When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

F*cked Up My Watch During Gen-tube Insertion

FlipLockBuckle

Hey,

I think I completely [censored]ed up my Submariner when trying to assemble a genuine Tube to it.

What i did first...I got a genuine Tube and a genuine Crown, and of course tried out if they fit together or not..they fitted perfectly and I could screw the Crown to the Tube.

Right...Then I countersank my case with a 4,9mm drill, i think ive overdone it a bit but okay.

Now there are two Problems...when screwing the Tub in it's not even, its higher on one side than on the other side...weird?!?!?

And the even BIGGER PROBLEM IS...after i screwed the tube in with a pair of pliers (claws) i cannot screw the Crown in anymore. I mean i can put it on the tube, but it does not screw in anymore..it just stayse loose.

Please help me, i paid so much money for the parts and i hope that you can help me fixing my watch.

I appreciate any answers...thank you!

for christmas present from me to u , since u have it uncased , send it to me and leave it alone so not to damage your crown and i will install u a brand new tube for christmas

i hate hearing those horror stories and it sounds u gave it your best and u tried hard, just email me or pm for details and i should be able to fix that up for u in a jiffy

merry christmas

joe

Ouch! It sounds like you may have cross threaded the tube into the case. And using a pair of pliers isn't the way to go. Try removing the tube using a rat tail file or a torx screwdriver (I'm guessing you don't have the proper tool for screwing the tube in/out). These go inside the tube and then turn counterclockwise to remove the tube. Also, I guess you didn't clean the inside threads of the case with the proper tap before screwing the tube in. If the crown won't screw down on the tube, you may be SOL. I would guess you've boogered up the threads on the tube. Maybe you can get by w/ another tube, but you also need to get someone to do it for you or get a few tools- at least the tap to clean the threads on the case and something to screw the tube in with- not pliers. You can find a set of taps at ofrei.com.

:thumbsupsmileyanim: Great people = Great forum!

for christmas present from me to u , since u have it uncased , send it to me and leave it alone so not to damage your crown and i will install u a brand new tube for christmas

i hate hearing those horror stories and it sounds u gave it your best and u tried hard, just email me or pm for details and i should be able to fix that up for u in a jiffy

merry christmas

joe

merry christmas

joe

Nice gesture, Joe!

merry christmas

joe

That's nice

Yep, Joe's your man! And he types faster than I do, also. While I'm giving you a long drawn out disertation, he just says, "send it to me." But at least I've explained to you what he'll be doing in fixing your watch. That's the great thing about this board, we've got people who can help you fix/mod your watch and if you hang around long enough you can learn how to do this stuff yourself. You may not always get it right but you're learning and that's cool. too.

This thread has made me nervous as I have YM with a stripped tube. I thought I could find a new crown and tube and work on it. Now that looks really unwise. I would love to find someone who I could pay to fix it with a new tube and probably a crown. The watch has an ETA movement so it is worth saving. I am not looking for a freebie.

Suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I will be traveling after Christmas so will be waiting for the new year.

Have a great Christmas and thanks for this thread.

Ian