When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1665 from Puretime (movement 2846)

ProMariner

Hi guys, i have placed an order on PT for a 1665 comex dial (Pisani dial which is the original dial) equipped with the 2846 low beat ETA movement.

I have read that the case doesn't use a gen like crystal assemble, actually the crystal isn't stuck into the case with a metal retainer ring as on the gen or cartels but with a plastic ring.

I plan to install a clark t39 dome acrylic crystal on it (not the super dome as I don't like it) and I was wondering if the crystals will fit ? I would like also to find an alternative to replace the plastic crystal gasket or retainer ring don't know how to call it, so I was wondering also if an aftermarket or gen one will fit on the case with the clark crystal ?

I know there's a bunch of Rolex vintage experts put there, thank you for your help !

I have fitted quite a few crystals on 5512/13/1680 replicas supposed to be 'oem spec' and almost always end up trying crystals from 3 or 4 different suppliers before getting a proper fit. The crystal retainer bezels from ST and Clark are usually pretty close to oem spec so most of the trouble is the crystal. I have used Clark 19 on a couple MBK projects with good luck but had to cut a hair out of the id of the crystal retainer bezel on one using a ST/Clark bezel kit (ST and Clark bezel kits are identical). On the last one I used a GS PA 462-66 and it worked Ok.

What this all boils down to is that many (if not most) of these projects do not go together without some machine work or parts swapping.

Something else...aftmkt crystals claimed to be 'oem spec' usually are not exactly 'oem spec' at all. Some are very close but others are not so I sometimes end up using an 'out of spec' crystal because it is a closer fit with an 'out of spec' case or bezel.

No MBW and PT are completely different.

Email angus before you order. He hasn't had any vintage subs and sd in stock all summer. Last I checked, they were still unsure when and if they'd ever be back in stock.

I went with a cartel 1680(in a 5512 case). It took a Clark plexi but I did have to mod the crystal retaining ring to get a good fit.

No MBW and PT are completely different.

Email angus before you order. He hasn't had any vintage subs and sd in stock all summer. Last I checked, they were still unsure when and if they'd ever be back in stock.

I went with a cartel 1680(in a 5512 case). It took a Clark plexi but I did have to mod the crystal retaining ring to get a good fit.

I unfortunately already made the payment I hope the watch is in stock .. :/