When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Trusty's sub and gmt master - gen parts really interchangable ?

db1

Hi guys,

following the description on one of Trusty's listings:

http://www.ttw888.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_7&products_id=10893&zenid=158642ddbadfb457ca51a119b242ff00

"External Dimension is 1 : 1 against the Genuine... All External Parts are interchangeable with Genuine...."

The same description can be seen on the GMT master rep listing.

Is it legit ?

e.g. could I fit a gen crown and tube without re-tapping and without doing any adjustments ? how about a bezel assembly ? or a gen dial , crystal etc..

(The plan is to buy the rep with an asian ETA, and fit gen tube+crown, gen bezel assembly+insert, gen dial and maybe also gen crystal later on )

Any help will be appreciated.

Many thanks!

Db

Crown and tube usually will fit as most replicas have the proper threads in the case. Bezel and crystal maybe, someone who has tried this should know.

Looking at this from a $$ standpoint...

Case tubes and crowns are often swapped out for genuine parts because the replica parts are not very good but when a genuine bezel assembly, insert, dial, and crystal are fitted it will cost a lot of $$ and probably not raise the value of the watch much at all.

Besides, if you go for a genuine tube, crown, bezel assembly, insert, dial, and crystal...you still have the bracelet to contend with along with the 'trouble-prone-Asian-clone' inside.

Another reason not to add a genuine bezel, insert, dial, and crystal...

Basic cartel replicas are not usually 'keepers' because a better version is always just around the corner.

Otoh Frankensteins with genuine movements or cases etc may turn out to be long term keepers and the $$ spent on genuine parts is easier to rationalize.

Thank you so much for the in-depth and informative reply mate :)

So the rlx reps trusty sell as "ultimate" are cartel grade reps? (I thought that cartel grade are the $130 reps)

How accurate is trusty's sub or gmt master?

Many thanks!

Db

The term "Ultimate" started with 'Paul' on his Abay and Womart sales sites about 10 or 12 years ago and it was a joke back then and as far as I know still a joke today.

I am not very well versed in the current offerings but I always thought Trusty Time was one of the so called 'cartel' members. To get oem spec watches you may need to go with TC or something along that line.

Something else to consider when buying these watches is the watch that accepted genuine parts that was for sale three months ago may not be the same watch being sold today. They may look alike but the later version may have different bezel, crystal, and dial sizes.

I have installed gen gasket on a BP GMT IIc and it worked fine, both with rep and gen bezel retaining rings.

Gen gasket doesn't work on a BP Sub C because the BP sub-c retaining ring has a larger ID than gen. I imagine a gen bezel with retaining ring would work fine with gen gasket.

---

The sub that's pictured in that link almost certainly won't take gen anything.

---

This "adding two posts together" thing is annoying, I posted two different posts because I wanted to.

Edited by sneed12

I have installed gen gasket on a BP GMT IIc and it worked fine, both with rep and gen bezel retaining rings.

Gen gasket doesn't work on a BP Sub C because the BP sub-c retaining ring has a larger ID than gen. I imagine a gen bezel with retaining ring would work fine with gen gasket.

---

The sub that's pictured in that link almost certainly won't take gen anything.

---

This "adding two posts together" thing is annoying, I posted two different posts because I wanted to.

Thanks for the reply sneed !

so does a BP sub\gmt rep is a better choice for accepting gen parts (e.g. crown, tube, insert, dial ) right out-the-box ?

Cheers!

Db :)