When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen 6263 sold at record price yesterday (660KUSD)

Nine

These insane prices illustrate to me over and over, how much money is floating around in the world today. There is so much wealth today, folks act like they are spending Monopoly money instead of real cash!  It's crazy. When you spend 660K or 1 mil for a watch, I believe that you seriously need to have your head examined! Of course I have never ever even been close to that sort of wealth, so who knows, If I were a billionaire, maybe I would be right in the middle of the bidding.

• Like 1

These insane prices illustrate to me over and over, how much money is floating around in the world today. There is so much wealth today, folks act like they are spending Monopoly money instead of real cash! It's crazy. When you spend 660K or 1 mil for a watch, I believe that you seriously need to have your head examined! Of course I have never ever even been close to that sort of wealth, so who knows, If I were a billionaire, maybe I would be right in the middle of the bidding.

Or buying PureTime so you can have ALL cool new reps first

Some YoYo gave $660k for a watch that sold new for a few hundred bucks...and can be duplicated for a few thousand bucks today?

Insane.

He better sell it while they are hot. It might not bring $10k in a few years. Might even end up trading it for a couple Big Macs.

What if...

You lost it down a gopher hole.

Got mugged.

Forgot where you left it (on a hooker's bedside table).

Got it caught between the starter hot wire and frame of your Hot Rod '34 Ford (happened to a friend of mine).

A turkey buzzard flew away with it.

It fell off your arm in deep water while on a row boat ride.

etc, etc.

An American tourist in England on a row boat ride dropped both paddles in the water.

He floated around a couple hours and finally a tweedy Englishman comes by in a row boat with two young lady passengers.

The American shouts:

"Pardon me sir, may I borrow one of your oars?"

The Englishman shouts back:

"I'll have you know these two ladies are my sisters."

Idk.. I mean. Having a Picasso poster on my wall is a little different than having the actual painting. Watches are art you can wear IMO and a lot of people think of them that way.

The type of people who spend this kind of money on a watch are the same kind of people who play baccarat at 100k a hand. They bet a 100k like I bet $10. So if you think in that range, this price to the owner is probably what a $600 TC is to is normal folk.

Is it crazy? Yes.

Would I do it if I had that kind of money? Damn straight.

To people who have millions or even billions, buying a 600k watch is like buying a $300 wath to us. I'm sure he could do a lot of good with that money and for all we know, he donates a ton of money to charity.

• Like 2

To people who have millions or even billions, buying a 600k watch is like buying a $300 wath to us. I'm sure he could do a lot of good with that money and for all we know, he donates a ton of money to charity.

I agree. And even if he gave exactly zero to charity, it's his pile and I'll be damned if I tell him how he should spend it.

I love the fact that I wear reps that cost a fraction of the gen but are visually virtually indistinguishable. I always tell people they are reps and I love the look of amazement  when somebody who knows watches can't find a tell. Often it prompts a conversation about the whole concept of 'fakery'. Orson Welles made a film about it so I'm in good company  :)