When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Value of distressed 1970's GMT master

AyJayKay

Glad it came together, and that you kept the original parts (you should make sure you get the small arrow GMT hand back if you don't have it).

If you are happy with how it looks, then wear it with pride and don't worry about whether or not the value went down by adding the new parts. You have the old ones, and it's a trivial expense to put them back in if you ever want to sell it. For what you have in it, you still got a great deal.

Personally, I'm an Oyster guy with Sub and GMT cases. Short term, get one of Mary's 7836's and endlinks from WSO and for $80 you have something to wear while you look for a gen.

If you are not a purist, then what you did makes perfect sense. You have a new watch essentially, with the option of easily returning it to it's original configuration. You do need to get the small GMT hand back though, they are quite valuable.

In it's present configuration it's more usable. I would try to find a nice 78360 bracelet and either 280 or 580 end links. Keep and eye out over on the vintage Rolex Market, they come up for sale all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on a great bargain.  I personally would have kept the original dial/hands as is.  I would not get the minute hand repaired.  If I were you, I would leave the hands/dial in a drawer as they are, and only when/if you decided you want to put them back on and cannot live with a slightly damaged minute hand, get it repaired then.  No point in doing it now as your thinking might change over the next couple of years...  

Wear it in good health.

Despite the fact that it looked a million times better WITHOUT the refurb parts, well done for getting a bargain! Who did the refurb? Your watch maker or Rolex?

I was in two minds about keeping it original or doing a full refurb. The RSG insists on keeping the old parts, so i took it to the company that services Hublot, Omega and others locally. They also do a LOT of Rolexes and are very well respcted in the collecting community. I know them well and have used them frequently over the years. As I intend to wear the watch for a few years it was good enough for me. I got a valuation and crtificate of authenticity.

If I want to sell the waych in future, I can alsways send it to the official RSG for a service to get the paper work with a Rolex sticker on it.

Such a shame, your new parts probably wiped a few thousand dollars off of the value.

I kept all the original parts so I can revert to the vintage look within an hour. Well, not me personaly, but the service centre can :).

Actually I kept the old glass as well, Although scratched an yellowed, most of the scratches can be buffed out.

So the vintage look can be easily restored. At least it runs properly now.

Edited by AyJayKay

If you are not a purist, then what you did makes perfect sense. You have a new watch essentially, with the option of easily returning it to it's original configuration. You do need to get the small GMT hand back though, they are quite valuable.

In it's present configuration it's more usable. I would try to find a nice 78360 bracelet and either 280 or 580 end links. Keep and eye out over on the vintage Rolex Market, they come up for sale all the time.

I do have all the hands, dial, glass and bezerl insert. Actually the dial looks very very good, but the markers no longer glow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad it came together, and that you kept the original parts (you should make sure you get the small arrow GMT hand back if you don't have it).

If you are happy with how it looks, then wear it with pride and don't worry about whether or not the value went down by adding the new parts. You have the old ones, and it's a trivial expense to put them back in if you ever want to sell it. For what you have in it, you still got a great deal.

Personally, I'm an Oyster guy with Sub and GMT cases. Short term, get one of Mary's 7836's and endlinks from WSO and for $80 you have something to wear while you look for a gen.

Thanks tomhorn

I am a total newbie on this site. Can you please give me a link to Mary and WSO?

This looks really good.  What a great deal.  I have more than your cost invested in my 16750 franken.  Up until recently I would have gone the same route and refurbished it.  As I spend more time here I would be more inclined to leave it in its vintage awesomeness.  As you stated though easy to change it back.  Your friend have any more vintage Rolex's they want to sell?