When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need Franken Gold Presidential

Thegxdd

Please someone point me in the right direction , mymanmatt won't sell to me So I'm pretty much at square 1 , someone...

Hi there,

I see a few options for you.  Buy some watches and contribute some posts to build up your profile so folks will be more likely to deal with you and get the DD down the road after you have established yourself.  

If you are set on a franken Day Date, search all the rep forums sales areas frequently looking for a member to member sale of a mymanmatt build or similar.  They do come up from time to time.  I sold one a few months ago.  Just for reference nice DD builds are generally 1K+. Although you may run into the same problem M2M with folks being leary because you are new.  

Try and connect with some of the senior members here and get one of them to vouch for you.  

One of the issues you are running into is that people have filed Pay Pal disputes against members and kept the watch and the money, so many of us are less likely to deal with people we do not know or have not dealt with in the past.  

I wonder if you offered to pay Matt by check or Western Union, if he might agree to build a watch for you. I know he had a recent issue with a scammer using paypal and if you paid by check or some other way, he'd avoid that paypal scenario.

Never offered Matt a check or western union even though western union would be safer than PayPal in his situation if he's worried about getting scammed, The safest form of payment I would be open to , I was ready to pay with PayPal , I'd even call PayPal on 3 way if he wanted , I understand people scam but it's unfair to me when I have real money to spend , I just need the watch and it's something I've been looking for , for years , I can sit and post pics of my reps but I've found the source so why waste time ?

Because this is a community. And if you want to be part of the community you need to contribute. With all due respect, if it's just dollars and cents to you, but from a TD, or save up the money to buy a gen. But if you want to learn about the watch you've been so desperately searching for, purchase one from one of the exceptionally talented senior members/modders here, then you should put some time in on the boards. MMM has every right to choose the buyers for his hard work, and there are more than enough customers for him to choose from, so suffice to say, messaging him with "gimme gimme gimme. Take my money!" probably won't get you the response you're looking for. Just my two cents..

• Like 1

I'm not going to speak for Matt, but I will give you my opinion. Matt like myself and a few others are a lot older than the majority of folks here. We are all pretty much "old school". Honesty and integrity are very highly valued traits. A verbal or handshake deal is and should be honored the same as one that is signed and witnessed in a lawyer's office. This is not to say that most of the younger guys have these same traits, because they do. But, there are folks who show up here who don't have these traits. look at the number of times on the sales forums, someone PN's you with and I"ll take it, send me your PayPal info" and then disappears. Same with these PayPal disputes. I think that Matt was blindsided by the guy who opened the PayPal dispute. Matt felt like he had been taken advantage of, and it hurt his feelings as well as royally pissed him off!! This was serious, and could have created really serious problems down the line for Matt. I would suspect that the guy who did this was someone who didn't have a long history on the forums and was not and established member. Matt took a chance and the guy burned him. I would suspect that Matt decided from that, only deal with folks that he knows and trusts. Matt has plenty if business so he has the luxury of being able to pick and choose who he deals with. That's his prerogative, and the way he does business. Offering to throw money at him probably won't work, however it wouldn't hurt to send him a PM and offer to pay him via Postal Money Order or WU. Just my 2 cents worth!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really appreciate that panerai and I wish he broke it down that way to me , I'm trying my best to establish myself in the forum ... Not to much I can do as he doesn't reply to my PMs but I don't want to keep throwing his name around if he chose not to deal with me it's something I have to deal with , really want this watch and hope someone can help though lol thanks RWG

Again, I won't speak for Matt. But sellers retain the right to choose their buyer. I will not sell to anyone I don't know, or who does not come personally recommended by someone I trust. Period.

I was just offered an eye watering amount of money for one of my vintage pieces and I'm pretty sure the guy is legitimate. But I'm not SURE so I said no. That's just the way it is.

Develop relationships here and get "known" so people have a way to gauge your integrity. Otherwise it's your word against another lost/stolen watch fiasco.

An idea I suggested to my buyer: find a local gold dealer and get his price for Krugerrands. See how many of those it takes to buy your target watch. Then buy the coins in the seller's home city for local pickup. When he has the coins in hand, he ships. Yes the buyer is accepting all the risk. If the seller is legitimate and has a high enough profile, the buyer still has some leverage toward a completed transaction.

Or buy a plane ticket and go get the thing face to face. Tickets are cheap.

• Like 1

B, you are absolutely correct in all aspects. If I were in the market for a really nice high end vintage or contemporary watch, but especially vintage, I would do exactly that. Get on a plane and meet the seller at a mutually agreeable spot. Then we get to "eyeball" each other, I get to hold and examine the watch and if we both agree, we make a deal, if not, I got an experience, and a few frequent flyer miles!! 

And to the OP, don't give up, keep looking and have patience!!