When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Daytona Details

Kime

I read many threads last night, one epic 10k build (wow) but still didn't really get the answers for these questions... (I am lightly modding a cartel 6265)

1. What is the correct crown for a 6265 (702 or 703)

2. Does the cartel case have a compatible tube for a gen crown or does it need to be replaced

3. Are these taps correct for a gen crown and pushers?

7020 tube M3 x 0.35

B24 P302 Pusher M2.5 x 0.25

4. What is the Spring bar diameter (body and pin) for a Daytona gen 19mm bars? (I assume 2mm sub type bars are not correct?)

5. What is the correct drill bit diam for Daytona spring bars lug holes 1.2mm?

6. Is a Clarks T21 plexi far superior to the cartel?

Thanks for any help guys!

I'll answer the ones I know for sure:

1. For a 6265, 700/702/703 are all period-correct, depending on the year.  703 is the most common by far. 
4. 1.8mm body, 0.9mm pivots.  The gen Daytona bars are flangeless, double-shouldered.
5. No.  Daytona lug holes are smaller than Sub/Explorer holes i.e. <1mm.

1. 702 crown and tube were in use until around 1980. 703 came after that

2. Best to just replace the cartel tube

3. Tap sizes are correct- but you may have to watch the pushers that you use- some use the 2.5mm x .20 thread pitch

4-5. I don't know but I'd figure they're similar to the 19mm Date/etc. spring bars and lugholes.were certainly smaller than the subs and GMT- moire like the 20mm Datejust

6. Clarks, G-S and Sternkruz crystals would all be good 

Thanks guys, the differences listed here on 702/203 is why I was getting confused. I am going to go with 703, which brings another question, is the tap the same?

Bars: thanks lhooq, Ofrei has these, they seem to follow what you said... "Double shoulder type body length is 18.6 mm and diameter is 1.8 mm with pivot diameter 0.88 that are 2.0 mm long"

After measuring, the cartel appears to come with these same size bars (1.8/0.9) and a rough measurement of the lug holes comes back with 1.1mm. So maybe just a redrill to get the edges of the holes a bit sharper.

I bought a tool for removing tubes on ebay- it had 3-4 ends which you put in the handle and could then turn the tube out. It's an AF tool and I don't know how you'd ever find it again- this was 6-7 years ago.

Rat tail files are good- just jam them in there and turn counterclockwise to remove a tube. Sometimes heat will help- it'll melt epoxy and other types of glue.

Ofrei sells a tube wrench for installing the modern Rolex tubes- this is a handy tool to have for installing the 703 tube.

The 3.0mm x .35 tap is also a good tool for cleaning the threads in the case before installing a new tube.

I've even broke the rat tail file off removing the tube from my PT 1665. But after that, installing a gen-like aftermarket 703 tube was easy!

P1000261-1.jpg

The wrench I have is made for the 703 gen tubes.

If I'm extracting a rep tube, it will be tossed out.

Extracting a gen 702/700 requires a file like this because it has no splines (gen 702/700 tubes are broached smooth after installation). Either a triangular file or vice grip. I choose the file.