When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ladies tag Quartz movement problem

tframo

Don't think twice about it, find out what calibre movement is in there, buy one new (Cousins/Offrei etc) take it to a competent watchmaker and have them transplant the movement.

I done this just before Christmas with a Tag F1 Chronograph. The movement  (Ronda 5021D) cost me £27 brand new. The movement will set you back peanuts and the swap is easy.

Honestly, don't worry about fix's, just replace the movement and enjoy many more trouble free years.

Good luck ;)

My wife has one almost identical to that one. IS that what we need to look forward to!! :) I agree with ceejay, all the watch parts houses sell these movements, Ofrei, Startime, etc.. Much cheaper and easier to just replace the movement. It could possibly be repaired, but if you take it to a good watchsmith, I bet he would suggest that you replace the movement. I was going to suggest getting it fixed, all shined up and giving her back her watch and a big bouquet of Roses on Mothers Day, but it's over two months away, so maybe a bad idea to wait that long!!

could be the battery, some watches need very specific batteries to function correctly, buy the exact quoted battery in the manual not some "generic equivalent" from sears. a lot of seikos are this way, the second hand wont fuction correctly without the right battery, had the same problem with a seiko.

I doubt it needs a specific battery. I have a tag (4000) from that era and have swapped it out with Duracell ones a few times with zero issues.

Is the battery in correctly? They kinda snap in place but they also have a little cage thing that goes over it to keep it in place. It can come off while you screw the case back in.

Check all that and If that doesn't work, the new movement idea will prob be the cheapest route.

DO NOT replace the movement! At least not yet.

Many quartz movements require a "reset" to be performed after battery replacement. Usually involves shorting the + side of the battery to a terminal marked with "+" on the back side of the movement. Once you do this the movement should restart.

If it was stuttering it was telling you it had low voltage from the battery, indicating that it was time to replace it. Based on this I doubt the movement also needs replacing. I would bet it just needs a reset. If you can pull off the movement model number and show a picture I am sure we can get it going.