When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sunday Wristies

droptopman

Cc33, I really like how that case and bezel are coming along, Looks like you've been wearing it a LOT. And that shot from the front... this the perfect example of a Big Crown. Spectacular!

Great comparison! Now people can really see the diff between phong and Minh, I wear the heck out of mine. When I had the dial replaced I had my polisher do what we call "collectors polish", it's very light, I figure with a light polish every so often it'll start to look really good. Thanks Nanuq, means a lot and yours looks soooo good!! I can't wait to see it after your final mod :)

Thanks mate. I was helping my son shovel two dump truck loads of dirt yesterday so I missed the Express Delivery man... But the final parts are in town. Now I need to find a modder to do the install. My go-to guy has been radio silent for months.

Good thinking? Anyhow we better have better firepower than this bad guy

Yes, as well as all other non-democracies (democracies do not attack each other).

No to belabor this (too much) in a wristies, but, as history has proven (repeatedly) - the only thing a bad guy with a gun fears is a good guy with a gun. No amount of polite talk or cult of personality can or will dissuade a thug from taking advantage of the innocent. When the good guys with guns outnumber the bad guys with guns you have peace. The converse nearly always results in war.

Yes, as well as all other non-democracies (democracies do not attack each other).

No to belabor this (too much) in a wristies, but, as history has proven (repeatedly) - the only thing a bad guy with a gun fears is a good guy with a gun. No amount of polite talk or cult of personality can or will dissuade a thug from taking advantage of the innocent. When the good guys with guns outnumber the bad guys with guns you have peace. The converse nearly always results in war.

Another madman shoots and kills 6 people and you still think this is a viable "solution"?

The bad guys will always have more lethal / more intimidating weapons, be it guns, knives or a baseball bats. They will always have the upper hand in weaponry as they don't care about the law.

Hence it doesn't matter what the law allows you to have, you won't have better weapons, the only difference is advanced weapons are better at killing more people quickly, so more of your family stand a higher chance of dying, and the more bad guys. (which makes no difference as there will always be bad guys)

I'd rather live somewhere where the bad guys only have to use a bigger stick than the law allows. If the worst happens I'll get loads of bruises, cuts and a few broken bones, but I'll be alive.

Another madman shoots and kills 6 people and you still think this is a viable "solution"?

The bad guys will always have more lethal / more intimidating weapons, be it guns, knives or a baseball bats. They will always have the upper hand in weaponry as they don't care about the law.

The word in bold (madman) is the problem, not the inanimate objects he used (knife, BMW & handguns).

How do you figure the bad guys will always have more lethal weapons? That makes no sense.

The word in bold (madman) is the problem, not the inanimate objects he used (knife, BMW & handguns).

How do you figure the bad guys will always have more lethal weapons? That makes no sense.

I agree that it's the person(s) behind the weapons that are the problem. It's just that the advancement in weaponry has one thing in mind, to kill with greater accuracy and speed. (well, at least in the past 20 or so years anyway)

Why will the bad guys always have more lethal weapons? If the law states that the general public can only carry a knife with a 4" blade (I think that's what it is in the UK), the criminal doesn't give a hoot about the law so will carry a machette or worse.

A large part of carrying any weapon is intimidation, the threat of using it (cold war, arms race, etc), so bigger or well known deadly weapon is more intimidating. If you've got a shotgun and the criminal who breaks in has an AK47, and it's pointed at you, would you try to go for the shotgun? Or say "Take what you want but don't hurt us"?

I forgot before to mention one important aspect, and that is what sort of criminal are we dealing with? Opportunistic criminals I imagine will be unlikely to be carrying illegal weapons (or extremely illegal), as they don't go out with the intention to commit crime, but they can't resist an opportunity if one appears. The other type is those who have set out with bad intentions, burglary, armed robbery, etc. They will have thought about it and will have more intimidating weaponry than the public has access too. But (I think) it will be pointless of them to go totally OTT. How many post office robbers have you heard going along with a tank or thermo nuclear warhead? :) They just need something "bigger" that has enough of an intimidation factor. They would also consider the case if they got caught - the length of the prison sentence they're looking at if they had an auto hand gun or assault rifle Vs. if they had fragmentation grenades, rocket launchers and armoured cars (examples just picked from thin air)

It's just that the advancement in weaponry has one thing in mind, to kill with greater accuracy and speed. (well, at least in the past 20 or so years anyway)

In the case of some weapons, yes. But, in the case of most small arms (pistols, rifles), the improvements are designed to defend oneself with more efficiency.

Why will the bad guys always have more lethal weapons? If the law states that the general public can only carry a knife with a 4" blade (I think that's what it is in the UK), the criminal doesn't give a hoot about the law so will carry a machette or worse.

Well, there you hit upon the precise problem - criminals, by definition, do not follow laws; only law-abiding citizens do. That is precisely why the laws that limit the law-abiding only make it easier for criminals to harm the innocent. & that is why the US allows the law-abiding to keep & bear arms (including automatic weapons, with appropriate licensing). In those countries/state where it is difficult for the law-abiding to arm themselves, you find the most crime & instances of mass murder.

A large part of carrying any weapon is intimidation, the threat of using it (cold war, arms race, etc), so bigger or well known deadly weapon is more intimidating. If you've got a shotgun and the criminal who breaks in has an AK47, and it's pointed at you, would you try to go for the shotgun? Or say "Take what you want but don't hurt us"?

Well, you are partly correct. Intimidation only works if the person you are trying to intimidate has a reason to believe you are likely to use that weapon. If not, they will walk all over you, no matter what you have (Obama is a good case in point here).

I forgot before to mention one important aspect, and that is what sort of criminal are we dealing with? Opportunistic criminals I imagine will be unlikely to be carrying illegal weapons (or extremely illegal), as they don't go out with the intention to commit crime, but they can't resist an opportunity if one appears. The other type is those who have set out with bad intentions, burglary, armed robbery, etc. They will have thought about it and will have more intimidating weaponry than the public has access too. But (I think) it will be pointless of them to go totally OTT. How many post office robbers have you heard going along with a tank or thermo nuclear warhead? :) They just need something "bigger" that has enough of an intimidation factor. They would also consider the case if they got caught - the length of the prison sentence they're looking at if they had an auto hand gun or assault rifle Vs. if they had fragmentation grenades, rocket launchers and armoured cars (examples just picked from thin air)

Agreed.