When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Where Did You Graduate From And What Degrees Do You Hold?

thomasng

That is false. I have friends who are teachers who spent lots of money on education, getting their MBAs, etc. who went back to teaching for a paltry salary. They could have high-paying jobs but choose to go into teaching.

This is the same path I'm taking. I had a $300,000 job more than a year ago, as part of an accounting firm, but I decided to give it all up for a PhD, and hoping to go into teaching, for the rewarding experience. Money means nothing to me anymore, as I think I can retire comfortably for the rest of my life with my wealth. :)

Hmmm, sorry but that last statement says to me you don't really get what the poster was saying, and that you are in no position to include yourself with those who have made this sacrifice - you have that luxury to fall back on.

Anyway, it wasn't that long ago you were on here proposing to move to London (Sloane Square wasn't it?) and telling all and sundry about the exact size of your new salary :brow: So what happened? An epiphany? Don't tell me bean-counters have a soul after all? :lol:

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet it means if you start poor, you'd better hope for a sporting scholarship or it'll take you generations to crawl out. Oh, hang on, that's what's happening in the US with the racial divide. Yeah, makes sense.

Well said Pugs, I always took full grants (a paltry government sum that didn't even cover accommodation costs never mind books, skeleton, scalpels, living expenses etc.) and worked my way through university barely with the help of uncomfortably large student loans (which I am still paying off over 10 years later, almost clear though). However I still consider myself lucky to be afforded the opportunity.

It's even worse for students now here in the UK what with tuition fees etc. and we have a situation where academically-less gifted students with rich parents are the only ones who can afford to study what are rapidly becoming devalued degrees (media studies? pfff :rolleyes:) at devalued institutions. Meanwhile, levels of basic education and even literacy in the inner cities is at crisis point whilst levels of crime are rising rapidly. You figure it out, I can't.

That is false. I have friends who are teachers who spent lots of money on education, getting their MBAs, etc. who went back to teaching for a paltry salary. They could have high-paying jobs but choose to go into teaching.

This is the same path I'm taking. I had a $300,000 job more than a year ago, as part of an accounting firm, but I decided to give it all up for a PhD, and hoping to go into teaching, for the rewarding experience. Money means nothing to me anymore, as I think I can retire comfortably for the rest of my life with my wealth. :)

and didnt you tell us that you were made to leave because the firm was downsizing or something? and that you were given a heap of money as a pay out?

now you tell us you chose to leave?

and yeh... why do you always need to brag how much money you used to earn and how much you have now?

just wondering...

and didnt you tell us that you were made to leave because the firm was downsizing or something? and that you were given a heap of money as a pay out?

now you tell us you chose to leave?

In fairness, I think he's saying that he had that job, and then later he gave up the profession - he was giving the chronology, not saying that one flowed from the other.

There is no reason to spend $100,000 or more on an education than to have a successful career. No one goes to school, gets an MBA and works at Mcdonalds just to say they had a character building experience. No matter what anyone says, money is the biggest motivator. Anyone who says otherwise is broke or full of [censored].

That is a [censored] comparison. First, he didn’t get an MBA. Obviously (or, it should be obvious), career goals for people who go for an MBA are different from others disciplines.

If you go to the dept of Commerce, State, Treasury, etc in the US, you will find that most bureaucrats (who are obviously not in it for the money) have advanced degrees from high quality schools. With that type of education, one could make double in the private sector.

And, As I stated earlier, any education past a Master's degree only regresses your income potential due to excess costs. And I am not "broke or full of [censored]." If you went to school and studied economics, you would know that a PhD does not prove to be more profitable.

Three undergrads: Hon. B.A., B.Sc., B.F.A.

Three grads: D.V.M., M.A., M.Sc.

I'd trade 'em all for more time in The Pit. NOTHING schools like life.

That said, having the ability to neuter annoying colleagues and give them a tick bath does have its uses...

