When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tempus Machina replica, how would you do it?

hologramet

Thanks a bunch!

A tip for anyone wanting to try the similar:

1) Buy some type of epoxy-putty that fastens in 5-10 minutes (e.g. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-2-oz-Universal-Epoxy-Putty-1937545/205478577)
2) Remove all paint (incl. pearl) from the stock triangle area
3) Mix a mini-amount of epoxy-putty
4) Fill up the triangle area (press hard so it really fills it up)
5) Save a tiny bit of extra amount and try to mould a triangle on top... I used a scalpel's side part (any knife will do) and slowly work/press from each angle until you reach desired "angles)
6) Let it dry thoroughly
7) Use some super-smooth e.g. 1200 grit-paper to even it out (MASK AROUND THE TRIANGLE... since the paper WILL damage the ceramic insert)
8] Use a enamel paint (I used Humbrol semi-matte), apply one layer at a time, with the correct dry time between (1-2 days)
9) Clean up the edges with a scalpel and if needed use the same 1200 grit to slowly build up as many layers with the correct form that is needed...

I take it this one is a keeper for you yea?  I wish Tempus would show a DIRECT photo of the caseback so we could see exactly how their engravings look!

Yeah... I think it's a keeper... Well see how it turns out. If the juice was worth the squeeze, and if the taste was to my liking. Funny that you say that since I decided to make a suiting  case back. I present...  A modded Sub-C in a bubble style.. 

tmp_14627-IMG_20151110_0623461434387952.

Thanks!

Wrist shots... :nono: nahh, not yet. It looks like some weird creation only a color blind-watchmaker could create currently... 

I still have lots left to do:

1) Drill lug holes (?), not sure I'm actually going to do it. Don't want to risk messing up the SEL-fitment, also it will be used with the bracelet all the time (otherwise I prefer lug holes to avoid scratching up the whole watch all the time)
2) Wait for the custom dial to arrive + add some fluffy texture to it with Watch-lume Extreme C1
3) Wait for goodluck-hk-gold sub hands to arrive + relume them
4) Change hands/dial + remove date-function on the A2836-2
5) Drill + tap for Athaya Big Crown
6) Fix rocking bezel-issue
7) Change case back to modded one
8] Polish the triangle area to remove some light brushing achieved during sanding + add a couple of more final layers of red enamel paint
9) Change crystal to (most likely) helenarou 6538-homage-xtal (or TigerConcept 6538-homage-xtal) and find suiting crystal gasket

Btw.. I've decided to sell one of the extra dials I'm going to receive, so if anyone is interested, especially in EU, send me a PM. The cost is 150 USD + shipping, but I'm letting it go for 130 USD. The ones that have already PM'ed me earlier have priority.

Cheers,

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

As I came to the conclusion that I probably shouldn't start messing with removing the movement etc, even after buying all the equipment I have now halted.

Still waiting on my custom dials, HR has been stalling, They should have been printed next week 1 month ago. Anyways, been swamped by work and decided to set my limits.

Sent out a detailed job description to a modder well-known on forums to see what the quote for finishing the job will be.

IMG_20151206_183105.thumb.JPG.3c9a9927c7

Semi LV/ Semi-MOD-strap/Semi-Big Crown says hi. A very confused fellow. A bit uncertain to his identity, still soul seaching.

/V

F-i-n-a-l-l-y HR has sent out some goodies.

2 fresh Seagull 2836-2 clones

2 fresh  300/1000-dials

And a branded HR6538

Hopefully this project can continue soon...

---

Just been thinking, wonder wether the Dark Lord (whose can can only be wispered, not spoken) it the maker of these dials. Or is this art still this raffinated amonst many "unknown" manufacturers.

So.. Now I've talked to Big Daz:

• Lume & texture my 2 TM300/1000-dials + gold hands from goodluck.
  • Lume & texture a 29 mm 6538 COSC from HR w/ HR hands and TigerConcept big lollipop-hand
  • Lume & texture a 29 mm 6538 "Submariner" from HR w/ TigerConcept hands

The italics are for a HR 6538 á la Big Daz w/ Clarks T19. Similar to this one:

Beautiful.thumb.jpg.eb533593b4c139d4997c

IMG_20151222_093853.JPG

Look what the cat just dragged in.

A HR 6538 with the new dial. Great quality. Nice gloss. Very good raised printing, crispy.

(However the 8mm Brevet from HR was a big mistake. It's gigantic, and it protrudes about 3 mm too much from the case.) 

Wow, now that is getting much closer!

2 steps closer 1 step back...

I asked HR to make the indices 10% bigger... so he made the lume 10% bigger without enhancing the rings around. So now... no "gilt" around the lume plots.

Wooptidoo..

Patience is always the name of the game with these projects isn't it... It looks great, it'll be worth it in the end.

Patience is always the name of the game with these projects isn't it... It looks great, it'll be worth it in the end.

I'm unused to the lost in translation. In my line of work, everyone speaks English... Well..

I'll ask BigDaz to fluff up the lume and hopefully draw away from the vanished gilt surrounds...

there's one extra dial with correct 116113-hands going to him for  reluming / texture-magic. Anyone interested?

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a little mid-case update.

I've accepted the fact that however I try, it wont be a replica, so i might as well do my own take on it.

I present to you thiiiiiiiiiin lugs and an updated bezel (that I'm getting quite satisfied with).

IMG_20160106_150753.thumb.JPG.e338472fb6

IMG_20160106_151020.thumb.JPG.bae000b846

Is there ANYONE that can guide me toward a crystal gasket and double domed sapphire that fits a gen-spec midcase?

• Like 1

.....did you get one???? Uh if so.... Pics please !!!

No, unfortunately, I did not get one. Even if I had that kind of money I don't think I'd put it into this gen. 

I wrote to them and ask a few questions and said that I would like a picture of the case back and this is what they sent.