When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Lume

IAN2109

Hi everyone,

I recently received my 1016 back from Rolojack http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/175426-rolex-explorer-1016-the-best-ever/?hl=1016

I fitted a great cost effective folded link bracelet from Josh

I will do a post about the overall build when it's finished but wanted to ask about vintage lume.

I am awaiting a matte Whoopy dial and then want to re lume

What colour should it be? Not sure if it should be white/ green. Should any particular re lume material be use? Should the lume be bright/ soft? I am trying to rep a mid to late 60's 1016.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Today, that mid to late 60's 1016 wouldn't have much if any glow left to it. The tritium would have faded.

Out in the wild, most tritium dials of that era would have some sort of patina on them, so I wouldn't go with a pure white re-lume. Do a Google search and find a dial you like the looks of and get the dial/hands done to match it. How far you go is a matter of personal taste.

I didn't go too far on mine, which is also a Whoopy dial. PBdad did the lume.

pic1_zps2916c6fa.png

Today, that mid to late 60's 1016 wouldn't have much if any glow left to it. The tritium would have faded.

Out in the wild, most tritium dials of that era would have some sort of patina on them, so I wouldn't go with a pure white re-lume. Do a Google search and find a dial you like the looks of and get the dial/hands done to match it. How far you go is a matter of personal taste.

Ditto.