When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bait and Switch from a TD

Change

I'm extremely upset right now. After emailing a TD, and confirming a particular watch was in stock, I placed the order.

3 days go by and as most of you may remember, the first QC pics they sent were of another persons order. I rejected the wrong order, of course, they apologize and ask me to wait patiently. 5 days go by and they send me QC pics of my watch order. There were some issues, most notably one issue being the date wheel was facing the wrong direction and reading horizontally rather than vertically as it should. I point out the flaw, and reject the watch. They apologize and ask me to wait patiently. 5 days go by, and I receive new QC pics. It's the exact same watch with the exact same flaw. I of course reject this watch again, and point out that they sent me pictures of the same watch with the same flaw. They apologize and say the maker made a mistake, and they will get it corrected. "Please be patient", they say... Now, another 6 days have passed and I get new QC pics today. Except, they're not new pics at all, it's the EXACT SAME WATCH AGAIN!!!  :angry2:

I politely reject by saying "it appears you're unable to find the correct watch, please refund my money". To which they respond, "we are so sorry that since it's a cheap model ,the maker can't deliver us one with centered datewheel." and they tell me I can upgrade my purchase if I want the correct version... I ask what the price difference is, and they send me a link to a version that's $250 more than what I purchased, and a completely different color. Are you kidding me?  :nono:

So this TD told me they had the watch in stock, I paid them. They couldn't provide the watch they said they had, and now they want me to send them another $250 to get it corrected with a variety of the watch I didn't order or want?  :fool:

I've now asked for a refund. I'm wondering if I should report this TD to the Mods or Admins? How is this acceptable behavior by a "Trusted" dealer? 

It's like going to a restaurant and ordering a sirloin medium rare. They bring it out and it's well done. You ask them to fix it, and 2 more times they bring you the same steak. Then they say "our chef can't cook sirloin correctly, we suggest you get a better steak, try this Kobe beef instead, it's 3 times the price of your sirloin"... Why would I trust you to deliver the higher end version when you couldn't get the one I ordered correct?

5 years I've been buying reps, and NEVER had a problem like this. Maybe I've been lucky, but I really think this TD is just a liar and a cheat.

Edited by Change

Out of curiosity, were the AD photos on the WEB Site that you ordered from showing the date-wheel with the proper alignment?

No, not AD photos. QC photos from their own process.

Without the name of a dealer it is not useful. I understand that someone might be hesitant to cry foul and tarnish a dealers reputation but the whole point of these forums is to educate and keep the community safe from such issues. You should post the QC pics showing the issue and give us the name of the dealer so everyone will know to keep an eye out.

At least you should send this to Mike on a Bike and he can help send the info out to the members if you don't want to.

Without the name of a dealer it is not useful. I understand that someone might be hesitant to cry foul and tarnish a dealers reputation but the whole point of these forums is to educate and keep the community safe from such issues. You should post the QC pics showing the issue and give us the name of the dealer so everyone will know to keep an eye out.

At least you should send this to Mike on a Bike and he can help send the info out to the members if you don't want to.

Thanks. Mike has already reached out to me about this, and I thank him for doing so. I'm hesitant to post who the dealer in question is, as I believe it can be resolved by a refund. Many other people trust this dealer and have great experiences. Mine, not so much.

If Mike chooses to out the TD, so be it. I trust his judgement. If the TD refuses to refund me, then I'll be posting the details on every Rep forum I know of. :)

I have a few cases pending with different dealers. I have leverage till I/we out them so, let us play our cards close to the vest. ;)

Thanks, Mike. If this dealer refuses to refund, or shorts me in any way. I'll notify you. 

Appreciate your assistance. 

We have trusted dealers for a reason. If one is lying or cheating I think we should know. If it continues their status as a TD should be revoked. I hope you get it sorted.

Hi, really believe that as it´s a TD issue You get Your refund and lost (a lot) of time. Latest after the 3rd rejection until now at least I give up on that model, get a refund and normally get something else from another TD. Would be interesting if You disclosed the watch model too with the horizontal date as it seems a standard issue on that rep. Good luck with clearing this out the soonest possible.

We have trusted dealers for a reason. If one is lying or cheating I think we should know. If it continues their status as a TD should be revoked. I hope you get it sorted.

I do not have a pattern or rather one dealer who stands out, sh*t happens not all this blatant . Rest assured if any of or dealers was consistently pulling stuff I would act. 

I do not have a pattern or rather one dealer who stands out, sh*t happens not all this blatant . Rest assured if any of or dealers was consistently pulling stuff I would act.

Yep, understand that Mike. That's why I said 'if' it continues, i.e. with more than one sale. Good to know you have our best interest at heart :D

While this is very frustrating, I don't see how it's a bait and switch. If the exact watch you ordered comes from the factory with a crap datewheel, OR the latest batch from this factory has a bad datewheel (Chinese factories will sell all bad watches before they fix a problem and release an improved watch) then that's just how it is.

