When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Times have changed...

automatico

I have said this before but it might steer a new guy down another path and save them a lot of time and money...

After putting a few Frankensteins together using genuine rolex 15xx movements I have come to the conclusion that it is simply not worth the trouble and expense.

Why?

Because:

1...rolex movements cost too much today

2...parts are few and far between and cost too much

3...the movements are not rugged enough to live very long if the wearer is rough on watches aka "Raised on Quartz"

4...btw, 30xx and 31xx movements are not much better

I can put a watch on with an Eta movement and not worry about it but any watch with a rolex movement in it worries me to no end. I know many can say they have not had any trouble with genuine rolex movements but I can not. I have had a hell of a lot of trouble with them in the past 40 years. Not too bad when you could buy parts from supply houses but much different today when you have to bid against 20

people needing the same part on eBay.

The downside for me is now I have a few movements left without cases so I am in the process of buying a genuine case now and then for the movements. I have been on the lookout for 1002 etc cases to make 34mm "explorers" but they cost too much or have a big dose of corrosion.

You can get by selling a watch with a "refinished" dial but not with a replica case.

So...what am I saying?

Think long and hard before putting a genuine rolex movement in a Frankenstein watch.

Etas are better and cheaper for this type of project.

• Like 2

Honestly I have to agree. The 1570 in my Datejust has been sucking lately and finally went ka-boing... I am ambivalent at best about the 1520 going into my franken 5513. 

The ETA movements, particularly in chronometer grade I would put up against almost anything. That's why they are used in part as a base for so many high-end workhorse movements from other "manufactures."

I would not hesitate to yank the 1520 in a few months and replace it with a solid workhorse 2824 chronometer grade movement if it doesn't perform to expectation. 

Sadly, as I talked recently to a watchmaker and watchparts seller (reputable shop in Germany), he said from 2016, Eta would cut sales channels outside the Swatch Group!

Would be interesting if someone with solid connection would confirm this.

But even so there are alternatives, Sellita, Asian Clones ... old donor watches.

Well it really depends if you're using a gen dial or not. If you have a gen meters first 5513 dial, it's crazy talk to cut the feet and slap it on an ETA. Completely destroying its value. You gotta preserve the feet and use a gen cal 15xx. You could always sell the dial and movement for close to what you paid.

If it's a rep dial, yes, no point using a gen movement (eg TC).

Sadly, as I talked recently to a watchmaker and watchparts seller (reputable shop in Germany), he said from 2016, Eta would cut sales channels outside the Swatch Group!

But even so there are alternatives, Sellita, Asian Clones ... old donor watches.

They've been threatening this for years, but it will happen.

it will happen, but I first heard this more than 10 years ago.

My thoughts exactly. Oh and don't forget Rolex use eta movements in Tudors, so is an eta a rolex movement or not?

No. ETA is not a Rolex movement. Rolex Watch Co was not a Rolex movement either, until recent acquisition and consolidation. RWC was the renamed Aegler, which made movements for Rolex and Gruen until Wilsdorf invested a significant amount of money in them to convince them to produce movements exclusively for Rolex, hence the name change.

Cases have not always been Rolex either. A L Dennison was an early supplier, and Borgel was the producer of water resistant cases prior to theirs being used in 1922 by Rolex. The first Oyster cases were made in 1926 by C R Spillman SA.

• Like 2

And for the record, anyone who doesn't like their crappy old A2xx, 4xx, 5xx, 6xx, 7xx, 10xx, 11xx, 15xx, 20xx, 21xx, 22xx, 30xx, 31xx, 40xx, 41xx & 65xx Aegler/RWC movements, I'll be glad to pay postage to get them out of your hair, in any condition, just to help put you at ease.

And for the record, anyone who doesn't like their crappy old A2xx, 4xx, 5xx, 6xx, 7xx, 10xx, 11xx, 15xx, 20xx, 21xx, 22xx, 30xx, 31xx, 40xx, 41xx & 65xx Aegler/RWC movements, I'll be glad to pay postage to get them out of your hair, in any condition, just to help put you at ease.

You sir, are a gracious gentleman!! 

No. ETA is not a Rolex movement. Rolex Watch Co was not a Rolex movement either, until recent acquisition and consolidation. RWC was the renamed Aegler, which made movements for Rolex and Gruen until Wilsdorf invested a significant amount of money in them to convince them to produce movements exclusively for Rolex, hence the name change.

Cases have not always been Rolex either. A L Dennison was an early supplier, and Borgel was the producer of water resistant cases prior to theirs being used in 1922 by Rolex. The first Oyster cases were made in 1926 by C R Spillman SA.

Absolutely true. What I was highlighting - and your informative post confirms this - is that the whole idea of what is Rolex or not is ridiculous when they use movements and cases that they have not manufactured and merely stamped their name on. The V72 is a classic example. Ok so Rolex tweeked it a bit but does that make it a Rolex product? No, oh sorry, yes - because it says Rolex on a bridge. 

I read a recent article in Europa Star about Eta supplying movements to outsiders and iirc it was around 2020 before they completely stop. Between now and then they cut a little off each year, now it is around 75 percent of what it was a few years ago

What many outsiders are really worried about is the supply of escapments because Eta aka Swatch aka FAR etc supplies about 90 percent of the whole industry. This will slow the Swiss clone makers down to a crawl unless someone steps up and goes into the escapement business in a big way.

Meanwhile there are enough Eta movements laying around to keep us hobby guys happy for 20 years...but the prices are creeping up.

As for 1030 rolex, iirc they are a lost cause and will soon be followed by 15xx movements when the supply of new parts dwindles down to nothing and donor watches and movements rise in price.

Twenty years ago I could buy a nice AK or OPD for $700. Now they are $1500 or more.

Ten years ago I could find a good 1570 or 1575 movement for $700. Now they are over $1000 and many are made up using discarded repair parts.

I agree on valuable dials, I would not cut dial feet off and would use a genuine rolex movement.

Absolutely true. What I was highlighting - and your informative post confirms this - is that the whole idea of what is Rolex or not is ridiculous when they use movements and cases that they have not manufactured and merely stamped their name on. The V72 is a classic example. Ok so Rolex tweeked it a bit but does that make it a Rolex product? No, oh sorry, yes - because it says Rolex on a bridge.

You'll note that the 72 was a true ébauche use by ROLEX. Not only are the balance different, but the unworked plate & bridges were finished and marked by ROLEX, and the wheels used by ROLEX are not simple brass, note the color differences on a genuine 72X.