When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex identification

dbane883

I have the "100 years of Rolex" app and looking at the reference 6298, it only shows it as S/S with two dial options regular and Explorer. Possibly someone had this case plated sometimes back in the past? I believe this reference is from the 50's, so it's probably around 60 years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has the correct blue second sweep but not familiar with the Explorers at all.. Most of the engraviings are rubbed off but can read partial serial putting it around '54.  Caseback i discovered later is stamped 6298..   looks to be a gen movement..

It was at a watchsmiths shop and he asked me what I thought and how much it's worth.    The dial is relatively fresh right around the coronet and indicies, but faded everywhere else leading me to beleive it was artificially aged or someone wiped it in the past with a dirty rag.   

Movement is not working and needs a complete overhaul.   

The plating is very thick.. I guess it would be considered "gold-filled"?   Its a mystery

I was able to Google Rolex 6298 and saw one Gold that was for sale on Chrono24. They did not say if it was solid gold, plated, capped, etc. this is a very interesting watch. Nice examples in S/S are selling for upwards of 10k. Don't think this one is close to that, but it's still worth a good bit of money.

What is the asking price?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I probably wouldn't pay that much considering the dial is not pristine, the case has plating problems and the movement is not working. Can your watchsmith even find parts for that old movement? That one even precedes the 1030, and we know how hard it is to find parts for that one!!

hey guys, I wanted to buy the best possible Rolex Explorer out there, and I found this one:

http://intime.co/product.php?id_product=1459

You think its a great watch? I just want it too LOOK as genuine as possible! so please help!

Why don't you post this as a separate thread? It's not polite to jump in the middle of someone else's thread. There are tons of threads about Explorers, spend some time reading and researching the various options.

The A296 is one of the worst movements rolex ever made...auto assembly trouble out the wazoo.

This watch is way below average in appearance and they were not really considered to be 'explorers' anyway, they just have the name on the dial. These watches never sold for much $$ until vintage rolex went crazy and 'collectors' started buying everything in sight.