When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone interested in having something machined ( Milled ) in the UK

APguy1

Hi fellas,

I've come to the conclusion that I want to start making some parts on a milling machine but I do not own one at the moment hence this thread. I've got over 500 hours using a milling machine and have covered all forms of milling such as the following:

Climb Milling

Conventional Milling

Rotary Table

Deviding Head ( Indexed )

Face Milling

End Milling

Universal Vice milling

Horizontal milling (-45-+45 Deg)

I plan on using it to make model boat parts but I would like to offer a service to you the members. I know that people have always struggled with the AP internal Bezel Screws and I could easily make and sell a few of those if it was an interest to you'll.

Also I could machine case parts down to size for say an AP. shave the Case back etc..

So the purpose of this thread is if anyone has any ideas on what I could make for them put it in a post below.

I plan on getting a Mini Milling machine and converting it to a 3 Axis CNC ( Computer Numerical Control ) milling machine. Simple conversion but it depends on weather it is worth doing if I will be manufacturing the same part over and over again. I do have a CAM program ( Computer Aided Manufacture ) I use at work so I would not have to manually enter the G codes :D

I've got a full Solidworks 2014 professional CAD System ( Computer Aided Design ) also if any one would like something prototyping and machining at a later stage.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Members who undertake AP franken projects for sure will be keen on your services. RWI forum has a very active Rep AP section.

I think there would also be serious interest for parts such as high quality screws. Presently, rep screws are being sold by TDs for $15. And these are for low quality butter soft screws.

Definitely, a nice hobby income to be had if you can fulfil this gap.

I bought a mini CNC machine a few years ago. Came with ancient CAD/CAM software.

Just upgraded the main motor to a nice direct drive DC, and bought upgraded stepper motors + controllers + PSUs for it.

Looked into the cost of new CAD/CAM software and decent stuff is a lot of money :(

I was thinking of making my own pocket watch case or something and get a Mini lathe too. Convert that to CNC and I'm off :D 

One concern is when you use a CNC machine in industry the tools are pre set in the tool holder so the tool is extended a certain amount so the machine know how far to move before the tool is in contact with the material. 

When changing the tool in the machine I'm getting, it uses a collet chuck which every time you change a tool it will stick out at different lengths every time. Unless there is a stop that the tool hits against ?  

In the program it tells you the length of the end of the tool from the Arbor for each tool number. 

The new motor drivers and the controller are compatible with the old way of driving them via a parallel port, which is what my old software uses.

The software is an ancient version of Mach (V2 I think - it's a DOS program) which I feed with the G code generated by a plugin to an equally ancient version of Autocad.

It works, but is very basic and I have to do a lot of work in Autocad to get the simple 3D objects I want, plus usually quite a bit of hand editing the G code to optimise it.

The motors, drivers and simple controller I've just got cost £300, and I'm thinking of getting a Planet CNC controller

http://www.planet-cnc.com/

The software that comes with that controller looks nice, and it can import a lot of other formats beside basic G-code (and as the controller is an intelligent one with it's own microcontroller, you can just feed G-code straight to it)

That'll leave me with the CAD software to choose and buy. There's loads of those about, so I think it'll be rather problematic finding one that's good and within my price range.

To sort out the differing tool depth offsets I've seen videos of CNC machines where they have a small microswitch mounted somewhere that, when a tool has been changed, they tell the controller to measure the tool depth offset and it drives the tool so that it's above the microswitch and then it lowers it until the switch is switched and the controller (or PC software) then knows the tool depth offset. A lovely and simple idea :)

They also do cool things like mount a video camera on the tool holder mount and use the video image to record the position of two known points on the work piece. The controller software can then rotate the program so that it will work perfectly even if the work piece is rotated to any angle - very cool! :)

Yes the camera to zero the XY on the spindle is a great idea. It is usually used on the cheaper versions of the more industrial CNC Lathes.

I plan on setting a vice permanently to the machine table and set a reference datum point from the left hand corner of the fixed Jaw. Then use a stock stop on the left hand side so I can put in stock material in the same place every time I cycle the program. The scary thing when you start the machine and it rapids to 1 mm above the Z0 it looks like it's going to self destruct !!

Here is a pic of where I learnt CNC Programing:

49cff72ea538bce1b451849e0a95d9fe.jpg1e175013e814c5ac902453c837a122e5.jpg

And this is the boat I plan on building with the Mill. Not the wooden bits that is in a kit pre CNC cut:

85eac76cc435be49d0a0d6decb243d09.jpg

3e391e4cf798e295bc23ab7273a17c38.jpg

7b9a55d768d88510a06d45c16abec4d4.jpg

It seems there is certainly knowledge and expertise with Op.

To make this work, I think you need to nail down the business/commercial side of your activity.

Members like/want to see photos of their work, updates and set of terms and conditions of business. Clear requirements to be established IMO.

Things going wrong can be real costly for sure.

Many new TD offering watch smith , modding have failed due this aspect.

Good luck.

Thanks fellas, I've had experience working for members on other boards (watchmaking) some thing have gone wrong and have been resolved by me covering the costs but I've also had many things go right and people are delighted with my work. When you have been machining for as long as I have you get something called a "Micron Eye" :D ( can judge when something is perfect ) I've done parts on prototype Aston martian and Bentley cars all seems to work and hold up ok.

All in all this project has cost me just over £1000.

The machine is being delivered on this Friday. The machine tools like the rotary table and mill collet chuck will arrive within that time also :D I'll post some pictures of where the machine is going to go and the set up etc..

I'm really excited about this project now. It's all coming together smoothly with lots of interest :)

Cheers,