When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Complete noob question

qertadfg

I apologize in advance. I know this question is asked all the time, and I've used the search function to get as much info as I can. I've been reading for a couple of weeks now.

The problem I'm running into is this: I feel like, from what I've read, the rep market is changing relatively quickly. A lot of the posts I've read are from the last decade, but it seems like the market is making much better replicas than even a few years ago. 

My question, basically, is this: if I wanted to find the most visually perfect (I know I'm not going to find 1:1) off-the-shelf replica Submariner, where should I look? 

I'm going to be supportive as you are a VIP member and have contributed to this forum.

Right now, there is one maker that stands out from the rest. That is TC Submariner. There is a section in the reputable dealer area that has this contact details.

TC Sub:

The pros:

• It is genuine specification so genuine rolex submariner parts will fit (i.e., the external parts like insert, crown, crystal)
  • It is pretty much plug and play and it is the best submariner out of the box at the moment
  • TC puts the watch together for you personally so QC is there also

The cons:

• Expensive - at around $550 plus shipping, it isn't a cheap replica but the quality and the fact that is so close to the genuine piece makes it special
  • TC can be slow at responding. He is inundated with orders so can be slower in turnaround replies and the purchase to receiving can take up to 5-6 weeks as he needs to put it together for you

The MBW (or variants of it):

• More or less a prequel to the TC. It also accept genuine parts (the original man behind this was BK - believe he still has a section in the sellers area) but believe he doesn't sell anymore. However, you can find these from members selling them from time to time. Generally cheaper than the TC but may be around the same price given most members have upgraded it with gen parts at some stage.

The noobmariner:

• One of the old school versions that can still be found from time to time from member selling them. They were cheap (around $120 a pop), doesn't accept genuine parts but for what it was worth, still great quality and a great daily beater. The serial starts with a "F"

The TW version:

• Recently got my hands on one of these. Similar to noobmariner but from different maker. Doesn't really accept genuine parts but a decent daily beater too. Serial starts with "D"

After these above 4, there are still dealers selling the 16610 classic but many have flaws. Personally, I have seen the Trusty Watch version in the flesh and its not great. Aside from the decent pearl, the wok effect is strong and the doesn't accept genuine parts. I havent bought others but would avoid the cheaper dealers as their stocks are not great either.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

My question, basically, is this: if I wanted to find the most visually perfect (I know I'm not going to find 1:1) off-the-shelf replica Submariner, where should I look? 

The answer is 2-fold, but relatively simple - go to your local authorized Rolex dealer (AD) & familiarize yourself with the genuine (gen) Sub you are interested in. Try it on, work the functions, view it in the light on your wrist. Once you have isolated the specific Sub model you want, search the gen sites for pics & stats on the gen. Then, peruse the rep sellers' listings to locate the rep that contains the least amount of inaccuracies (all reps have inaccuracies) that bother YOU.

They all have inaccuracies. Some of them can be eliminated by modding with genuine parts, some of these will not take genuine parts (Believe me, I have learned all these lessons the hard way, I have a parts chest full of stuff that was taken off reps to be replaced by better or genuine parts. The sub game has gotten better with more accurate models of late, but as Freddy said, the best bet is to go to and AD, and try on some that you like. You may find that a particular watch that you really admired in  a photo  when seen and worn, really doesn't turn you on. Try to narrow your choices down to the model you like the best, then find it here and see what others think about it. AFA the inaccuracies, the only way to eliminate them 100% is to buy a gen. There is no such thing as a 1:1 Submariner, or for that matter any replica watch. A lot of them approach perfection, but usually only after spending a bunch of money modding them, and even with that they will not be 100%. When you look at gens, and then reps, try to pick out the inaccuracies  in the reps, and then try to chose one that has the fewest discrepancies that you can live with .  

Then after years go to Gen forum to find the "is this a rep section" and test your skill with the gen boys at picking them out. Crap I did and was a 100% on Breitlings of all things not my area at all :unknw: , in truth they have crappy ones for the most part some of our stuff they would buy up in a heart beat. They are lucky we are so anal about not selling reps as gen. :nono:

• Like 1

I apologize in advance. I know this question is asked all the time, and I've used the search function to get as much info as I can. I've been reading for a couple of weeks now.

The problem I'm running into is this: I feel like, from what I've read, the rep market is changing relatively quickly. A lot of the posts I've read are from the last decade, but it seems like the market is making much better replicas than even a few years ago.

It goes to show how friendly this forum is when you get a wealth of info. as opposed to nasty remarks that you would be likely to get on other lesser forums. I would go for TC sub myself, but as some people have pointed out on here already, familiarise yourself first before pulling the trigger. Edited by gemballa