When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch care for automatic movements?

dusk

I just read that kinetic watches can seize up if allowed to die as the lubricants may harden and congeal. Do automatic watches benefit from being constantly ticking or does it not matter? I'm keeping all of my reps going at the moment and it's like spinning plates. I have a mixture of movements now. Been looking at watch winder displays...

http://watch-winder.co.uk/four-quad-watch-winders.html

Any advice here fellas?

Dusk

I've got mixed feelings about winders. At one time I had three 4 watch winders and kept almost all of my watches on winders. They are handy for non quickset watches (older vintage) that require winding the hands forward 2 revolutions per day to get the date correct. Maybe complications that are a PITA to reset after running down for a few weeks. Other than that, I really can't see the advantage to keeping one wound. I'm down to one working winder, and it has 4 watches being wound, the other 25 or so are in watch boxes and my wrist.

I believe that what you read is pretty controversial, the oils used today are synthetic, and while I have no watchmaking knowledge, from all I've read and heard, the new oils are very stable and don't break down like the old natural oils did. That's not to say that oils last forever, because they don't, but they tend to be pretty stable for quite a few years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've got mixed feelings about winders. At one time I had three 4 watch winders and kept almost all of my watches on winders. They are handy for non quickset watches (older vintage) that require winding the hands forward 2 revolutions per day to get the date correct. Maybe complications that are a PITA to reset after running down for a few weeks. Other than that, I really can't see the advantage to keeping one wound. I'm down to one working winder, and it has 4 watches being wound, the other 25 or so are in watch boxes and my wrist.

I believe that what you read is pretty controversial, the oils used today are synthetic, and while I have no watchmaking knowledge, from all I've read and heard, the new oils are very stable and don't break down like the old natural oils did. That's not to say that oils last forever, because they don't, but they tend to be pretty stable for quite a few years.

Thanks for this useful info. Funnily enough I read the oil thing in the website that I linked which is interesting as they sell watch winders. Hmmmmmmm

I agree with what you say though, these things take 20 seconds to set anyway

To echo my friend panerai, I really do not bother much about winders these days. Also there are two schools of thought I have seen debated. One keep them on winders oils moving yada yada the other no, no winder wears the movement out. I can not say which one is right with certainty. But some of the finicky Asian ones we get best left alone for sure, the example being the a7750 w/ the seconds @ 6.

• Like 1

Would you rather have...

1... a seven year old watch that has been worn about two years total and flopping around on a winder the other five and needing service for sure?

2...or a watch worn two years total out of seven and parked the rest of the time with immediate service not really an issue?

Both at the same price.

I would always go for watch number 2.

Would you rather have...

1... a seven year old watch that has been worn about two years total and flopping around on a winder the other five and needing service for sure?

2...or a watch worn two years total out of seven and parked the rest of the time with immediate service not really an issue?

Both at the same price.

I would always go for watch number 2.

Yes very true mate. I've ordered an aligator skin display box, (not real gator obviously)

These generic watch winders are very overrated. The ones you see from $100-$300 generally don't have a way to change the speed settings on the winder (stay away from those). All watches have different movements and should have their own different winding settings, not just one setting for all watches, and those winders can get really expensive, as they should because they are keeping some very expensive watches in tip top condition.

As was correctly pointed out the oil lubricants that are used now are so much better than the old stuff that used to gunk the watches up so the odd wind or shake of the watch is sufficient (just look at your car oil:you used to need an oil change every 3000 miles but now some cars can go 13,000 miles before a change).

Just a shake or a few winds once in a while and you should be ok.

Edited by Robert Thompson

I've had winders for over a year now.

The current one is a 12 watch winder which is full.

If I only had a small winder the other watches not on it just wouldn't get worn as I consider it a pain to correct the day, date and time each morning as I rotate around them.

So for me the choice is:-

1 Have a winder and get the majority of watches serviced when they need it, and have all my (auto) watches keep the correct time and date.

2 Have no or a small winder and have 25 watches sitting there never being worn as they all need setting.

I feel the second choice is daft, why bother buying those watches? They won't get used. Buy a decent winder and enjoy ALL my watches :)

I've had winders for over a year now.

The current one is a 12 watch winder which is full.

If I only had a small winder the other watches not on it just wouldn't get worn as I consider it a pain to correct the day, date and time each morning as I rotate around them.

So for me the choice is:-

1 Have a winder and get the majority of watches serviced when they need it, and have all my (auto) watches keep the correct time and date.

2 Have no or a small winder and have 25 watches sitting there never being worn as they all need setting.

I feel the second choice is daft, why bother buying those watches? They won't get used. Buy a decent winder and enjoy ALL my watches :)

I can see this point of view too, it's kind of a nice idea to just grab a watch as the mood takes you. In addition if the watches are on display visitors and guests can marvel at the sweeping second hands all floating round in unison, lol

I can only find 4 watch winder displays did you get your 12 watch winder mate?

Like Fraggle I like to keep my watches on a winder. My first was a cheap 4 watch winder off the bay. It does have multiple settings but is somewhat noisy. Bought a better 8 watch winder a couple of months ago with multiple settings for each wheel and is nice and quiet. I change watches at least daily so like to be able to just grab one without setting it. Also nice for display. Here is a crappy dark picture of it. I got this one on the bay too. Be happy to give you the source. It was reasonable and is pretty good.

zu8ehu2a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Like Fraggle I like to keep my watches on a winder. My first was a cheap 4 watch winder off the bay. It does have multiple settings but is somewhat noisy. Bought a better 8 watch winder a couple of months ago with multiple settings for each wheel and is nice and quiet. I change watches at least daily so like to be able to just grab one without setting it. Also nice for display. Here is a crappy dark picture of it. I got this one on the bay too. Be happy to give you the source. It was reasonable and is pretty good. zu8ehu2a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice! And your watch collection isn't too shabby either!

I'm moving house very soon so I'll shoot you a pm when I have decided what I want to do. I have a crappy £12 display box on the way no so I'll hold fire for a bit...

This is the one I bought

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Watch-Winder-Case-for-24-Watches-Burlwood-WatchWinder-New-/390609659971?pt=UK_Jewellery_Watches_WatchAccessories_SpareParts_SM&hash=item5af2266843

$T2eC16NHJIIE9qTYI12jBRZ+TOeREg~~60_12.J

It's great for the price.

The bottom row of winders can only take thin watches as they're close to the perspex front - thick watches actually touch the perspex as they are rotating (not a problem for the watch as metal and sapphire is harder than perspex)

It does make slight juddering noises as some of the "turrets" aren't perfectly central and at times touch the sides - I think just taking them out (they clip in and out easily) and putting some light grease around them will shut this up, but I'm half deaf so never hear it when sleeping :)

This is the one I bought

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Watch-Winder-Case-for-24-Watches-Burlwood-WatchWinder-New-/390609659971?pt=UK_Jewellery_Watches_WatchAccessories_SpareParts_SM&hash=item5af2266843

$T2eC16NHJIIE9qTYI12jBRZ+TOeREg~~60_12.J

It's great for the price.

The bottom row of winders can only take thin watches as they're close to the perspex front - thick watches actually touch the perspex as they are rotating (not a problem for the watch as metal and sapphire is harder than perspex)

It does make slight juddering noises as some of the "turrets" aren't perfectly central and at times touch the sides - I think just taking them out (they clip in and out easily) and putting some light grease around them will shut this up, but I'm half deaf so never hear it when sleeping :)

Looking good. I bet that's a sight to behold when full! I'll have a look on eBay tonight!

Dusk