When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What scotch pads do i need

coffindodger

Hi lads,

Im looking to give a couple of my watch bracelets a brushing.I have seen people talking about scotch pads but i,m not sure what i need.

Can some body point me in the right direction on the 1,s i need.

o yeh and a quick guide on how to use them on my rolex bracelets will help

Thanks fellow members.

CD

what grade are they or is there only 1 grade?

i am uk so presume asda or tesco ect will have them!

The grade is on the label, '000'. This product looks like a synthetic steel wool which is important to use synthetic steel wool since steel rusts and you wouldn't want to leave any steel particles behind on your SS bracelet to rust. Steel wool is typically graded (in the US at least) from 0000 to 0 with 0000 being the finest/softest.

Those grey 000 pads work great. I usually start with a course pad then use these to finish.

Sent from my droptop using telepathy.

I got the info on those from a web site that specialized in repair and refinishing Rolex watches and he said the same thing. Since i usually don't get any deep scratches I just use the 000, which is supposedly closest to the actual Rolex finish.

so you then rub the bracelet along the length rather than holding both and rubbing?

going to shops today and will pick some up if i see any. I have an old beater for practise 1st

I use heavy duty green Scotch-Brite scour pads from the grocery store, aka 'pot scrubbers'. Just be sure to rub the pad straight across the bracelet to make an even grain and keep the pads away from crystals, inserts etc.

Also have a buff wheel similar to the 6085 above on a 1/2 hp 1725 rpm electric motor for rough bracelets etc.

A buff wheel on an electric motor is the way to go if you do a lot of refinishing. I get buff wheels at a machine tool supply store for about one fourth the Bergeon price. They are used to remove rust from sheet metal and come in different grades.

Bergeon is Swahili for 'your money is gone'.   :pimp:

• Like 1

Should not be plated Dave! I just brushed my old tissot t-touch that did have a brushed look but I had cape coded it and it was like a breitling Navitimer bracelet all shinny. Now it's all brushed like it was when I got it well nearly! I think it needs a wipe with a cape cod to get the light shine or am I wrong?

You can get it back. Try the green course pads to take out the gouges from the sandpaper.

I have converted polished mid links to brushed using the green scotch bright course pads then the grey to finish. Worked great. I did one by hand and one with a dremel with wheels like the pads. Going from course to fine. Dremel worked the best for this. In the end final finish work needed to be done by hand though to keep grain straight.

Sent from my droptop using telepathy.

Sorry, I forgot I replied to this thread. I couldn't find any scotch pads locally so I bought a couple of different grades of wire wool, I used the finest and worked up to the course to make to polished links matt. I then used 1200 grit paper to get the brushed finish, it's actually turned out OK, it'll need another pass as I struggled getting in between the links properly.

It looks far better than it did though. Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalksSic