When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What to do?

436NR

I visited my local AD to get a birthday gift for the Mrs. yesterday. And there in the clearance window is a Breitling Seawolf "Code Orange" Blacksteel Limited edition. It's No. 7/1000. He hooked me with a 40% markdown on it. The SOB has now messed my mind up. I'm struggling with "good Lord, I can't pass a deal like that up" and "be responsible, you don't need another Gen right now"!

So, I decided to reach out to like-minded addicts for advice! What do you guys think?

The time you spent coming on here to post this, could have been spent taking the credit card out of your wallet and paying for it, which is what I would have done for a 40% mark down watch I like. ;)

Thanks gang! Some great points of view.

I think fraggle nailed it for me. I'm a big Breitling fan, but this one is not on my list and I can't say that I'm in love with it. It would simply be an impulse buy based on markdown. It's a beautiful piece with some awesome features. I can't say that I'll be using the chrono at 1000m even though it's the only watch capable of doing that (very cool). If I did get it, it would be for future value because it's a low numbered LE.

Thanks again for the input guys!

• Like 1

Is it good value for money? Errrrr no! Gens are not good value, when compared to a good rep. However if the pull of a gen is strong then the price is good. However, if it's not in your top 3 then move along swiftly.

• Like 1

Hmm, I'm not sure I would say reps are good value for money. You can sell gens to anyone, anywhere and you don't have to worry that eBay or whoever will pull the sale.

Reps have a very limited market, these forums (discounting those who try to rip people off)

Hmm, I'm not sure I would say reps are good value for money. You can sell gens to anyone, anywhere and you don't have to worry that eBay or whoever will pull the sale.

Reps have a very limited market, these forums (discounting those who try to rip people off)

Depends on how you 'value' things. With a rep you don't need to tie up the same amount of money that you do with a gen. If a rep costs 10% the price of a gen and gives 90% the pleasure then I'd say it's good value. Also, I'd rather lose 20% of the value of a rep than 5% of the gen when it comes to selling them. Each to their own I say - I own both rep and gens.

If I may include my opinion in this thread 436NR,

It is all about price- and value. Now, many only see the "price", how much you strain your credit card. But the value, in my opinion is more important. How much is it worth, to you? Disregarding if gen or rep, I agree with kernow that the true value to you is most important. One man's fortune is another man's trash, right?

If i see a watch I (like) on discount, and that actually is quite rare in my case, I simply ask myself one thing. "Would I have wanted to buy this watch, even when it would not have been discounted?"

In my case, 100% of the times I confronted myself with this question, the answer was no. But thats me.

• Like 1