BTW this practice has destroyed trusted dealers. If a hot new watch model has a glaring flaw upon release, the factory will not fix the flaw until every watch they made with the flaw is sold somehow. To correct your analogy, the "chef" at this restaurant can not be controlled by the owner and cooks whatever he wants, and how he wants to cook it.

Not knowing which watch you are buying prevents me from commenting further.

Well if the pics of the watch on the website don't have the issue and then the QC pics do have the issue it does seem fairly close to a bait and switch to me. However I do agree that if he is rejecting a watch based on a "known" issue with a particular version then it is him not the dealer that is at fault. Like I said previously without the posting of the QC pics in question it is hard to draw solid conclusions.

It's a Ploprof V1.5. It's been available for a couple of years. The pics on the website are fine, and QC pics aren't. If they'd have said it was a known issue after the first time I pointed it out, I'd say it wasn't shady. But trying to pass off the same watch 3 times, then telling me I need to pay more to get the correct version? That's an absolute bait and switch... I have the money for the better version, and will opt for it from another dealer. But I will not reward dishonesty. No one should.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This kind of thing happens - a factory will get in some bad parts and use them anyway. Apathy is a huge thing with replica factories. They will sell them to someone else, if not to you. That's why they don't care. I bet the next batch made is back to normal.

This kind of thing happens - a factory will get in some bad parts and use them anyway. Apathy is a huge thing with replica factories. They will sell them to someone else, if not to you. That's why they don't care. I bet the next batch made is back to normal.

That's fine if the factories operate that way. They provide a product, they can do what they want as long as demand drives it. However, it's not ok for a TD to try and pass off the same watch 3 times, then ask the customer to pay more if they want it corrected. Regardless of the factories practice, a TD should practice ethically if they want to remain "Trusted" imo.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD using Telepathy

• Like 1

I am a sure an e mail w/  "all watches available from the factory for the foreseeable future have the DW misaligned/bad, sorry. " and our  OP could either take have fixed, asked for refund or chosen another. I get the feeling that if this had been done from first go round W/  " however the higher version is OK would you like that or a refund, so sorry but we have no control over the factory. " we would have never had this thread.

I am a sure an e mail w/ "all watches available from the factory for the foreseeable future have the DW misaligned/bad, sorry. " and our OP could either take have fixed, asked for refund or chosen another. I get the feeling that if this had been done from first go round W/ " however the higher version is OK would you like that or a refund, so sorry but we have no control over the factory. " we would have never had this thread.

Absolutely, Mike. Had it been presented in that manner, I would have upgraded without hesitation and felt very confident in the TD for being up front about it.

Sent from my HTC One M8 via Tapatalk

my last order with a TD was something similar.... adked for a model, yes it is in stock pls pay.... i pay and 2 days later "sorry the factory does not have it and thwy will have some new ones in 2 weeks"...... ok [censored] happens I choose another one..... bezel insert out of line... i reject and they INSIST there is nothing wrong.... I answer back i need to seek help in the forum... next day the show me that the bezel insert is fine, it was just the picture taken from the wrong angle... yeah right!

bottom line is, myself as well did not name the TD in this occasion (perhaps not as bad as your case) but it seems wherever you have a negative feedback from a TD you will get shot by other members saying that all is heaven.

since i joined this forum i have learned a lot, done plenty of research and trully believe that this cases must be open for the rest to see. At the end of the day a feedback is a feedback, good bad or medium it allows members to make informed decisions.... and not only on watch models.

how many times do i see newbys asking "who can source the best Omega?" and the answer is.... "welcome n board...and read the fn forum!"

Why can we be more open when serious miss trust has been experienced by a member and a nominated TD? At the end of the day we trust these guys with our cash sent to the other side of the planet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

"but it seems wherever you have a negative feedback from a TD you will get shot by other members saying that all is heaven." I have seen that on other boards and defended the poster, I strongly believe a feedback system is worthless if only good things are tolerated. Now at times negative feedback is posted because buyers want there hands held or are impatient but on issues as above this does not happen here.

The forums serve the members, not the TDs. That is why not being able to share QC photos on other forums is complete backwards bullshit.  Complaints against TDs should always be considered but it is often the case that some newb is panicking or doesn't understand the game well enough. How many posts have you all seen in the last 2 weeks screaming and crying about slow email communications .. during a Chinese national holiday. That is pure newbie backwards bs.

The street runs in both directions. Yes, you can complain and seek help about TD troubles but if you are new .. the problem is probably you.

"That is why not being able to share QC photos on other forums is complete backwards bullshit" agreed never understood that, got into it a little in a thread next store but stopped short of really calling bullshit. Having a sort of unique position because of my work here I let it go, not to say my feelings are not known.

I should have said: "The forums serve the members, not the TDs"       BINGO!

• Like 1