When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 6200 project started

cc33

The only nicer insert than that one would be a pristine original red triangle piece.  Better be ready to cough up a large 4-digits sum for it too.

:notworthy:  All Hail the Kissing Four

• Like 1

Sort of a new thought here - have you seen any of the radium dials with the white 6 o'clock marker? I have a couple of articles bookmarked on Hodinkee and another vintage site where they discuss some of these early sub dials and how Rolex made the 6 o'clock marker white to denote that it was a radium dial. Seeing these incredible builds got me thinking about the Voldemort dials. As a buyer, can you ask him to craft a dial in a particular fashion, or does he just recreate/refinish it based on how that particular one would have been?

It's mostly based on the dial variations that he has full scans of, once the dial is chosen the shade of lume is discussed.. So yes if I wanted to I could have the 6pm marker done a few shades lighter then the rest. I found that some gens do have this feature and some don't, I have no idea why this was done on some and not others and so for that reason I've never bothered to do have it done. It was very prevalent on 5510 dials, I suppose if I were to make one of those I'd be inclined to do that.

It's mostly based on the dial variations that he has full scans of, once the dial is chosen the shade of lume is discussed.. So yes if I wanted to I could have the 6pm marker done a few shades lighter then the rest. I found that some gens do have this feature and some don't, I have no idea why this was done on some and not others and so for that reason I've never bothered to do have it done. It was very prevalent on 5510 dials, I suppose if I were to make one of those I'd be inclined to do that.

Great point. Now that I think about it, the pics I have are indeed of 5510s. That might be a fun thing to try on a budget build, where the stakes are so low.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

I recently put up this case-set for sale after having purchased it from CC33.    I have not had worked on many projects in the last few years.  Who currently is the best dial-maker?  I’ve seen a couple on Phong’s site.  Any one else?

Thanks