When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

vintagewatchmaker

AndyFors

i can confirm the crown is [censored]. i threw it out as soon as i opened the package. the tube though will fit gen crown. dial is average. with insert i think you will need a gen as everyone is an expert thse days thanks to the macro pic posted on various forums

i can confirm the crown is shit. i threw it out as soon as i opened the package. the tube though will fit gen crown. dial is average. with insert i think you will need a gen as everyone is an expert thse days thanks to the macro pic posted on various forums

I agree, if you buy a 6538 case from phong get a gen crown and insert and use Michael young hands and a dial from Minh at the very least :)

Thanks fellas.  So it sounds like it's not worth it to buy that kit and you are better off just getting the Phong case and the bezel.  Got it.

Maybe this is blasphemy, but how is Athaya's V2 crown for these types of franken builds?  I know it is fantastic for the budget oriented builds that many of us take on, but how about for these frankens?  My gut is saying it's better to go gen but I just thought I would ask.   :)

Has Michael Young produced the gen spec hands and does he have them readily available?  Another member was trying to organize a group buy for a long hour handset for the DG2813 and it was going to require new tooling and various hoops, plus minimum quantities.  Are the 6538 hands a different story?

Thanks for the insights.  I'm a long way away from taking on something like this, but I'm trying to do my homework and legwork now so that I can jump in when I am ready and/or pounce on a good deal on a part along the way if I find something that would work.

Edited by Mendota Explorer

Michael's hands are great (long ones in discussion were for 6200's) and he does have them available but I hear he is making a second series of these soon using his own dime that will be even better. For the crown gen or nothing for a Franken build, it's so obvious and because it's so big... Noticeable

I wouldn't say that the gen crown/tube difference motivates the extra >$500. Really like the Athaya v2. But of course depends on your budget - if you already have $4.5k in Phong case, 1030 and a bad ass dial it's of course just stupid not going for crown set?