When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage help

QueTip

Hey, considering I'm TOTALLY new to vintage builds, I'll start off with this, I've done a lot of reading and stuff but I couldn't find any answers to this.. 

If you're wanting to give your 'white' dial a nice patina and nice vintage look to it by baking, can you put the whole watch in the oven with the case or does it HAVE to be dial and hands only?

I mean this way, I could do it myself without having to send it out to my WS as I don't have the tools and patience to remove hands and dials.. 

Hope somone of yous can help me! 

Most Gen vintage doesn't look anything like it was baked in an oven. A little patina is nice but too much doesn't look right imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idk [censored] about vintage pieces and what which technique gives it.. 

I've been in the pre ceramic timeframe until now.. So excuse my noobiness in this lol

They say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".  It all depends on amount of "aging" you're looking to achieve.

thermal_test2.jpg

Looks like an eBay special "VINTAGE ROLEX!!! ..lightly used, bezel may need tweaking"

Edited by Pontiaddict

There is some counter intuitive aspect to the aging issue. I have not actually tried any steps yet myself (I will soon), but here's what I do know.

Tritium turns lighter in sunlight and darkens/patinates in the dark. Therfore, a safe queen with little to no wear should actually have the most developed patina. But this is not what people do when they age their reps. They do the opposite. They age the case and bezel, making it look like it was beat up through years of use out in the sun, and they age the dial markers and hands with lots of patina. In reality, a watch with that much natural wear would have little patina on the lume.

So to make a believable piece, you either need to age everything else and then keep the markers and hands creamy, or age those and keep the rest of the case clean and well cared for. This is the route I like. I take care of my belongings and there is no reason why any of my watches would be trashed.

• Like 1