When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

world unknown the a7750

Ezio

So guys im on the fence on buying a tag carrera with a 7750

And i been searching and searching about it here

But still im not sure about somethings

Is it really a good movement or should i just pass on it

I see alot complain about it how it stops suddenly

And what is with that you cant set the Time between some hours and some not

It feels like alot to consider so need you watch genius to enlighten me is it worth it

As Always best regards Simon

Edited by Ezio

My first rep was a Breitling Skyland that I bought in 2008 and it has a A7750 in it. It ran perfectly for 5 years! I recently serviced it myself and I'm sure it'll run perfectly for the next 5 years.

Yes there can be issues with the movement, depending on how's it's assembled. But most problems are due to dirty, dry movements. Properly serviced, it's a solid, reliable movement.

If I had my eye on a watch that had a A7750; I'd still get it.

As Rolexman said, there is nothing wrong with the A7750's that are not modified. If they have the standard 6/9/12 configuration they are fine.

Once you try to move the running seconds from the 9 o'clock position is where you can run into trouble. The added gears are the culprits.

Also, for the record, it doesn't matter whether it's an A7750 or ETA 7750, you have to be careful setting the day/date.

Edited by tomhorn

Personally I'd avoid the so called "ETA" 7750s as they're pulled from old watches, some parts replaced with Asian rep parts if necessary and thrown back together - without being cleaned / serviced.

Stick to A7750s.

(unless you can find a genuine NOS ETA 7750, which'll cost you maybe $425 by iteslf)

Hi Ezio (actually, do you know that Ezio is a typical Italian "old style" name?)

what I can say about the A7750 (got info reading and reading) it's:

• Running seconds subdial should by @9 (like in the Panerai, in the TAG, NOT like in the IWC Portuguese or in the Rolex Daytona) and not in other places (the other subdials aren't that important)
  • Avoid, if possible, to hand-wind them. If it's not possible, do it SLOWLY and just until it start runs by itself, then wear it and let the automatic winding to do the rest of the job
  • Never set the date or the day between 21 and 3 (9pm - 3am), if you've to set the date and you're in that interval, change the time to 5pm or 4am, change the day-date, then put it to the correct time. But avoid to set the time counterclockwise
  • If you run the chrono, then reset it by 1st pressing the stop button and then the reset button (never use the reset while it's still running). Reset the chrono when the chrono seconds hand is between 10 and 2, to avoid the risk of misalignment.

That's all :)

• Like 1

Hi Ezio (actually, do you know that Ezio is a typical Italian "old style" name?)

what I can say about the A7750 (got info reading and reading) it's:

• Running seconds subdial should by @9 (like in the Panerai, in the TAG, NOT like in the IWC Portuguese or in the Rolex Daytona) and not in other places (the other subdials aren't that important)
  • Avoid, if possible, to hand-wind them. If it's not possible, do it SLOWLY and just until it start runs by itself, then wear it and let the automatic winding to do the rest of the job
  • Never set the date or the day between 21 and 3 (9pm - 3am), if you've to set the date and you're in that interval, change the time to 5pm or 4am, change the day-date, then put it to the correct time. But avoid to set the time counterclockwise
  • If you run the chrono, then reset it by 1st pressing the stop button and then the reset button (never use the reset while it's still running). Reset the chrono when the chrono seconds hand is between 10 and 2, to avoid the risk of misalignment.
That's all :)
Good info Gentle but I have to correct point

3: true for ETA 7750 but not for A7750 (the Chinese actually made a design improvement on the Swiss version). So you can set the date whenever you want.

4: Not true. When the chrono is running the reset lever is disengaged so you can push on it as much as you like. It will have 0 effect. As soon as you stop the movement the reset lever will be engaged and functions like it should. You are right on the chrono second hand position when resetting to avoid slippage.

• Like 1

Thanks Rolexman, always good to get a bit more knowledge.

About the date setting time anyway, I'm following it as a general rule: the problem may not be present in the a7750, but surely is in other calibers (like the 2824?), so I stick to it as a general rule in order not to take a watch, forget that it's not an a7750, set the date ad destroy it (like I did with my very 1st "el cheapo" rep) :)

• Like 1

I've got a Lemania rep where if you reset the chrono anywhere between 1 and 29.5 seconds, the large second chrono hand doesn't quite reset to zero. Reset it between 30.5 and 59 seconds and it resets the other way and does reset to zero.

The reset hammer isn't quite big enough I think :)