When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Big crown 5538 build

welderdick

Take it easy on me guys this is my first build posted on this forum. I consider myself more of a parts assembler than a true builder. So I wanted a big crown build but I decided to make it 100% non gen. since I had neither the budget nor the desire to to destroy expensive gen parts  with my fat fumble fingers so I started with  a HR 2  line guilt dial from Dazza and I added a 5538 case set from a mtm deal on another site.

I have been unable to find out much about the case , but it seems to be a pretty good one. I added gold merc. hands and bezel insert  from Raffles . I put it all together with a gen swiss eta 2834 that I robbed from my collection. I added a regimental stripe strap from HR to give it that James Bond look. All and all I am satisfied with the build the only thing I want to replace is the pearl  SOON .

skunnc.jpg

9sta1u.jpg

x5zg9j.jpg

141ih4o.jpg

That may well be a Tiger case with an Athaya v1 or tiger crown. Not silix based on the caseback engraving even though the bezel looks similar. It looks pretty damn good for a first effort, that will look great on the wrist !

Next job... athaya v2 or phong 8mm crown ! It makes a surprising difference to a budget build.

Definitely not a Tiger case I do not believe that will take a 29mm dial and there are engraving between the case lugs. Also the case is about 38mm across witch is smaller . My photography skills are not that great so the crown may not look  like it but it looks better to me than the Athaya ( I have an unused set in my parts box to compare it  with ).  It could be a Phong   however since I have never seen one in person. I know that the strap in the movie was 16mm I chose the 20mm just as an homage to the movie. Only James Bond could make a tool watch on a nylon strap look cool with a dinner jacket. I wear this watch almost every day and it keeps great time and looks great. The new pearl is on order.

The chapter ring itself measures 26mm in diameter. It fits the Tiger2 case quite well. Hard to see in my pic, but the 'SWISS' shows completely, not cut off at all.

attachicon.gifdial.JPG

That looks awesome. Maybe it was the V1 case then or the Raffles dials that were being used? It was a big conversation piece about a year or so ago, if I remember correctly.