for a while, I am sure I can tell.

So, moral of the story, on the wirst, it is very very hard to distihguish.

Yes I agree. On the forums, we can look at pictures of watches and expertly tell if they are reps or gens.

In real life on the wrists, the watch details are often either diminished in clarity and size, or like you mentioned, obscured in motion.

In short, the tells are much more apparent in pictures than in real life, unless you're very carefully scrutinizing the watch in question. Its difficult to do that when said watch is on a wrist of a guy who may start to think you are either crazy or extremely rude. ;)

Mr A , stop being cheeky with me, i really didnt know what band it was , but yes i now see its a GP band which reminded me of some pics i was send recently.

Daz

Mate, I do apologize if you thought I was giving you a hard time.

But from the picture OP posted, you would be able to see that it is an AP ROO GP strap even if he did not mention it. Its a rather unique looking strap and yes a very lovely one to match the panda. I guess we all learn something new everyday and I thought that you would spot and identify it immediately, being the AP afficionado you are. 

So I guess you are going to purchase this one next to go with your panda? ;)