When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What do you think about this GMT Master 1675 ?

ArkoN

Seems like you guys in Europe always pay more for Rolex watches, maybe watches in general.

Here in the states, I'd figure you could pick up that model of 1675 for $4,000-5,000 usd.

Watch looks good to me and I'd figure the hands are tritium like the dial- they appear to match to me.

Ask about service replacement parts

Why?

Looks pretty good, altough the hands are possibly lumi. Tough to tell from the pics.

I asked the seller he told me original tritium. Then its nice. Will ask again tomorrow and look for myself.

Seems like you guys in Europe always pay more for Rolex watches, maybe watches in general.

Here in the states, I'd figure you could pick up that model of 1675 for $4,000-5,000 usd.

Watch looks good to me and I'd figure the hands are tritium like the dial- they appear to match to me.

Was thinking the same thing. 4500-5k max for that.

Alligoat and Lions, where do you guys suggest looking for good vintage pieces?  I like to look on watchrecon and elitedealseeker since these aggregate the sales listings from all the gen boards, but are there any specific places or dealers that you would recommend?  Does DavidSW or any of the trusted sellers over on TRF deal with vintages?  I still owe myself a birth year watch for my 40th and I'm in absolutely no rush at all.  Buy the dealer, then the watch, as we always say in our world... 

This is not intended to discourage this particular sale, it's just a heads up...

One thing I always worry about when buying a high priced vintage rolex watch is case corrosion because this is one of the main problems with old stainless steel watches. With no pictures of the opened case there is no way to tell if the case or case back is corroded. I have also noticed that most pictures of opened cases still have the case back gasket in place and you can not tell if it was left on to cover corrosion or not. If the case has corrosion, it is a good bet that there might be corrosion under the gasket left on the case back.

Sometimes there is major corrosion under the bezel (rotating and/or fixed) but it is almost impossible to detect without removing the bezel.

Something else is a warranty of some sort when paying a lot of $$ for an old watch. Since parts and service prices for vintage rolex are absurd it is a good idea to try to get a warranty for a year or even 90 days if possible.

Long distance deals are another problem because the farther away the seller is, the more 'insulation' there is between the seller and the buyer when something goes wrong.

One example...

I bought a 6694 from a 'famous' internet dealer in Singapore about 10 or 12 years ago and it looked super fine in the pictures. When it arrived it was rotten with corrosion but had been detailed to look like new. The dealer was no help at all claiming he took the best pictures he could etc, etc.

Lesson learned...buy closer to home.

"This fine watch was recently serviced."

...in 1993.  :pimp:

Alligoat and Lions, where do you guys suggest looking for good vintage pieces?  I like to look on watchrecon and elitedealseeker since these aggregate the sales listings from all the gen boards, but are there any specific places or dealers that you would recommend?  Does DavidSW or any of the trusted sellers over on TRF deal with vintages?  I still owe myself a birth year watch for my 40th and I'm in absolutely no rush at all.  Buy the dealer, then the watch, as we always say in our world... 

VRM

Jacek Kozubek (on VRM and hqmilton.com) is good for vintage Rolex- he's in San Francisco.

Andrew Shear- Sheartime.com is also good

I bought my R serial 16610 from Bernard Watch- bernardwatch.com

I consider ebay the wholesale place to buy vintage watches, but you have to buy the seller first.

Jared, watchcrusher on ebay and motorhead350 or something like that on VRM is a used Rolex dealer in Cherry Hill, NJ.

"It's almost safer to buy modern gens and build franken vintages..."

True, especially with submariners that originally sold for $500 now going for $5000+.

Otoh Frankenstein 1655/1675 with genuine movements are expensive to build compared to submariners because of the prices of GMT movements and GMT parts.