Sure they do, as long as it's not their money. :D

What I don't understand is the perceived necessity for a degree to get the good jobs. Is it an artificially maintained divide between poor and rich, whereby you need to pay the six-figure entrance fee to get in on the fast track? I presume this is a US-bias, as in the UK education is a hell of a lot cheaper and you can do well without an old school tie or fraternity chant.

Go Obscure-Animals-To-Which-We-Liken-Our-Sports-Team!

I dont think that is true. Certainly, there is a barrier to enter for jobs that require a college degree. That being said, there isnt a barrier to entry into the American university system. For the vast majority of students, access to universities is based on merit. Legacy does matter for some schools, but the amount of students in the American education system that are there only because of legacy represents a very small portion. As far as costs go, obviously it easier if your family can fund it, but there lots of opportunities for student loans, etc.

Also, the amount of universities in the US far exceed those in Europe. I need to look through my old Economist mags. They had a case study on US vs. European University level education, and it mentioned all of what I just stated. Also, it went into the fact that European Union countries are spending billions in order to model its system to America. They actually mentioned that old school ties are actually more prevalent in places France, which lead to govt jobs, etc that are unattainable if you arent in the know.

You are making it like the only schools in the US are Harvard and Yale and the only way to get in is if your daddy went there, which certainly is not the case.

Yet it means if you start poor, you'd better hope for a sporting scholarship or it'll take you generations to crawl out.

[censored]. Id say 90% of my peers had a decent amount of debt coming out of college (including myself). Its like starting a business, you have to go into debt to make money later.

[censored]. Id say 90% of my peers had a decent amount of debt coming out of college (including myself). Its like starting a business, you have to go into debt to make money later.

A decent amount of debt coming out of college isn't what I was talking about. If you have no money, how do you get into the schools in the first place?

How many truly poor-yet-average kids were in your class at college? Now, how many rich-but-average kids were there?

A decent amount of debt coming out of college isn't what I was talking about. If you have no money, how do you get into the schools in the first place?

Most university application fees are $60-80. Also, one would have to take the SAT or ACT test for the application. At my high school, for students who couldnt afford the test fee, the high school would cover the cost.

Also, application fees to community colleges dont exist (at least at the ones I went to).

Moreover, being poor can makes your application more competitive at universities. Colleges are always looking to fill quotas, give schalorships, etc to poor people.

How many truly poor-yet-average kids were in your class at college? Now, how many rich-but-average kids were there?

Obviously, I cant really answer that. But the whole definition of "poor" and "rich" is subjective. For example, 38% of the persons whom the US Census Bureau identifies as "poor" own their own homes with a median value of $72,200, and 62% of "poor" households own a car.

Most university application fees are $60-80. Also, one would have to take the SAT or ACT test for the application. At my high school, for students who couldnt afford the test fee, the high school would cover the cost.

And fees once you're in? That's what I'm talking about.

Nice evasion on the poor students though.

In the U.S. there is more federal/grant/scholarship college assistance for the "poor" student than for anyone else. So, any student who has demonstrated the ability to do college work can get into a college and can get the financial aid to make college feasible for them. They may have to take a part time job to help, though, and many do. That is not to say that everyone should get a college education. For many, a technical school or trade school is the best choice.

Edited by olivia

I have a PhD

209586-17015.jpg

I dont want to give too many details about where and when but I have studied at The University of Oslo, and at one other University in Norway. I have also studied abroad at a University in Houston Texas and among the places I have worked as a scientist is UBC, Vancouver, BC.......

I have a PhD

209698-16996.jpg

I dont want to give too many details about where and when but I have studied at The University of Oslo, and at one other University in Norway. I have also studied abroad at a University in Houston Texas and among the places I have worked as a scientist is UBC, Vancouver, BC.......

Was it Rice Univ in Houston? My girlfriend went there.

Im an economist by trade, if anyone cares :lol:

I was wondering, which universities/colleges did people here graduate from?

Me:

University of Toronto St. George (Joseph L. Rotman School of Management)- Bachelor of Commerce

University of Western Ontario- Richard Ivey School of Business- Executive MBA

Monterrey TEC Mexico , Business, class of 1990

International commerce bachelor Comillas Spain