When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen SubC Bezel Assembly Deconstruction

dbane883

As some of you know, I have recently had the good fortune of acquiring a gen 116610 bezel assembly:

IMG_3561_zpsee5d3c6d.jpg

The construction of this particular unit has been a mystery for me, until today. I have struggled for the past couple of weeks in finding a way to remove the ceramic insert from the bezel itself. Having heard horror stories that RSC themselves have problems removing the fragile insert (often breaking them), this was quite the challenge. As a result, inserts and bezels come fully assembled now.

I have not seen or read any method where this surgery was successful. I have also heard rumors of a "special" tool that RSC uses that is only somewhat successful. However, I am happy to report that I have developed a process that I can repeat, and the bezel has now been fully, and safely disassembled!

IMG_3730_zpsa44f6088.jpg

I understand that very few will ever have a need to attempt this, but for those of you interested, here's how I did it.

After carefully examining the assembly, I gathered that I would have to somehow push the insert upwards while pressing down on the bezel to release the insert. Unlike rep inserts, the gen insert is held in with friction. as such, if one does not apply even pressure, the insert will snap. If you look closely, the middle of the insert overhangs the inside of the bezel leaving about 0.3-0.4mm of clearance:

IMG_3734_zpsd09f7e44.jpg

Using this diameter, I had a die fabricated out of delrin, such that it would fit inside the bezel and rest under the inside lip of the insert:

IMG_3735_zps1088a19e.jpg

IMG_3736_zps7ff8f894.jpg

In the same vein, I reasoned that I would then have to apply downward pressure on the bezel edge only while pressing the insert up. So I fabricated a die so that the entire bezel would fit inside a recessed channel, milled to the same contour of the bezel that would only apply pressure to the outer edge:

IMG_3738_zps021119a9.jpg

IMG_3740_zpsb6a40f81.jpg

The key was to have the bezel fit exactly and not allow any wiggle room as I did not want to risk the die slipping off during the pressing process.

Now I gently put the two dies together to test for snugness. Perfect fit:

IMG_3741_zps2adf6475.jpg

The "crystal" press I have been using is actually my wifes grommet/eyelet press. Its beefy and very solid. I had my dies fitted with the appropriate connection hardware.

IMG_3742_zpsc33ce31c.jpg

I installed the bottom die and placed the bezel assembly onto the pedestal.

IMG_3743_zpsb8222b86.jpg

Followed by the top die:

IMG_3744_zps542cfcc2.jpg

Now the moment of truth! I will not lie, I was peeing my pants. Would be a shame to destroy a brand new insert! The result? Success!

IMG_3745_zpsd157f3eb.jpg

IMG_3747_zps1a75d530.jpg

Insert is perfectly preserved. I am somewhat surprised I had to resort to this. Definitely not for the faint of heart. But with my new tools, I think I can confidently repeat this safely in the future.

Upon close examination, the insert retaining ring is metal. For some reason I had thought this was plastic.

IMG_3731_zps22b53a2e.jpg

Reassembling will be relatively simple in comparison; All three pieces will go back together and simply pressed together.

I think there is a reason I have stuck with vintage builds. Working with these modern ceramic parts can be very scary!

I hope you enjoyed the show.

• Like 3

Not that anyone but me cares, but here is a close up of the inside of the gen bezel.

You can see the bottom area where the "stabilizer ring" sits.

Just above that is the recessed area for the ceramic insert. There is a tiny lip that secures the insert in place that holds it in place via friction, just like the "old school" inserts.

Also, I've noticed that the insert is not 100% ceramic. From the edge, I can see that a thin layer of carbon fibre (?) or fibre glass is sandwiched in the middle.

butydybe.jpg

u5utegat.jpg

I think Cerachrom is just a brand name.  Like Kleenex is to tissue.  Chemically, its the same as other ceramics.  According to their patent, the inserts are made of "A sintered substrate 1 made of ZrO2, Al2O3 or a mixture of the two".   Nothing special there.

But I definitely see something sandwiched in the middle..   Its not uniform.

• 7 months later...