When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Wow look at this

Tonyyammine

This will now justify high prices for our own gen parts and prompt 'count yourself lucky it was only 4 digits' marketing in the sales subforums :p

But yeah, that is an insane price but somebody knows more and REALLY wanted to have some vintage Pepsi.

I guess if you have money to burn, you would spend 32K on that antique bezel. 

It's one thing to spend thousands on high-quality reps, because you will enjoy them, and let's face it, friends and strangers will be impressed, even if they don't say anything.

But the only person that is going to appreciate that historical bezel is a real watch enthusiast/historian, so again, if you have run out of things to buy, more power to you.

Btw, if you are that kind of person, I have a gen, (NOT rep) Incan matrimonial headmask I will sell you for 500K.  Will give you a 5% discount for being on the forum. . .

What this proves to me is the insane amount of money floating around. When you have hedge fund managers making 100 million  in salary plus bonuses, what's a 32K bezel. Somebody owns a very nice 6542 with a worn out or broken insert, he told his watch guru, "find one". When folks with unlimited resources tell their agent "find one" that means I don't care what it costs, or where it is, if it's in good condition, buy it. Problem with this philosophy is once it's yours, you better plan to keep it. Down the road, if the owner decides that collecting vintage Rolex watches is no longer the "in" thing to do, and he decides to disperse his collection, the prospective buyers will not be impressed that the bezel/insert cost 32K. they will be willing to pay what the watch intact is worth, which probably would be no more that 2X what the bezel cost.That in a nutshell is what happens when you pay too much for something and then later try to sell it. 

What this proves to me is the insane amount of money floating around. When you have hedge fund managers making 100 million  in salary plus bonuses, what's a 32K bezel. Somebody owns a very nice 6542 with a worn out or broken insert, he told his watch guru, "find one". When folks with unlimited resources tell their agent "find one" that means I don't care what it costs, or where it is, if it's in good condition, buy it. Problem with this philosophy is once it's yours, you better plan to keep it. Down the road, if the owner decides that collecting vintage Rolex watches is no longer the "in" thing to do, and he decides to disperse his collection, the prospective buyers will not be impressed that the bezel/insert cost 32K. they will be willing to pay what the watch intact is worth, which probably would be no more that 2X what the bezel cost.That in a nutshell is what happens when you pay too much for something and then later try to sell it. 

+1

Yah, those hedge fund guys are crazy ballers.  Kind of reminds me of Pierce Brosnan in "Thomas Crown Affair", purposely tipping over his catamaran just to see what would happen.  He was an M&A guy, but still made ridiculous money too.

I bet the gentleman enjoys that pepsi bezel for a couple days, then shoves the watch in a drawer and moves on to the next one. . .

Important Modern and Vintage Timepieces

09-04-2014 Sold including buyer's premium:

32,500 USD

That is insane

Maybe. But then I thought that an insert alone on Ebay that was broken in at least 11 pieces, and the ad said he didn't know if all the poieces were there, sold for over $1000usd was insane. 

When a gen 6542 with original dial, hands, insert and bezel sells for more than $60,000usd, and a 6542 that has a Rolex factory replacement service dial and metal insert can be as low as $12,000usd, what is the gen bezel assembly worth? If you came onto a 6542  for $12K to $25K that needed a bezel assembly, is $32,500 worth the investment? 

I've seen gen 6542s with my aftermarket inserts sell for more than $50K. Surprisingly to me the majority by far of my inserts have been shipped to individuals in Honk Kong and Switzerland. 

I don't know of any aftermarket bezels that are made of nickel-plated brass, all I've seen are stainless steel. But I do know how much work goes into making each insert, how much research before hand to get it right, how many attempts to find the correct colors and grainy look on the numbers, and keep it all from bleeding into each other.  Heck, just getting them the right dimensions on a consistent basis is a job. And I've been trying for over a year now to make a correct  brass bezel.  

The bottom line is that, like our reps that range from $100 to fully modded frankens over $6K, it is worth what someone will pay.